Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilated seats less comfortable ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 AM
antoinerauis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventilated seats less comfortable ?

Hi everyone, new to the forum so please excuse any akwardness.

I just finished my configuration of my 991.2 and here is my question to the community :

i chose the standard sport seats because i find them significantly more comfortable than the sport plus. I love the principle of ventilated seats in general because leather tends to "stick" to my back when it gets hot/moist. I have them in my macan turbo and i think they do really "save you ***" in a lot of circumstances !

In order for the seats to be ventilated, some items are inserted within the foam structure of the seat itself (small pipes...) and i fear it would negatively alter the comfort of those. It was the case in my 2010 997 Targa, the (standard) seats were not comfortable at all due to that.

Does anybody has an info/idea about this ? I did configured my C2 in a comfort oriented way (19 inch wheels etc) and this is key for me.

Tx to everyone for your help !!!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:55 AM
porsche42
Racer

I have 18 way ventilated seats in my TTS and my wife has ventilated seats in her Cayenne. I love them, I wonder why I didn't order these before. My back sweats too and this seems to solve the problem at least here in the NE.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 AM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

14 way/ventilated seats here. No comfort issues
Old 03-05-2017, 09:25 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Had Porsche ventilated seats in both my 997 and 987 and loved them. Extremely comfortable and easy to maintain. They look good too.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

In both of my last 2 911s the 14 way and 18 way seats were heated & ventilated and both were quite comfortable even on the occasional very long drive.

I've seen a view of the insides of these somewhere. The structure is more like a conventional seat than you'd think. The ventilated seats actually pull cabin air in through the holes in the seating surface around your body, through the open interior volume (sealed around the bottom and sides of course) of the seat, then out of the vent in the seat back. It is basically a gentle large-area vacuum that just pulls air through the seat so no pipes are needed. You could swear it is blowing air, but it is not. They are nearly a must-have for me here in Central Texas.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

18 way here and was a requirement in my car to have vented seats. Very worth it.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:12 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard they are stiffer, but tough to compare. Maybe my seats aren't broken in yet? Very hard. 14k miles. Feels like a park bench after an hour of driving.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I had them in a 981 Cayman, very comfortable and quite effective.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:47 PM
antoinerauis
6th Gear

hi again. tx for your answers.
Yes i know this is a great option, of which i am convinced, i have had it on many cars, and have it currently on my macan turbo (of which seats are totally comfortable).
My fear comes from the fact that my 2010 997 had ventilated seats which were very stiff + i have tried a 991 turbo S with sport plus ventilated seats and found them hard VS i tried a basic C4 with standard non ventilated seats and found them super comfy....i have asked two porsche dealers one said 'no difference' the other 'of course you loose some foam layer in the process'...so the question remains open....anyone ?? tx !
Old 03-05-2017, 04:48 PM
antoinerauis
6th Gear

are you seats "sport" or "sport plus" ? because the latter are stiffer whether ventilated or not.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:51 PM
antoinerauis
6th Gear

Originally Posted by c_Gio
I have heard they are stiffer, but tough to compare. Maybe my seats aren't broken in yet? Very hard. 14k miles. Feels like a park bench after an hour of driving.
are you seats "sport" or "sport plus" ? because the latter are stiffer whether ventilated or not.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
antoinerauis
6th Gear

Originally Posted by StormRune
In both of my last 2 911s the 14 way and 18 way seats were heated & ventilated and both were quite comfortable even on the occasional very long drive.

I've seen a view of the insides of these somewhere. The structure is more like a conventional seat than you'd think. The ventilated seats actually pull cabin air in through the holes in the seating surface around your body, through the open interior volume (sealed around the bottom and sides of course) of the seat, then out of the vent in the seat back. It is basically a gentle large-area vacuum that just pulls air through the seat so no pipes are needed. You could swear it is blowing air, but it is not. They are nearly a must-have for me here in Central Texas.
interesting, if indeed no foam layer is lost in the process then it should be the same, and of course keeping is butt cold is another form of comfort! tx
Old 03-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I came out of the health club a little heated up today and so was the car until I got the top down. I turned on the ventilation and wow it's nice.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Ah, here's the image I was thinking of... it was posted by Gota911 in a 997 thread a long time ago. It appears the is one layer of foam just under the surface to facilitate airflow to the vacuum point, then a more conventional denser and thicker foam for the rest of the cushion.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM
antoinerauis
6th Gear

hmmm interesting...now i should see a picture of the regular seats to compare foam layers, tx a lot !

Quick Reply: Ventilated seats less comfortable ?