944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

PNP VEMs in a early NA

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PNP VEMs in a early NA

For folks still researching on standalone options for whatever reason.

Check-in with Raceboy (Peep)

I just installed it after staring at it for almost a month. Truly Plug N' Play, installed the wideband, deleted the AFM and installed an IAT and variable TPS....all came with custom pigtail adapters to the stock plugs. The idle is so smooth and the exhaust tone changed to a more defined and crisp sound. He included a base config so it drives, just need to fine tune it now. Running the stock dist and coil for now, will add in the wasted spark kit he included...all prepped to add to the harness. My 944 is an NA so the internal MAP just needed to be tee'd to the plenum.

The support Peep has given me has been spot on. Got me through new terminology and technology via many, many emails. It's running now and so far very good.

Support from Estonia to Hawaii....no problem.

I looked into Augtronic, MS and even modernized replacement DMEs....read hundreds of DIY folks and for the money spent, I have more time enjoying driving and tuning.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:29 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for this posting. Could you post some more pics of your installation. IAT, harness under the dashboard, under the hood etc... I'm really considering to go the VEMS route too. This will come as my winter project.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:14 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

I'm waiting on some aluminum pipe and coupler for the permanent IAT or AFM delete pipe. The TPS literally is a swap out (exact fit) and Peep provides two custom adapter cables with OEM fittings to plug right in and correctly re-wire for the new sensors. I vac tee'd my FPR back to a internal map sensor on the VEMs and the harness is a donor Motronic ECU socket and Peep solders that to the VEMs two plugs. You can see them here,

I can and will post pictures of it all finished soon, right now I'm changing the clutch out.

Last edited by mdnt08; 04-10-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: missing url
Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Excellent!! Please send progress and finals!! Thank you!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

Will do.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by H.F.B.
Thank you for this posting. Could you post some more pics of your installation. IAT, harness under the dashboard, under the hood etc... I'm really considering to go the VEMS route too. This will come as my winter project.
no pics handy but on my VEMS I put the IAT in the factory air filter box lid (just drilled a new hole).

the ecu plugs into the factory DME harness with its own short "adapter harness" that I just zip-tied in place to other wire bundles/brackets down there.

as he said the VEMS comes with some other adapter harness pieces that plug directly into the factory DME harness at the engine. so you connect the new TPS to the original TPS connector. you connect the IAT sensor to the factory AFM plug, and it has a branch that goes and controls the idle valve as well.

everything looks like "it belongs there".
Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Thanks, great to hear.

And yes that's what I want too:
The option for VEMS in stealth mode

Quote: Raceboy on another Forum:
...VEMS board fitted inside Porsche 944 NA Motronic DME case! Only with some extras like integrated wideband controller, knock sensing, EGT controller and integrated Bluetooth connectivity. 250 kPa MAP sensor is external, residing in the hollowed out AFM casing. Totally stealth!..
Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

no pics handy but on my VEMS I put the IAT in the factory air filter box lid (just drilled a new hole).

the ecu plugs into the factory DME harness with its own short "adapter harness" that I just zip-tied in place to other wire bundles/brackets down there.

as he said the VEMS comes with some other adapter harness pieces that plug directly into the factory DME harness at the engine. so you connect the new TPS to the original TPS connector. you connect the IAT sensor to the factory AFM plug, and it has a branch that goes and controls the idle valve as well.

ok, so my VEMS Kit arrived today. Where did you hook-up the vacuum line? I'd appreciate a photo.

Unfortunately there was no WBO2 extension cable in my parcel. So right now, I can't connect the O2 sensor to the ECU. But the engine should start without the sensor. Will see if I get the engine started tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i wish i could provide a photo but my phone camera died during a trip through the washing machine..

i added a "T" to the vacuum line that connects the throttle body to the fuel regulator/damper.
right behind the throttle plate, so the ECU sees the same vacuum pressure as the fuel system...
Old 07-08-2017, 03:32 AM
H.F.B.
Pro

i wish i could provide a photo but my phone camera died during a trip through the washing machine..

i added a "T" to the vacuum line that connects the throttle body to the fuel regulator/damper.
right behind the throttle plate, so the ECU sees the same vacuum pressure as the fuel system...
Thx! Will do the same.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:55 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Ok, engine is running good without the WBO sensor connected.
But the ICV isn't controlled properly. Out of the box, the engine starts, but idle goes up an down. No stable idle. I can assure no vacuum leaks. With the Rogue MAF-Kit the idle was perfect.
Then I swapped the wires at PIN 33/34. Result high idle around 2000 RPM.

I have no idea what to do next. So I disconnected the ICV Plug and closed the ICV. Now I have a stable idle, at least as long as the engine is warm enough.

Another thing. When I change gears at 6500 RPM I get a nice exhaust bang. Will see if this is still there, when I once have the WBO sensor connected.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

talk to peep...
the VEMS comes with a "start up tune" but you likely need to dial in the VE table a little bit to make it perfect to adjust to your particular car.

you could let it "auto tune" but you need the WB for that.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:05 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

talk to peep...
the VEMS comes with a "start up tune" but you likely need to dial in the VE table a little bit to make it perfect to adjust to your particular car.

you could let it "auto tune" but you need the WB for that.
Yes, got the right help from Peep. His support is super quick. Nearly real-time analysis.

Had to change Idle hardware settings, output channel from 6/i7 to i6/7.
Then calibrated the TPS. Was indeed mirror inverted.
Now it works.
Engine runs already really really good with this base tune.
When I get my WBO extension cable, I will let it "auto tune".
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H.F.B.
Yes, got the right help from Peep. His support is super quick. Nearly real-time analysis.
i learned quickly that my $$ spent on VEMS was worth every penny from Peep's response time - you are spot-on, nearly instant (especially since you are nearly Continental "neighbors"), for me worst case I get an answer the next morning.

18+ months of happy VEMSing..

you will like the auto-tune, a lot.

turn it on (youll need your laptop in the car) and just go driving...i have done 100km highway trips with autotune on, just varying the throttle and speed/rpm, up hills, down hills, etc to let it learn all driving conditions, give it enough time to gather WB data and it adjusts for you...auto-tune was why i sold my NA-tune to buy VEMS.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:12 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Here is an update of my happy VEMSing

Finished today my wasted spark installation.
Without doubt, this is another great improvement over the stock ignition system.
I really recommend doing that.

Last edited by H.F.B.; 07-16-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Turned the photo 90° left.

Quick Reply: PNP VEMs in a early NA