Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the secret to clean all the glue from the interior??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Foxman, That is without a doubt, the cleanest removal I have ever seen!
GREAT JOB!
Thanks nine9six, it's hard to stop once you get started. Hopefully all that prep work will pay off with a smooth RS carpet install.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Just finished doing this last week. Three bottles of Goo Gone and lots of patience. Then a final clean up with denatured alcohol mixed with water. It also helps to make a ball out of the glue, and roll it back and forth to pick up the glue.

Cheers!

Wow! Please share some more details regarding your method (ie. tools, etc). I'm more comfortable using Goo Gone than some of the toxic alternatives. How long did it take?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Achtung964
Wow! Please share some more details regarding your method (ie. tools, etc). I'm more comfortable using Goo Gone than some of the toxic alternatives. How long did it take?
Goo Gone, plastic stripping tool of your choice, and a case of paper towels. I used a .99 cent plastic putty blade from Home Depot. Let the Goo Gone sit for 15 minutes or so, then agitate with the plastic tool, then wipe with the paper towel. Repeat, repeat, repeat. After a while the glue softens up and wipes off pretty easily. You need to keep using fresh paper towels to avoid simply spreading the glue around.

The car smells like an orange grove, but I'm sure the old smell of oil and leather will return. The nice thing about the Goo Gone is it probably won't kill you like most of the other solutions. One downside is it will take you another hour or so wiping the car with degreaser and denatured alcohol to remove all the Goo Gone and prep the car for recarpet, dynamat or whatever. Good luck, and keep the fridge stocked with cold beer!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention, it took about two full days to clean her out properly after everything was removed. 46 lbs. of carpet and heavy insulation gone.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Wow, outstanding! Reminds me of the challenge of trying to remove the goo that held the fender guards on the rear quarters only on a much grander scale. My question is do you plan to put a new interior back in? It seems a shame to glue it all up again. Maybe there is a way to avoid using such a recalcitrant adhesive. Maybe a semi-permanent adhesive or even self-adhesive sound pads.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Wow, outstanding! Reminds me of the challenge of trying to remove the goo that held the fender guards on the rear quarters only on a much grander scale. My question is do you plan to put a new interior back in? It seems a shame to glue it all up again. Maybe there is a way to avoid using such a recalcitrant adhesive. Maybe a semi-permanent adhesive or even self-adhesive sound pads.
I'm using 3M's Foam Fast 74 Orange in keeping with the citrus theme. It has an aggressive tack, but it's nothing like that German horse glue. In any event, I'm applying Dynamat Superlite to the interior panels, so it will be a whole new adventure next time around.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

methyl ethyl ketone Brakes down the glue it will do the job but you need ventilation
Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
This would have to be one of the worst jobs I have ever done on my car
I totally agree. I hated almost every minute of it. Now I am very happy I did it though.

--Michael

The 3M stuff is brutal.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Foxman: GREAT effort! I am an avid user of GooGone. The longer it sets the better. Repeat applications help as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:23 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that is one hell of a good job Foxman! impressive using just goo gone too!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:58 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

is it feasible to just dremel or wire brush off as much as you can, leaving a texture of residue that new glue can adhere to? most of the carpet varieties are pretty thick so perhaps any imperfections underneath would not even be noticed. just a thought.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

I did it with lots of PB Blaster. I didn't want to fade the interior as some here have with the heavier duty solvents. I will say I'll need to touch the harnesses up with a rewrap to get it back to a factory look (no glue residue).

Michael
Old 03-30-2017, 12:23 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
is it feasible to just dremel or wire brush off as much as you can, leaving a texture of residue that new glue can adhere to? most of the carpet varieties are pretty thick so perhaps any imperfections underneath would not even be noticed. just a thought.
You'll ruin the paint underneath. In addition, that wheel would clog up in a few seconds. Time and a proper solvent depending on your PPE is all that's needed......

Michael
Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Another nasty option is xylene or toluene straight out of the can. Active ingredient in Goof Off which is a diluted form. Place a rag down and soak with xylene allow to stand for 10 minutes or so and then the glue just rolls off. Took me less than two hours to do the entire interior. Toluene will do the same thing but evaporates faster.

Proper safety equipment and ventilation is a must.

Quick Reply: What is the secret to clean all the glue from the interior??