Sponsored by:

Seat button popped off

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Seat button popped off

I found these two tiny springs near it, and am not quite sure how it goes back together...

Anyone have this happen?

EDIT - sorry, those dog hairs are kind of gross.

I found this but it doesn't mention those tiny springs.

Last edited by Woodman71; 01-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,807 Likes on 996 Posts

Hey Woody,

So you're loosing your ***** now? Dab nab ol' RennRoach again huh?

What type of seat do you have? Full power with heat or the upper end Sport Seats? They have different mechanisms.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:29 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Those are the contacts for the switch under that black button. DO NOT LOSE THEM.
The white or gray shaft that the button snaps on is the top of the seat reclining switch. That mechanism pivots on an "axle".
Those springs and contacts "snap" (maybe when they were new) into pockets on the bottom of the pivoting mechanism. They interface with two more tiny rockers that finally make contact with the contacts that control the seat motor. (Recline on my sport seats)
I had both of them fly out when changing the foam on one of my seats.
After hours of vacuuming the entire garage three + times, sifting through the dirt I only found the contacts and one spring. If you lose them you will have to buy an entire seat harne$$ to get replacements. I ended up re-winding a ballpoint spring on my lathe to make a replacement for the one that I lost. (Reached escape velocity and is orbiting Venus I think.)
When finally reassembling the switch, after making one replacement spring I got to do it again when the second one also achieved lift off.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:23 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

look on ebay and see if you can find the whole switch
Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hey Woody,

So you're loosing your ***** now? Dab nab ol' RennRoach again huh?

What type of seat do you have? Full power with heat or the upper end Sport Seats? They have different mechanisms.
Full power but not heated? Is that a thing?
Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
Those are the contacts for the switch under that black button. DO NOT LOSE THEM.
The white or gray shaft that the button snaps on is the top of the seat reclining switch. That mechanism pivots on an "axle".
Those springs and contacts "snap" (maybe when they were new) into pockets on the bottom of the pivoting mechanism. They interface with two more tiny rockers that finally make contact with the contacts that control the seat motor. (Recline on my sport seats)
I had both of them fly out when changing the foam on one of my seats.
After hours of vacuuming the entire garage three + times, sifting through the dirt I only found the contacts and one spring. If you lose them you will have to buy an entire seat harne$$ to get replacements. I ended up re-winding a ballpoint spring on my lathe to make a replacement for the one that I lost. (Reached escape velocity and is orbiting Venus I think.)
When finally reassembling the switch, after making one replacement spring I got to do it again when the second one also achieved lift off.
Thank you for the reply! I didn't lose them, chucked them into an empty aspirin bottle.

I might upload a sketch/photo for you and maybe you can help me understand how they seat in the button. I do see to tiny circles on the button underside that they slide vertically into? Or are they suppsed to snap in horizontally?

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

heat was option
Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Woody,

This has happened to me when I removed my seats to repaint the backs. Fortunately, the springs stayed in the holes and all I have to do is snap the black switch (i.e. ****) back on the main unit. fdb11 explained it a lot better than I could, but I call these types - "Rocker Switches" because the purpose of those springs is to bring the switch back to a center, neutral position. That's basically it. If it were me, I'd carefully insert the springs back into the main panel not the rocker plastic switch. They should lock in place. As fdb11 stated, be careful because they could become little rockets that could shoot out and be hard to locate.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Woody, This has happened to me when I removed my seats to repaint the backs. Fortunately, the springs stayed in the holes and all I have to do is snap the black switch (i.e. ****) back on the main unit. fdb11 explained it a lot better than I could, but I call these types - "Rocker Switches" because the purpose of those springs is to bring the switch back to a center, neutral position. That's basically it. If it were me, I'd carefully insert the springs back into the main panel not the rocker plastic switch. They should lock in place. As fdb11 stated, be careful because they could become little rockets that could shoot out and be hard to locate.
thanks b3! Dumb question but I assume the little metal sleeved ends should go in first? So the springs are poking out?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Woodman71
thanks b3! Dumb question but I assume the little metal sleeved ends should go in first? So the springs are poking out?
Yep, I believe the metal tip should lock in the main unit's holes with the spring on the other end. Again, I can't be 100%, but that's the way I remember it. The spring end connects to the black ****. Should be in neutral position and slide back on. Hope it works!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Yep, I believe the metal tip should lock in the main unit's holes with the spring on the other end. Again, I can't be 100%, but that's the way I remember it. The spring end connects to the black ****. Should be in neutral position and slide back on. Hope it works!
Awesome, thanks! I will try to fix it after this massive rainstorm passes over in a few days. Will update the post.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Default Update on my ****

So, finally had a chance to look at this seat button thingy more carefully. And, I know you have all been anxiously awaiting my news.

I snapped the button on sans tiny springs and it still seems to function fine.

Will stress test it a bit, but I am not seeing how those tiny little springs do anything important.

EDIT - just re-read thread. Will be seeing if the purpose of the springs bringing the switch back to a neutral position holds water.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Pic of what is under the black button?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 448 Likes on 290 Posts

Woody, this is a common problem. Mine is busted too. That button, which should sell for about 35 cents, is IMPOSSIBLE to buy. The only way to fix it properly is a whole new switch assembly, for something like 500 smackers.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is busted as well. Passenger side. Must have happened at the car wash months ago, because the button and springs are completely missing.

And not feeling like spending 500 on a new switch or even $350 on a used one.

Didn't someone say they were gonna 3d print these things?

Quick Reply: Seat button popped off