Sponsored by:

Advice on alternate color Sport Steering Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM
IslandBoy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice on alternate color Sport Steering Swap

Long time multiple 911 owner, however been out of the game since the 997 era due to a divorce situation. Im hoping you can share the benefit of your 991 wisdom to save me the trial and error.
I have a 2014 C2 manual, with a luxor beige interior. I really would like to upgrade the steering to that era's Sport Wheel. I just need the basic wheel as there are no steering controls whatsoever. Given that I think there is WAY too much beige on the interior, I would love to do a black steering (and mats) to break up the beige.
Am I correct that buying the sport steering uses my existing airbag center hub ? If so ... is there an easy way to replace the beige cover with a black cover ?
Any help / advice appreciated. Cheers
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Best. Upgrade. Ever.

Yes, on reusing airbag.
Not sure, on replacing the cover.

It is a pretty easy DIY. Feel free to ask/PM if you have specific install questions.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM
IslandBoy
Advanced

Thank You FK ... much appreciated !

I guess the color swap is not too common. I'm wondering if the Beige airbag cover is an attached piece, or an integral part of the airbag . That would decide if the color swap is doable or not.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I am so opposed to "other colored" steering wheels in car interiors that if a color I liked didn't come with the option for a black (or dark brown) wheel I would skip on that interior. Major failing of Porsche IMO that you have to take a wheel in seat color for most of the optional leather colors. Yours will look SOOOOOO much better if you can pull this off.

Ditto on the mats. On my Black/Garnet, the rugs are red. Wouldn't have been my choice. In fact, on the Turbo S you get the choice with this interior of either black or red rugs, but on everything below that, including Turbo, you only get Red rugs. Black could be done but it goes into Exclusive or something and changes build time dramatically. So I have red rugs. But they come standard with black mats, and voila! It's just as good as having black rugs, as far as not feeling like you're swimming in a sea of red.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I am so opposed to "other colored" steering wheels in car interiors that if a color I liked didn't come with the option for a black (or dark brown) wheel I would skip on that interior. Major failing of Porsche IMO that you have to take a wheel in seat color for most of the optional leather colors. Yours will look SOOOOOO much better if you can pull this off.

Ditto on the mats. On my Black/Garnet, the rugs are red. Wouldn't have been my choice. In fact, on the Turbo S you get the choice with this interior of either black or red rugs, but on everything below that, including Turbo, you only get Red rugs. Black could be done but it goes into Exclusive or something and changes build time dramatically. So I have red rugs. But they come standard with black mats, and voila! It's just as good as having black rugs, as far as not feeling like you're swimming in a sea of red.

I have black/bordeaux on my '17 Targa, and the carpets are black.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I have black/bordeaux on my '17 Targa, and the carpets are black.
Must have changed with .2. Finally, we can all agree on something the .2 has improved on!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:49 PM
IslandBoy
Advanced

That interior of yours is Stunning !! Love the two tone look. I really think that all the dashes , or at least the tops, should be in black with every color interior. I looks so classy. (Not to mention a 911 tradition up through the 993).
My Beige interior was a compromise I made to get a 3 pedal car, however would never choose it specing my own.

Quick Reply: Advice on alternate color Sport Steering Swap