Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the secret to clean all the glue from the interior??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:43 PM
kandutery
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the secret to clean all the glue from the interior??

Hi. I'm restoring my 993 4S and the part of the glue removing is the worst for me. I try a lot of powerful solvents abd i can't find any product that can disolve this satanic sticky thing

With the multitool i can remove most part of it, but i can remove the thin layer of glue. I use polyurethane solvent, acetone, kerosene, etc

Is any magical product to remove the glue more easely? I think the german of the factory throws all the bottle in my car because under the carpet was absolutely full

A photo of my pathetical work

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I used methyl ethyl ketone, a good VOC respirator, solvent-resistant gloves, a bunch of old towels and fresh air. I removed the adhesive from my interior in this way. Others have used dry ice.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull out as much as you can by hand. I tried everything except dry ice and concluded there was no easy solution. Heat and solvents work, but make a big mess.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I used methyl ethyl ketone, a good VOC respirator, solvent-resistant gloves, a bunch of old towels and fresh air. I removed the adhesive from my interior in this way. Others have used dry ice.
3M makes something. I think it is just called "adhesive and tar remover." Don't know what the ingredients are.

Same thing though - requires a respirator, fresh air change, solver-resistant gloves, no exposed skin, old towels, etc.

Disposable plastic scrapers come in handy. Heat is good on the big sound mats, not sure if the 993 has those.

It is a PITA. Takes a good ten+ hours.

Dry ice is an alternative, but expensive.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

I dont that remember what it's called, but there is a rubber wheel (feels like a pencil eraser) that you mount in a drill... Body shops use it to remove trim glue..
That does a pretty good job of collecting the heaviest globs of glue... Then 3m adhesive remover was the best thing I could find to dissolve the remaining glue... Still not any easy job, but the best that I found...

Acetone/Mel work as well as the 3m, but much more volotile, and the 3m is Ina spray can, so easier to apply and let soak.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 AM
RSCS
Instructor

Default Glue removal

Kandutery, there is no easy way to remove the glue. I tried dry ice but all it did was spray little bits of glue all over the cabin(see PROJECT RSR). I used Xylene you have to be patient and just spray, wipe, spray, wipe etc. Make sure you use a good respirator and have plenty of ventilation
Old 03-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Shahrams
Instructor

I removed most of the glue very easy, i took one of the small gas flame guns and flamed small sections, like 5"x5" and removed the almost melted glue with a towel. You have to be very carefull but it works very easy and is a clean process. If you go this route you have to remove all the rubber plugs and plastic retainers before.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what some may refer to above. MUST use in well ventilated area as VERY toxic and explosive: Naphtha, Xylene, Acetone, Ethylbenzene, Toluene.......
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I forgot to mention that I also had two large fans, one an industrial fan, positioned to constantly add and exhaust fresh air while I was using the MEK. The fumes were still nutty, though.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
the 3m is Ina spray can, so easier to apply and let soak.
Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
This is what some may refer to above.

I've never seen it in aerosol. Aerosol seems even more dangerous!

They make it in liquid form.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I forgot to mention that I also had two large fans, one an industrial fan, positioned to constantly add and exhaust fresh air while I was using the MEK. The fumes were still nutty, though.
+1 air change, respirator, goggles, and no exposed skin are very important!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM
kandutery
Instructor

thank you very much friends. Is a good help for me.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
This is what some may refer to above. MUST use in well ventilated area as VERY toxic and explosive: Naphtha, Xylene, Acetone, Ethylbenzene, Toluene.......
+993 air change, respirator, goggles, and no exposed skin are very important!
WoW! VERY TOXIC STUFF!

Tough on human organs if inhaled, absorbed through skin, or inadvertly consumed.

As others have mentioned regarding ventilation and personal protective equipment (PPE). High quality respirator, gloves, eyes, and skin.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Just finished doing this last week. Three bottles of Goo Gone and lots of patience. Then a final clean up with denatured alcohol mixed with water. It also helps to make a ball out of the glue, and roll it back and forth to pick up the glue.

Cheers!

Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This would have to be one of the worst jobs I have ever done on my car, I have tried all of the above, realistically, patience is the biggest tool needed, there is nothing that either makes it easy or quick. Pick your poison (literally) and settle in for the long haul...

Originally Posted by Foxman
Just finished doing this last week. Three bottles of Goo Gone and lots of patience. Then a final clean up with denatured alcohol mixed with water. It also helps to make a ball out of the glue, and roll it back and forth to pick up the glue.

Cheers!
Nice work there Foxman, want to come up and do mine? Have Beer/Wine, place to sleep
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman

Cheers!

Foxman, That is without a doubt, the cleanest removal I have ever seen!
GREAT JOB!

Quick Reply: What is the secret to clean all the glue from the interior??