Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Worth it to keep a Millennium Edition stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
The wood accents are apparently a perennial problem in all the models. A 2000 C2 I am looking at has the full dark maple package.

I managed to get the complete service history from the dealer that sold and serviced the car to the original owner. Of all the service calls on the car, 80% were for wood trim that was cracking or peeling off the car.

Even pieces the dealer replaced are still peeling off years later. The armrest storage cover is cracked, the door pull is slowly sliding off, both the vents at each end of the dash are peeling up. Other than that, the car is a beauty.

Wow, if that's the case, my wood is in pretty good shape with just a handful of cracks on the top and bottom portions. Between the polished wheel finish chipping and the cracked wood, seems like these special features weren't exactly built to stand the test of time (oh the irony).

Here's a YT vid of a ME for sale in decent shape with pieces of the wood straight up missing on the steering wheel.

(@2:34)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonripley
The battery was from 2011 so I think its time was just up. Took it to Autozone to be tested and sure enough, it was very dead. Purchased a new Duralast Platinum and installed it. The last owner didn't utilize the vent tube, so neither did I.

On another topic, my tax bill is higher that expected this year so that has put my mods on hold for now. I have the side markers on order so I got that going for me, which is nice.
Suggest you do use the vent tube. These batteries do gas and the last thing you want is have corrosive vapor or liquid get into that area.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for posting that video!

Check out the pics in this Millenium Edition sales ad. They did a good job of catching the greenish side of the chromaflair paint. I'm really starting to like these cars a lot!

http://www.luxuryautoselection.com/w...nois/28549856/
Old 03-12-2017, 06:53 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

deleted
Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I think keeping it original only matters if you want to sell it as such. Do what you want and enjoy it.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:51 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaetee
Thanks for posting that video!

Check out the pics in this Millenium Edition sales ad. They did a good job of catching the greenish side of the chromaflair paint. I'm really starting to like these cars a lot!

http://www.luxuryautoselection.com/w...nois/28549856/
Link doesn't work.

Yeah, I absolutely love this car more and more everyday. Its unique amongst other 996's. I find myself often staring at it longingly. How did this gem manage to come to me? No matter. It is my own now... My precious!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Link doesn't work.

Yeah, I absolutely love this car more and more everyday. Its unique amongst other 996's. I find myself often staring at it longingly. How did this gem manage to come to me? No matter. It is my own now... My precious!
Bummer.... the site must have been taken down. It was a beautiful example with pics shot under very nice lighting that brought out the greenish side exceptionally well. Looked like it should have been called Green Chromoflair instead of Violet Chromoflair. IIRC, the car had around 30k miles and a $29k pricetag.

I want one....
Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Bummer.... the site must have been taken down. It was a beautiful example with pics shot under very nice lighting that brought out the greenish side exceptionally well. Looked like it should have been called Green Chromoflair instead of Violet Chromoflair. IIRC, the car had around 30k miles and a $29k pricetag.

I want one....

They're out there. Here's one in Miami with 16k miles.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car...tml?no_cache=1

I really want to know how many of the nine-hundred and eleven made are still around and where they're located.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up on that super low miles example! Nice premium on the price, too... let the hunt begin! LOL!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To me, any kind of Special or Limited Edition of a car always holds a little more regard. I can appreciate that they're special and a little more exclusive. Still, I don't see a whole lot of premium value added to past Anniversary 911s (1989 25th), Weissach, or other limited cars that had special appearance packages.
The 3.2 Clubsport, 964 RS 3.8, Carrera 4 Lightweight and other examples have more value mostly because of performance enhancements.

I've talked before about the collector car market- largely, I find myself returning musclecars back to as close to stock as possible. In the current market, these are the best investments. I agree with all those who say keep any original parts you change!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:34 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Link doesn't work.

You scored on that one!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up on that super low miles example! Nice premium on the price, too... let the hunt begin! LOL!
I know of two more on the market. One in Cali the other NJ (I think)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Thanks for looking out, Bill. Do you know the miles/price of the Cali car? I just saw pics of the one in NJ for sale and it looks very clean indeed!

I am going to look at one in person on Friday. I've been talking to the seller for a while and have been told it's mine pending PPI on Friday morning. It's been tentatively pulled from the market and I just secured time off from work to finalize the deal. Taking oil and filter along with me...
Old 03-14-2017, 05:12 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Thanks for looking out, Bill. Do you know the miles/price of the Cali car? I just saw pics of the one in NJ for sale and it looks very clean indeed!

I am going to look at one in person on Friday. I've been talking to the seller for a while and have been told it's mine pending PPI on Friday morning. It's been tentatively pulled from the market and I just secured time off from work to finalize the deal. Taking oil and filter along with me...
36K miles
I PM'd it to you.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Exciting! I hope the deal works out for you.

Quick Reply: Worth it to keep a Millennium Edition stock?