Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

AP 2 pc Rotors + Ferodo D1.11 = Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:59 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Weird. I never had smoke. 25 sounds like a lot though for brakes that are brand new. I drove them on the street for a while and did a few progressively longer 50% pressure stops, but not 15. They have been great with even wear and performance.
I did end up doing some really hard braking the last 8 times so everything got really hot. I'm sure they are bedded in just questioning why the requirement for 25 times.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've never bedded ds1.11. Just take it back a notch first track session then go full tilt.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Appreciate the input.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have this setup (AP rotors only on front until the rears wear more), but I think I'll be going back to OEM pads. The DS1.11s just weren't enough of an improvement on track to justify how unbelievably loud they are on the street. It wasn't too bad right after a track event, but I do a fair amount of street driving and haven't been on track for a few months recently, so the noise has become much worse, more than I want to deal with -- way louder than PFC 08s that I wasn't crazy about running on the street either. I can't even imagine what it's like for the pedestrians waiting on corners where I pull up to red lights. It also doesn't hurt that Suncoast has dropped their prices on OEM pads quite a bit in the last year or so.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

They are noisy but I do very little street driving, mostly to the shop and track. The pads are sufficiently superior to OEM pads for track usage that I can't imagine ever going back to OEM. This is my first time on Ferodo's so I will be monitoring performance as well as wear. I keep pretty good records on the amount of track miles I get out of brake pads. PFC's 11's did very well in both departments.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by futurz
They are noisy but I do very little street driving, mostly to the shop and track. The pads are sufficiently superior to OEM pads for track usage that I can't imagine ever going back to OEM. This is my first time on Ferodo's so I will be monitoring performance as well as wear. I keep pretty good records on the amount of track miles I get out of brake pads. PFC's 11's did very well in both departments.
I admit I might be remembering the OEM pads more fondly on track than they deserve. What I'll probably do is run out the DS1.11 fronts, switch all four corners back to the original OEM pads I still have since I swapped them early, and then if they turn out to disappoint, I may hope that the PFC 11s turn out to be my Goldilocks option.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:02 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I have this setup (AP rotors only on front until the rears wear more), but I think I'll be going back to OEM pads. The DS1.11s just weren't enough of an improvement on track to justify how unbelievably loud they are on the street. It wasn't too bad right after a track event, but I do a fair amount of street driving and haven't been on track for a few months recently, so the noise has become much worse, more than I want to deal with -- way louder than PFC 08s that I wasn't crazy about running on the street either. I can't even imagine what it's like for the pedestrians waiting on corners where I pull up to red lights. It also doesn't hurt that Suncoast has dropped their prices on OEM pads quite a bit in the last year or so.
I had that trouble with new pads, but (knock on wood), used pads seem to calm down - though I don't do anywhere near as much street driving. You're probably a lot faster now than you were the 1st day you tried OEm pads - so be careful on OEM pads now that you're hauling, especially T12 brake zone!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:54 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Interesting, I respect the opinion. With some heat and wear in the DS1.11s, I don't find them too noisy on the street. Although for me perhaps everything is quiet compared to how the Pagid yellows were on the 930. Sounded like a dump truck stopping. DS2500 on my subaru only make a little noise, but ME20s on the subaru seem moderately loud. The ME20s don't have any track time on them though, usually that quiets them a tad.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I had that trouble with new pads, but (knock on wood), used pads seem to calm down - though I don't do anywhere near as much street driving. You're probably a lot faster now than you were the 1st day you tried OEm pads - so be careful on OEM pads now that you're hauling, especially T12 brake zone!
Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Fortunately I'm always conservative starting out, if for no other reason than for the first session of the first day, nobody is awake yet anyway. And my next event will be the day after St. Patrick's Day!

Interesting, I respect the opinion. With some heat and wear in the DS1.11s, I don't find them too noisy on the street. Although for me perhaps everything is quiet compared to how the Pagid yellows were on the 930. Sounded like a dump truck stopping. DS2500 on my subaru only make a little noise, but ME20s on the subaru seem moderately loud. The ME20s don't have any track time on them though, usually that quiets them a tad.
I'm sure after my next track event or if I just went out and bedded them in they'd be mostly ok again since I remember them just being squeaky early on, but with the time between my track events and the amount of street driving I do, I'd prefer to avoid that because right now they really are dump truck bad. At least I have plenty of OEM pad left to see if I'm remembering them too fondly before committing, getting buyer's remorse, and promptly having to go back to these or try PFC 11.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so be careful on OEM pads now that you're hauling, especially T12 brake zone!
Why, what could possibly happen there???

