Sponsored by:

FD Motorsports short shifter versus Rothsport short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
For those who installed the knobless Rothsport SSK, what **** did you use? Dislike the plasticky RS **** and the aluminum/leather **** is hard to find and costs a fortune.

I suppose if the billet Rothsport integral **** is used it could be covered in leather or alcantara to avoid the hot/cold issue if thats a problem.

Cupcar, how do you like the Porsche Cup steering wheel?
Function First makes excellent machined aluminum ***** with different shaft lengths, so you can mix and match and change things up as you please. I bought long and short shafts and two different ***** and I love this modular setup. Highly recommended.

I've never had an issue with temperature, but you could definitely cover them in leather.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:46 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
Function First makes excellent machined aluminum ***** with different shaft lengths, so you can mix and match and change things up as you please. I bought long and short shafts and two different ***** and I love this modular setup. Highly recommended.

I've never had an issue with temperature, but you could definitely cover them in leather.
I've looked at those *****. If the RS rod is angled 1cm towards the driver my concern would be the clearance with the high side bolster of the Speedster seats and the bulbous grip? Guess I would need to make some measurements.

Personally I like the look of the brushed Rothsport billet part and thats what I'm leaning towards.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:59 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
I've looked at those *****. If the RS rod is angled 1cm towards the driver my concern would be the clearance with the high side bolster of the Speedster seats and the bulbous grip? Guess I would need to make some measurements.

Personally I like the look of the brushed Rothsport billet part and thats what I'm leaning towards.
One last feature I'd point out is that the FDM SSK allows for lateral adjustment of the shifter position by adjusting the foremost attachment point of the forward rod. I'm guessing that the Rothsport shifters may allow for similar adjustment as well, but I don't know for sure. Anyone here happen know?

Last edited by callipygian 911; 12-27-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Rothsport shifter and the FD motorsport golden rod. While I do love the parts, they didn't make as big of a difference as I thought they would have. I love the feel of the Rothsport shifter and I really haven't had any problems with it getting to hot or to cold. I didn't notice any increase in NVH. While the motor mounts were replaced a while back they are the stock stiffness. I really would like to put in semisolid or even solid engine mounts and a reenforced engine carrier to see if that improves the feel more. As for the shift boot, I just removed the rubber **** by cutting a little bit of the stitching and resewing it.

IMG_0895 by Andy Hodapp, on Flickr
Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the same setup as Andy above and agree with his assessment. No added NVH that I could tell, and the biggest difference was the slightly shorter throw, but that was barely noticeable for me, driving on the street. I did motor mounts at the same time and gauging how stretched the old ones were, I'm guessing most of the better feel came from putting in the Wevo mounts and taking the sag of the motor out of the picture.

As for the solid shift lever/****, I personally like it very much. I park in a garage in Oregon so it never gets overly cold. It does get a little hot to the touch if in direct sunlight over summer, but thats what my windshield cover is for, I guess.

The stock boot doesnt look quite right in my car, as I cut off the top inch or two, but I tucked mine down like Andy and used a ziptie to hold it and it works for me, though I'm not a perfectionist.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:11 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Could this 997 GT3 **** (minus the gator) be made to work with the RS/FDM SS kit?
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2016, 12:07 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung964
I went with the rothsport rod with function first ****, forward rod and golden rod from fd. It's definitely an improvement from stock but I'm not fully satisfied. Not close to the precision and short action of miatas. Occasionally, I have issues shifting to third under load. In low rpms, all is good. By the way, I also have wevo black motor mounts and ff yellow transmission mounts installed. Not sure if there is any fine tuning possible but from by understanding, its plug and play. My mechanic installed it.
You replace ALL wearables as well?

I run an OE 993 rs setup. Pretty darn perfect in my book. Only thing is stock **** doesn't like being moved much and the rubber inside eventually fails.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
Jeff Gamroth and Rothsport installed a Golden Rod several years ago. Three-months ago they installed an FD ssk, Jeff's recommendation.
There's no change in the shift boot, looks as before, and this combo is now terrific- only an inch shorter throws, but crisper, and better feel. Two thumbs up.
'97 C4S
Interesting. Did Jeff give you an explanation as to why he recommended the FD SSK over his own setup?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! Big thanks to Cupcar and Bill for all of the details.

My takeaway is that there is not much of a tactile difference between the FDM and the Rothsport.

Originally Posted by GBX
Mark, I have to ask...is that your 993 in your avatar? If so, I'm surprised you'd be concerned with a little extra NVH on what looks like a track car.
I sold the race car last year. Don't have any avatar-worthy photos of the new car.

Believe it or not, I never had a short shifter in the old car. It was just one of those things that I never got around to and never really cared about. At speed, I never had a concern or wish for shorter throws. All of the little niggling issues that might have bothered me when I was tooling around went out the window when I was looking to shave off a half second.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
You replace ALL wearables as well?

I run an OE 993 rs setup. Pretty darn perfect in my book. Only thing is stock **** doesn't like being moved much and the rubber inside eventually fails.
My mechanic inspected all the wearable items and he said they all were in great condition. Car has 60k miles.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:37 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I used bits and pieces from three different SSK to create my set up. I tried one sifter rod that had solid joints. They were too stiff to my liking even after 'working' the joints. I ended up with the stock rod and a RS universal joint. I don't remember which shift lever I used, but prefer a shorter height and short throw. The Feel is a personal thing, so don't be afraid to experiment!
Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with Rothsport shifter but I do love the GR/SSK sold to me by Darrin. For me, a great, comparatively inexpensive, enhancement of my 993 driving experience (vs stock). Cheers
Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 93 Posts

Rothsport v. FD ssk.
Ditto the above comments.
Rothsport's kit is for 2-wheel drive, not 4. FD's is for 4-wheel drive, which is my car, and what Rothsport installed. I just got clarification from Earle, parts manager at Rothsport.
To repeat, while the ssk doesn't make things too much shorter, only about an inch, its presence along with the GR crisps things nicely.
I notice no increased vibration, noise, or notchiness.
Fred, Portland, OR
Old 12-31-2016, 03:58 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
One last feature I'd point out is that the FDM SSK allows for lateral adjustment of the shifter position by adjusting the foremost attachment point of the forward rod. I'm guessing that the Rothsport shifters may allow for similar adjustment as well, but I don't know for sure. Anyone here happen know?
Hivemind?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:17 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for all of the helpful replies! Big thanks to Cupcar and Bill for all of the details.

My takeaway is that there is not much of a tactile difference between the FDM and the Rothsport.
My experience except for feel of alloy versus leather ****.

Quick Reply: FD Motorsports short shifter versus Rothsport short shifter