Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

My stock wheels bend frequently on track -- anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017 | 03:06 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default My stock wheels bend frequently on track -- anyone else?

I have about 3k track miles on my GT4 and about 1.5k road miles so far. The track miles are mostly at NJMP with some more at Summit Point and VIR.

I use the apex and track-out curbing regularly, depending on the track and particular corner. I'm realizing that this practice is costly. In particular, the inner barrel/rim of the front wheels typically gets slightly bent. For me, it's usually the left side of the car -- makes sense since most of my corners are right handed and the track-out wheel takes more load than the apex wheel.

Since I swap wheels left/right, the bends end up on both wheels. I just had the fronts straightened ($150 each, amazing job by the local Allow Wheel Repair guy -- no visual runout when spinning after reinstalling them).

Even one of my rears is bent now, but it's minor so I'm going to wait awhile to true that one.

I'm switching to OZ flow formed wheels after tomorrow's track day so we'll see if those are any more durable than the stock wheels.

I guess I could stay off the curbing but then my laptimes would suffer and my NJMP rankings would be in jeoparday.

Anyone else notice their stock wheels bending pretty regularly due to track use?
Old 04-06-2017 | 03:17 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I forgot to add that I'm actually thinking of making something like these things that the repair shops use.

Seems that a pair of shapped push shapes and a hand pumped hydraulic cylinder would be all that's needed. Maybe a bore-mouned spindle for a dial indicator, too.

https://www.gammatradeusa.com/Easy-R...ir-p/easy1.htm

http://www.acu-tru.com/wheelrepairsu...remier-package

Old 04-06-2017 | 03:21 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

You're not the first to report problems with stock wheels.
Check this out https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9809...-uploaded.html I've had excellant results with OZ wheels over the years, with 19" on the GT4 there is minimal clearnce at the front brake caliper. Trying a set of CCW forged.
Old 04-06-2017 | 09:38 PM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Yes I have bent the front wheel as well. Not complaining as I run very low tire psi when on track (24 cold).
Old 04-06-2017 | 10:45 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

I bent two passenger side wheels at turn 5 track out gators at NJMP. I run 25 PSI cold. Cost me $$!
Old 04-07-2017 | 01:36 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Cast aluminum isn't the best choice for bending and straightening multiple times.
Old 04-07-2017 | 11:47 PM
esse10229
Advanced

I spent my PhD study Al alloy strengthening mechanisms, the basic ideal of fixing bent wheel is to heat it up in order to straight it. The problem with this method is, your wheel strength will decrease after heating. So it is not a good idea to continue using those wheels for track.

Quick Reply: My stock wheels bend frequently on track -- anyone else?