Sponsored by:

Oem 19" tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:08 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Oem 19" tires

Does anyone have OEM (or otherwise) 19" non-winter tires for a 991 that you are looking to sell? Looking to use for the track. Still a novice and was advised to stick with regular tires at first just to learn the car and tracking since track or better tires may not help me see my mistakes.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

From one who was where you are now a year ago, welcome to the dark side of tracking your Porsche.

One piece of advice - I'd recommend upgrading your brake fluid before the track day. Get something like Motol RBF or Castrol SRF. Both are good. Motol is a bit cheaper. You want the most dependable braking possible. Other than that, have a blast.

Last edited by tstafford; 01-28-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Silliness
Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
From one who was where you are now a year ago, welcome to the dark side of tracking your Porsche.

One piece of advice - I'd recommend upgrading your brake fluid before the track day. Get something like Motol RBF or Castrol SRF. Both are good. Motol is a bit cheaper. You want the most dependable braking possible. Other than that, have a blast.
Ha! Thanks. I'm having so much fun that I'm not considering anything a dark side except for being anxious to get back on the track. I've done Sebring (June 2016) and Homestead (August 2016) in Florida and looking to get back to Sebring and others more often. Life has a funny way of catching up with you and I just bought another house with my fiancé (which is what prompted me to sell my 997.2 and Mercedes and consolidate to one car). We're trying to collect real estate as fast as possible to supplement retirement. I have a great instructor/friend who was building an BMW E46 spec car. He did tell me that tracking is a fast way to go bankrupt fast!

I still use the OEM Dot 4 brake fluid because I didn't think i would need to change. Obviously something I need to review further and i very much appreciate your recommendations. Do they perform better than OEM brake fluid? I did have a brake fluid flush before each track event. I did not experience brake fade, but, admittedly, i wasn't driving 100%. What I did notice is glazing on the brakes. I'm not sure whether I was outperforming my base Carrera brakes, but i ordered this "upgrade" from Suncoast Parts which is going to be delivered Monday: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK981SBRA.html. Can't wait to install them. Will get the rear brake calipers painted or powder coated red to match, of course, but looking forward to the bigger brakes. Other than that, I'm using a set of 19" BBS CHR wheels for the track. Any other recommendations that come to mind?

Last edited by awrryan; 01-28-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Grammer/typo
Old 01-28-2017, 07:28 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Default Homestead and Sebring

Here are some pics:

Instructor/friend driving in the last two pics at homestead.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:44 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

+1 on the brake fluid recommendation. I also would invest in some competition pads. I use Pagid RS 29's .
They are pricey, but will last and easily save you $ as your stock pads will be shot every 3-4 track days.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:20 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
+1 on the brake fluid recommendation. I also would invest in some competition pads. I use Pagid RS 29's .
They are pricey, but will last and easily save you $ as your stock pads will be shot every 3-4 track days.
Makes sense. After a two-day track event at Sebring, one day at Homestead, and 12,000 miles (including those track events) of driving, my pads are almost gone and glazed in the front.

Quick Reply: Oem 19" tires