...but I think I'll be going back to OEM pads.
Hey John, weren't you just in a McLaren that lost brakes in T12 and hit the wall???

Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I don't think you are going to find a better all round pad than the OEM pads. The issue is friction/adhesion causing vibration, and race pads don't have a dampening pad on the back to fight resonance like the OEM pads do.

The DS2500 is not a good street pad. It's minimum temp is too high, if you need to stop in a parking lot, you're in for a shock (ask me how I know).

I'm a bit worried for you if you go back to OEM pads on the track. The first time I had the car on the track at COTA it was totally stock - on CUP2s I could get them to fade if I was not careful. There was not a lot of headroom to handle an emergency. There is no way I would brake at 100m into T12 with OEM pads - which is what I'm sure you're doing given how strong of a driver you are.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

The DS2500 is not a good street pad. It's minimum temp is too high, if you need to stop in a parking lot, you're in for a shock (ask me how I know).
You're right, they do require a bit more effort when cold, but I never found them worrying in about 8 years, 120,000 street miles, and lots of costco runs in my WRX. (wow, didn't realize I've been running DS2500s for that long!) DS2500 pads aren't perfect, but I do think they had a pretty good street characteristic for actually working on the track, FWIW (few other WRX pads compared at least, but I think there are better options for the GT4)
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

You're right, they do require a bit more effort when cold, but I never found them worrying in about 8 years, 120,000 street miles, and lots of costco runs in my WRX. (wow, didn't realize I've been running DS2500s for that long!) DS2500 pads aren't perfect, but I do think they had a pretty good street characteristic for actually working on the track, FWIW (few other WRX pads compared at least, but I think there are better options for the GT4)
I ran them for years on my E46 M3, I liked them other than their cold start issues. I would switch to DTC-70s when going to the track (BBK made that a 5 minute job)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by trebien
Hey John, weren't you just in a McLaren that lost brakes in T12 and hit the wall???
Yeah, would still love to know what exactly happened there. No explanation seems entirely satisfying. Brakes hadn't cooled, apparently there was no long pedal, and he says he had his foot on the pedal....

I don't think you are going to find a better all round pad than the OEM pads. The issue is friction/adhesion causing vibration, and race pads don't have a dampening pad on the back to fight resonance like the OEM pads do.

I'm a bit worried for you if you go back to OEM pads on the track. The first time I had the car on the track at COTA it was totally stock - on CUP2s I could get them to fade if I was not careful. There was not a lot of headroom to handle an emergency. There is no way I would brake at 100m into T12 with OEM pads - which is what I'm sure you're doing given how strong of a driver you are.
Definitely wouldn't drop all the way to something like the DS2500. I hear you on T12, but I'm obviously leaving a ton on the table if you braked at the 100 marker even on Cup 2s. I've been braking around the 160, probably partly due to some inertial habit coming from an E92 M3 on weaker pads and less grippy tires. But I guess that's why you have your lap times and I have my paltry 2:34 with a passenger! Nice to know there's plenty of headroom to push there, especially since my recent 650S incident mentioned above probably would've kept me from pushing the envelope in that particular spot at least at my next event. The noise on these damn pads is just aggravating since in a year I do maybe 8-12 track days but drive about 8K total miles, and I definitely don't want to deal with pad swaps especially given that the calipers don't have the quick change bridge anymore. I guess I'll go bed them in somewhere and see if that makes enough of an improvement.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got ap rotors from Clark at apex, thanks Clark! Also put on same pagid pads that I got from our late friend, michiel, so they are extra special!

Difference is night and day and not much squeal either for those that daily drive. Taking it to Cota this weekend so I'll definitely be getting some good miles on them.

Quick Reply: AP 2 pc Rotors + Ferodo D1.11 = Awesome!