Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shenanigans at the Dealer? says I need new brakes ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No need to jeopardize your relationship with the dealer. Why don't you simply ask them why they are recommendeding a brake service given the fact that there appears to be ample pad life remaining.

Last edited by user 72902; 12-01-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratdog33

P.S. Any suggestions on a torque wrench would be appreciated
A lot of discussion on the 997 GT3 and 991 GT3 boards. A good starting place for tools is here (e.g. torque wrench and/or torque multiplier):
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-and-gear.html

Also if you search Torque Wrench or Center Lock in the GT3 boards you will find a lot more information, maybe more than you want.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Are these dimples on my 2009 C2S rotors? I never saw them.... but I never looked and was unaware at the time Porsche did this.
Bruce, I can't say whether or not S rotors have the dimples but I'll bet they do. Here is a thread where Gota911 posted a very good pic of Porsche rotors. You should be able to look at yours through your wheel and see if it has these. It's from this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tolerance.html

Originally Posted by altonj
Your dealer may not be trying to "screw you" but they are trying to oversell you. We see this all the time. That big expensive building needs to get paid for.
"Overselling" or upselling is one thing. This is screwing. Upselling is getting the customer to buy a nicer version of something that he already needs or wants. He may not have to have the nicer version, but you can give him a reason why he might want it. Even if the rationale is dopey, it's the customer's choice.

In this situation, the dealer is telling the OP that a vital safety component of his car is worn out and needs to be replaced, which is a factual, verifiable lie. Paying the rent is not a valid justification for lying to the customer. Neither are he inexperience of the service writer or that service writer's sales goals, or the tech's boat payment or the service manager's alimony payment.

Originally Posted by jkw911
No need to jeopardize your relationship with the dealer. Why don't you simply ask them why that are recommendeding a brake service given the fact that there appears to be ample pad life remaining.
I agree that the OP shouldn't make a federal case out of this, especially since his car is still under warranty and he doesn't want to burn a bridge that he might have to use in the future. And I don't see any upside to bringing this to the service writer's attention. There is no requirement that you have your service done at the dealer to maintain your warranty. I would just decline the service, find a reputable indy for my regular services and only use the dealer if something covered under the warranty goes wrong.

Quick Reply: Shenanigans at the Dealer? says I need new brakes ASAP!