Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Francisco - Bay Area Request: Anyone with a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts
Default San Francisco - Bay Area Request: Anyone with a lift?

Hello,

I'm requesting a favor from someone who has a lift, the kind which allows for all 4 wheels to be removed at same time, not the ramp type. I need to take my wheels off to have them refinished and painted, so would need to put the Spyder up on a lift for 2-3 days. I've tried jacking it up on posts but can't figure out a safe way to do all 4 wheels at the same time.

If anyone has a lift like this and would be ok with the inconvenience of having my car on it for 2-3 days while wheels are getting done, I would pay rental requested, not looking for freebies.

thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:42 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Another option if you can't find a lift is to invest in a set of jack point jack stands:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post13365135
Old 01-31-2017, 12:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Another option if you can't find a lift is to invest in a set of jack point jack stands:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post13365135
I bought a set of jackstands but maybe they were too tall, and didn't have that big surface area at top, thanks for this advice, looks like what I'll do.

So, as far as the process involved, you just lifted one side at a time and carefully placed these underneath right? Any special technique?

Edit: I just saw pics online and I now understand how these are different/better, allows you to slide the jack underneath them.. this makes so much sense and explains why I couldn't figure out how to jack car up with the traditional ones.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

There are a number of threads on jacking...here's one (earlier Boxster so the jack points may be different).

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689

What kind of jack stands do you have?
Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by il pirata
There are a number of threads on jacking...here's one (earlier Boxster so the jack points may be different).

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689

What kind of jack stands do you have?
Simple ****ty ones from auto zone which didn't allow for jacking up the same point where I was lifting the car, these jackpoint stands make so much more sense.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:20 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't like twisting the chassis to install one jackstand at a time, but guess the car can take it. And with a lack of a suitable central jacking location, if you need to have the car on the air with all 4 wheels off the ground, and no lift, no other choice. To lift just one end, I use the jack kit from the car and my floor jack at the same time, little by little each, to avoid twisting the chassis. I also need to do that when changing the oil, with the rear of the car on ramps, since it has to be even to drain properly (drain plug is at the rear, unfortunately).
Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I don't like twisting the chassis to install one jackstand at a time, but guess the car can take it. And with a lack of a suitable central jacking location, if you need to have the car on the air with all 4 wheels off the ground, and no lift, no other choice. To lift just one end, I use the jack kit from the car and my floor jack at the same time, little by little each, to avoid twisting the chassis. I also need to do that when changing the oil, with the rear of the car on ramps, since it has to be even to drain properly (drain plug is at the rear, unfortunately).
i assume that the twisting forces on a chassis are much greater when driving and hitting bumps and camber changes from humps in the road... at least here in NorCal and i have to assume in many places except for maybe Florida. Even entering gas stations and driveways the chassis is exposed to twisting forces which are strong and sudden. however, I agree with you in that I don't like that feeling when i'm jacking the car. I look forward to being able to get it up on all 4 corners to do a proper cleaning underneath when i remove the wheels...

thinking of going from the current bronze...

to a very daring red with the autodip....

Old 02-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about buying something like quickjack? Portable, not too pricy?
Love the red wheels, but the dark gold is cool.
https://www.quickjack.com
Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,632 Likes on 2,315 Posts

jacking caused twisting is non issue.
the only jack stand u should use on p car = AC hydraulic (they use a different name now) and jack point.

jack rear jacking point, put stand at front jack point and rear sub frame. repeat the other side. thenyou are on four stands
Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

I can't volunteer anyone but there are quite a few pairs of Jackpoint Jackstands in the Bay area. You might try a post requesting use of those instead of a lift. Mooty's suggestion would allow you to get the job done with only 1 pair of Jackpoints plus a second pair of other jack stands (my vote would be Esco). Of course you might find other uses for them if you get a pair. ;-)

Quick Reply: San Francisco - Bay Area Request: Anyone with a lift?