Sponsored by:

Check your batteries, folks

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check your batteries, folks

Did my monthly visual inspection of my ~4.5 year old battery (oreilly brand I think).

To my dismay, the whole area was a mess. it had blown the vent cap off the drivers side of the battery and was leaking out of that hole. it was leaking out of the top, and the battery tray was full of bloom.

I use a CTEK, so I hadn't noticed any performance issues at all.

So, pulled the battery and poured baking soda all over the tray. Waited for the hissing and bubbling to stop. Pulled the tray out. Good news was that there didn't appear to be any issues below the tray. The tray itself had a lot of peeling paint and surface rust.

I noticed the vent line on the passenger side was full, so I blew it out. Traced it down and saw a lot of bloom on the passenger side suspension piece below the exit. More soda and a good rinse. Looks like other than being a lot cleaner than the untouched aluminum, there was no damage.

Rinsed, sanded, and repainted the tray and the hold-down bracket. The four nuts for the tray were toast, so replaced them.

Bought OReilly's AGM replacement and car is good to go.

As this thing ages, I may start checking it every couple of weeks
Old 02-13-2017, 11:39 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked mine about a month ago. It was the original 2011 battery. Physically looked good but tested weak. Would start but needed to be replaced. Got one from Wally World. Fits perfectly and works.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Any photo's ?
A little die electric grease on the battery posts and cable ends on mine.
Check all the drain holes are clear down there too.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Any photo's ?
No, sorry, was so riled up about it, I got right to work fixing it without taking a picture.

Interestingly, the posts and cables were 100% pristine. The acidic water was being forced out of the battery...my working assumption is that the age of the battery PLUS the CTEK may have inadvertently overcharged it. Not sure, since the circuits in the CTEK are supposed to notice this.

Maybe some experts could chime in?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
No, sorry, was so riled up about it, I got right to work fixing it without taking a picture.

Interestingly, the posts and cables were 100% pristine. The acidic water was being forced out of the battery...my working assumption is that the age of the battery PLUS the CTEK may have inadvertently overcharged it. Not sure, since the circuits in the CTEK are supposed to notice this.

Maybe some experts could chime in?
Good you caught it - quite a mess. Once CTEK charges the battery it's supposed to go into maintenance or float mode and not over charge - you might might to check that too.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:39 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for posting and a great reminder... going to check my batt as its > 3 years
Old 02-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Glad you caught it before it made a real mess of anything...

...but hat's why I only install sealed Optima AGM batteries in all my vehicles - red tops for the cars and blue tops for the boat - no venting and no risk of acid spillage.

Plus to the left of it, it leaves space to keep a little tool, kit a spare bottle of oil, etc or in my case, where I mounted the external compressor and control box for the cargraphic AirLift system.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Did your CTEK charge via the battery or the lighter - does it matter? Regardless I have my Porsche hooked up to the car via the lighter, I'm going to check tonight - thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by ronvanr
Did your CTEK charge via the battery or the lighter - does it matter? Regardless I have my Porsche hooked up to the car via the lighter, I'm going to check tonight - thanks for the reminder!
socket in the passenger footwell. don't know if it matters, but don't think it should.

It definitely changed from orange to green light indicating it was in maintenance mode.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
socket in the passenger footwell. don't know if it matters, but don't think it should.

It definitely changed from orange to green light indicating it was in maintenance mode.
Orange to Green means it changed from not charged to charged. I think you have to select the snowflake mode with the button to actually put it into float / maintenance mode. I'm not 100% on this though as I use the Battery Tender brand that does everything automatically without a mode button.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:06 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Orange to Green means it changed from not charged to charged. I think you have to select the snowflake mode with the button to actually put it into float / maintenance mode. I'm not 100% on this though as I use the Battery Tender brand that does everything automatically without a mode button.
Manual says it reaches pulse maintenance mode automatically in "car" mode.

However, your note made me read more about the snowflake mode and I see that for AGM batteries, I should use that instead of "car" mode. Previous battery was not AGM, but my new one is. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

If the battery was releasing its electrolyte, it means it was being overcharged. Either the CTek was bad or the alternator is routinely overcharging.

Last edited by ADias; 02-14-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Any photo's ?
Very good point!! When I first received my 997 I had an intermittent starting problem. I threw parts at the issue....new power cable in the engine bay, new starter and new 150A alt...along with replacing parts that I broke in the process. I looked at relays and fuses. I was looking at the wrong culprits. I decided to look at the battery. Then the tray. I found clogged drains and the power pin that the pos lead from the battery connects to was corroded. The issue would always happen a few days after I washed the car. Compressed air, a wire brush and dielectric grease cured it.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I swapped mine out last year and it was pretty clean.

Quick Reply: Check your batteries, folks