Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled Bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, with your google skillz I'm surprised you'd even ask that.

No, the 914-6 had to have a new fuel pump. $700 from Germany. Had to buy it from the Porsche restoration department. The damn thing was not even listed on their dealer parts network. :/ I have been way too busy to drive it, and all of the frikken 15 gallons of fuel went bad. I need to drain it all out and put new gas in.

I would be careful with those 9" Fuchs. IIRC you have rear spacers which may make the tires rub. You might need some massive neg camber or shorten the torsion tube, I don't know. Flares might be in your future.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I don't see anyone drooling over these air cooled cars except people over age 50.
The kids might find the newer 911's interesting, but our cars might as well be VW Beetles.
Might be the area you live in. Around here they are well accepted and recognized by all generations. They get more attention than the majority of newer models which people see far too often. My sons friends would take my 964's over my Boxster GTS but they really like my 928GTS. There isn't a place I go without someone walking up to me and either ask if I want to sell my 64 or inquire about it. The attention has become a bit annoying. I love it when I explain that the car is older than they are but they still comment about the looks and the incredible air-cooled sound. It seems to spark something inside them they don't get from the new video game electronic crap sold today. The % might be less of the whole than when these cars were made but it is still a huge number and with only a few thousand of these left no doubt a few thousand will one day want one once they can afford one.

There is a huge VW following around here. Many younger kids start with the VW's and move on or still have their coveted beetle alongside their 911 or bus with safari windows Porsche engine, brakes and fuchs alloys. They have a ton of money invested in them and some of them are worth more than a decent 964.

So long as parts are still available I don't see it dying off in my lifetime. My son can figure out what to do with them as many of my friends in their 50's still own their fathers 356's.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

^^^^
I think most of the kids whose parents are into cars will continue the hobby. Both of my boys (13 and 10) are into the hobby themselves.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't see anyone drooling over these air cooled cars except people over age 50.
The kids might find the newer 911's interesting, but our cars might as well be VW Beetles.
Drove the 993 a few weeks ago and had a late twenties guy give me the thumbs up. Has happened quite a few times and used to occur a lot whenever I trailered the old race car or took it out for the rare street run.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Might be the area you live in. Around here they are well accepted and recognized by all generations. They get more attention than the majority of newer models which people see far too often. My sons friends would take my 964's over my Boxster GTS but they really like my 928GTS. There isn't a place I go without someone walking up to me and either ask if I want to sell my 64 or inquire about it. The attention has become a bit annoying. I love it when I explain that the car is older than they are but they still comment about the looks and the incredible air-cooled sound. It seems to spark something inside them they don't get from the new video game electronic crap sold today. The % might be less of the whole than when these cars were made but it is still a huge number and with only a few thousand of these left no doubt a few thousand will one day want one once they can afford one.

There is a huge VW following around here. Many younger kids start with the VW's and move on or still have their coveted beetle alongside their 911 or bus with safari windows Porsche engine, brakes and fuchs alloys. They have a ton of money invested in them and some of them are worth more than a decent 964.

So long as parts are still available I don't see it dying off in my lifetime. My son can figure out what to do with them as many of my friends in their 50's still own their fathers 356's.
toatally agree
my 94 964c2 and 86 911 cpe gets more thumbs up than my RS4.0 and 991RS.
i need more old cars.

my kid 12 and 8, well... i need to work on them some more and crush that damn ipad... they can wash wheels, but other than that no interest in cars YET.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

lol I'm a lot younger than 50s
Don't have as many old ones as tcs but working on it
Just had a kid today ask me to trade his skate board for my 964
Imget many thumbs up
Old g bodies especially seem to be popular with those 25-35.

I see these continuing in popularity. Like old watches, vinyl, classic houses.... hipsters with the $ like the cool old ****.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rusnak - Did you try Fuel Injection Corp? They rebuilt my fuel pump for $350 and a one year warranty. There's no need to buy a new one from Porsche.

Richard Newton
My 911 Project
Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Speaking of bubbles. A search yielded approximately 51 991 GT3RS's for sale. Low prices in the $225,000 range with many around $300K with one rather optimistic seller asking $795,000.
I nearly spit my coffee on the keyboard.

(So, for what a Carrera GT costs I could buy a GT3RS?)

Air cooled is where the safe money goes. If you're all about 0-60 times they aren't for you.
However, if carrying momentum through a turn and NOT relying on huge horsepower to get you going down the straight sounds like fun: "Come on in, the water is fine."

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

A bit of a non sequitur: If old aircooleds had any one of abs, airbags, OBDII, PASM, rear wheel steering and all that ****, you couldn't give them away for free.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:53 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
A bit of a non sequitur: If old aircooleds had any one of abs, airbags, OBDII, PASM, rear wheel steering and all that ****, you couldn't give them away for free.
Yeah. I guess the ABS and airbags in the 964s and 993s, and OBDII, traction control and the Weissach rear axle in the 993 make up the exceptions.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

They do. I'm talking about the older cars.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:55 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice pair, Rick. '74's undervalued. The TT is a great car. I have a narrow body too. Weighs roughly the same a '73. Tony Lapine did a nice job against all odds.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Rick,....964/993 cars have ABS, airbags, OBD-II (some) and there are no shortages of buyers at top dollar.

Same demand for these cars as long-hoods. Even good examples of early G-series bring big money now!
Old 01-14-2017, 03:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 73911
rusnak - Did you try Fuel Injection Corp? They rebuilt my fuel pump for $350 and a one year warranty. There's no need to buy a new one from Porsche.

Richard Newton
My 911 Project
oooh, thank you, I'll save them to Bookmarks!!!
Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Yeah. I guess the ABS and airbags in the 964s and 993s, and OBDII, traction control and the Weissach rear axle in the 993 make up the exceptions.
I am of two minds about this.

On the one hand, I have PSM, ABS, ASR, ABD, as well as PASM, Sport Chrono, and a mechanical limited slip differential on the Cayman.

I can tell that these systems are working their collective *** off to keep the car pointed forward more or less. OTOH, then I want to kick the rear out a bit, the damn car will move the apex quite a few feet depending on speed, to the inside.

The fun of balancing the car on the head of a pin is gone, but it's probably quicker, and more nimble, and I can act like James Bond and not have to get out and push the car back out of the bushes, so there's that bit. Still, I'm never going to get rid of my pre-89 aircooled Porsches. Oh, and I love OBDII. Granted, there is far less art than K or L Jetronic, or even Motronic, but there is way more capability if you buy a Durametric. I'll wager that guys will be tuning their 987.2 and later cars in their garage at home in the near future.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Bubble?