Sponsored by:

To get rear LED or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:55 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default To get rear LED or not?

I know this is totally personal opinion and when I purchased my car almost a year ago I was totally sold on getting the rear LEDs for my car. As time has gone on I have started to notice that some of the LEDs have a darker area around the perimeter of the light housing but I'm not sure that I like because it doesn't really match with my car. I preferred the lights look and blend into the vehicle as much as possible and since my car is GR The stock lights actually do a pretty good job of blending with the color.

as I do more research it looks like there are at least two or three variations of the LED lights and if I did it I would go with the version that does not have the darker surround. But the more I continue to research some more I wonder if they look a little bit out of place and maybe a little bit on the cheap side given the style of the LEDs that they use. Maybe if there was an OLED style light that we see so much these days, but now I'm starting to wonder which route to go.

This is my car with the stock lights and below you will see several other red ones with different lights that I pulled from the Internet.

Thoughts?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

OE solid red tail lights are the way to go!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
nothing beats oem parts + styling imo ... but if i had to choose out of the various aftermarket LEDs the dectanes look the best.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

My personal preference is stock on the lights.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:32 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

na. I don't want solid red on a red car

I feel the same way about blacked out lights on a black car
Old 11-29-2016, 12:44 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Dectane would look great on your car.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
na. I don't want solid red on a red car

I feel the same way about blacked out lights on a black car
Understood. Get what you like!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:59 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Until another aftermarket manufacturer come up with a better looking one, I say OEM looks best.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 112 Posts

I have dectane LED on mine. But looking at these pictures, i think OEM looks better on a red car.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Maybe you'd like smoked lenses or clear lenses as opposed to red. It might add more contrast to the rear of the vehicle.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:19 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Now, the LED-tailed Sneetches-
Had tails with LED's.
The Plain-tailed Sneetches-Had none upon thars.

Those LED's weren’t so big. They were really so small.
You might think such a thing wouldn’t matter at all.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Spoken like a true star bellied Sneetch.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:06 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm a son of a star bellied sneetch.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:25 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Maybe you'd like smoked lenses or clear lenses as opposed to red. It might add more contrast to the rear of the vehicle.
Not after more contrast (tinted, smoked, or clear) or less contrast (solid red), the OEM color is perfect for my taste, but the one version appears to be very similar in color to the OEM (are those the dectanes on the car in my original thread with the wing?), while the other one has a darker color and a much darker surround, which is what I do NOT want.

Now I just need to think about if the Dectanes LED pattern and look is what I want. There are some other versions out there now as well, with a more OLED perimeter look, but those are so new that I haven't seen any of these on real cars here. I guess i'll be patient and see what those look like as well.

In the mean time my aerokit/GT3 front bumper is at the painter. Was also thinking some mild graphics (side decals and maybe sometype of hood/rood stripe, but I don't want to replicate the 911R too much. Actually, I do want a similar look, but just don't want it to be a wannabe car. When I started thinking about this project, a couple of the first mods I was thinking was my 911S rear badge, PORSCHE rear badge and a GT3 front grill. A few months later we started getting pics of the 911R.) Also has crossed my mind to do 997.2 rear wing, which I have always been against wings (esp the turbo wings) on 911 cars because I love the rear shape so much, but for some reason the 997.2 GT3 and RS wings seem to work, because the pedistal design brings the wing up off of the rear deck and fender, which allows the rear end to show its original design cues.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

That's a tough one on a red car. If the color isn't exact, it looks odd and if it is exact, it's a lot of solid red back there. I think in your case I'd go clear or lightly tinted to create some contrast.

Avoid the Spyder brand taillights for the 997. I went through 2 sets of these on my wife's car and 4 sets on mine before switching over to Dectanes. No issues with either set of those.

Unfortunately, Dectane no longer makes the plain smoked ones without the red tint, or the clear ones, which they called Crystal. You might be able to find one of those or the other at Amazon's German site or at Orange Tuning. With your red car, maybe the ones they call smoke/red would actually look good, and I think those are still in production.

I think the OEM lights look very dated myself, like the 996. Since 997.2s actually received led lights from the factory that look very similar to the Dectanes, I don't think they look cheap or out of place on a 997.1, though the newer style leds that look like a solid when illuminated, do look better.

Here are the smoked Dectanes on mine and the regular on my wife's pink car. I like the smoked, because they're not blacked out where you fantastic see into them, just tinted to provide a more unified lens appearance.

Quick Reply: To get rear LED or not?