Sponsored by:

Tracking 991.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:24 AM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tracking 991.2 C4S

I've looked through a few threads on basic changes to car to allow for some tracking. I don't plan on doing often, but am considering changing brake pads, brake fluid and brake lines. Also, at minimum through summer I don't want to swap back and forth. Any recommendations appreciated. I do have a dedicated track car, but will use my C4S to reconnoiter and take others for rides.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:54 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like you would be a good candidate for an "E Ticket Ride" personalized license plate with the rides you are giving to friends.

Anyway, if you are only doing a handful of track days I wouldn't sweat the brake lines or any other upgrades. The car is ready to go for what you are looking for.

If you must tweak it a bit I would recommend the following in order of value to increase performance:

1) Tires - Cup2's
2) Brake Fluid - SRF
3) Bake Pads - Pagid Yellow
Old 01-29-2017, 01:22 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 257 Posts

Track alignment for the track season?
Old 01-29-2017, 01:29 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I agree with NA430GTS - fluid (SRF or RBF). I'd wear out the OEM pads before changing (why not?) and the same on the tires unless you have something very odd already on the car. I definitely wouldn't mess with the brake lines.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:21 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I track 15-20 times each season and change my brake pads each time. It's no big deal to do it. I use Pagid Yellow, they are IMO, the best all round track pad. You can leave them in all season but you will have to live with some squeaking and their cold performance is noticeably less than when hot. OEM pads will disintigrate pretty quickly under aggressive track use.

The first step above stock fluid would be ATE fluid. But I suggest Motul RBF brake fluid. It's much better performing and pricey, but not as pricey as SRF.

New brake lines offer you no real advantages. I have them, and they add some bling, but thats about all. OEM lines are quite good.

As far as tires, I would use your OEM unless you really want to worry about track times. And you have a dedicated track car for that, right? I use Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 19" wheels. They are great in dry, wet and even pretty cool situations. And they safely get me to and from track events all over the midwest. They are being replaced soon by the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, the successor to the Super Sport.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:05 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Great info, last question, would the Pagid Yellow and Motul RBF be reasonable over all seasons or should I swap out for winter. Just trying to be safe. Not worried on rubber as I change wheels for winter and can also do brake pads at the same time.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:19 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search for the information I supplied about Tracking my 991.2 C4S last summer.
Stock all the way!-Richard
Old 01-29-2017, 05:20 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by boatracer
Great info, last question, would the Pagid Yellow and Motul RBF be reasonable over all seasons or should I swap out for winter. Just trying to be safe. Not worried on rubber as I change wheels for winter and can also do brake pads at the same time.
I run my Motul all year long. I typically change the fluid annually mid track season for safety's sake. Personally, I would change out the Pagid brake pads over the winter since the colder they are, the less effective they are. I wouldn't call the pads unsafe by any means, just that they wouldn't have the "Porsche" feel you are used to.

Quick Reply: Tracking 991.2 C4S