Sponsored by:

How to build it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:30 PM
amre
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to build it?

I have seen 991 builds that are very sporty (i.e. interesting colors, carbon trim, sport mirrors, black/dark wheels, blacked-out lettering, etc) and I've seen them very classic/vintage (tan/brown interior, wood trim, aluminum window trim).

My build is more towards the modern sporty look, however, I can easily see me building it in GT silver with espresso/cognac, mahogany trim & manual gear ****, aftermarket 19" Fuchs wheels, aluminum window trim.

How you build it (IMO) is a product of how you view the car. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

I built my .2 on the sporty side. I will be looking to add a 50th down the road for the classy (pepita, fuchs style wheels, aluminum trim, MT, geyser gray) part of the equation........

Or an actual long hood
Old 11-21-2016, 07:10 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went Classic, kinda like my age. Midnight Blue on Graphite Blue/Chalk, full wood trim, and as much leather as I could cram in it. Even more aftermarket leather to come. But even at a classic age, I still got a wee-bit of the James Dean spirit, going for the 580 ponies Cab, and over 600 with some aftermarket magic to come. To me, it is all good. I really like following what others are also doing. I think Porsche does a good job of offering us a big options menu, to make them our own.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:20 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Built my GTS Targa in a more classic schematic. All the black or carbon fiber elements were reimagined to match the targa hoop. Aluminum trim in the cabin (vs CF). GT Silver painted CL wheels. Etc.

But to each their own. It's the beauty of it all
Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't build mine, but I built a few and found a CPO that matched one. I guess I lean a bit to the sporty side. I think some color combinations work well, and some not so much. Make sure you you see a car with a similar build to really judge.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 620 Posts

I also went classic/classy with GT silver over two-tone black and red. I have owned the loud colors and street racer look wheels in the past, but this one is just to enjoy and not impress.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Great thing about the 911 is that there are SO many ways to build it....

....which is why I was so disappointed to see that most used cars on the market were white, black or silver with black interiors. Zzzzzzz

I got black, which was not my first, or second choice, but the other factors (equipment, price, certifications, etc), made it palletable. I have several versions of what I would build. White with Red / Black, Night Blue with espresso / cognac, Sapphire with gray, etc.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ You'd think that a well-optioned colorful car (Carmine Red or something like that) on the secondary market would command a significant premium just because there are so few compared to greys, blacks, whites. But that doesn't seem to be the case, at least for late-model 991s.

Of course, a Jade Green '73 911S will bring a WHOLE lot more than the same car in Sepia or Silver. But the newer ones don't work that way it seems.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I chose all the sport options and left the interior alone for the most part except for the premium package plus and the Bose sound. Got the Rhodium silver paint. Looks pretty standard. Works for me. I am more interested in the handling and performance and less interested in tweaking the look. No right answer. Whatever makes you happy. Even if you got a standard C2 manual transmission with no other extras you still have a fantastic car.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I chose all the sport options and left the interior alone for the most part except for the premium package plus and the Bose sound. Got the Rhodium silver paint. Looks pretty standard. Works for me. I am more interested in the handling and performance and less interested in tweaking the look. No right answer. Whatever makes you happy. Even if you got a standard C2 manual transmission with no other extras you still have a fantastic car.
Very true.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:09 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

i'm not too sure what one would consider white exterior with black interior. I kept my options limited to the performance options and the premium plus package(the led headlights are a must).
Old 11-21-2016, 08:10 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I didn't want to lose mine in a parking lot

Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

To me it would depend on the purpose.
Daily Driver? Silver or Black with a black interior and maybe a few accents to keep it interesting.

Weekend toy? A dark red or a bright blue. Perhaps a red or 2 toned interior.

No matter which car I'd get the sport steering wheel.

I have an aversion to carbon fiber accents...they're about the only thing I would easily forego.

NF
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I love looking at all of your builds - it gives me a lot of ideas for next time. Some very classy combinations posted so far!

Mine was CPO and the dealer told me that they originally spec'd it out this way (versus a customer order). I was very happy with this build and couldn't imagine another that would quite appeal to me in the same way. Black exterior with black leather interior. Yellow gauges and yellow seat belts to break up an otherwise very dark interior (even with the carbon fiber accents) and match the PCCBs. Aerokit cup adds a little excitement to the exterior. Lots of performance options that I probably don't need but I do appreciate when I autocross. Adaptive cruise control is very nice to have on the highway in moderate traffic (which we have more often than not here).

I will say, though, that while I love black that my heart skips a beat when I see Sapphire Blue. Such a gorgeous color.

In reality, even a base 911 with no options is still a 911 and a blast to drive.

031 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) with PASM sport suspension
176 Sport Exhaust System
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
345 Steering wheel heating
427 20 inch Carrera Classic wheel
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
456 Adaptive cruise control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
640 Sport Chrono Package
653 Sunroof in glass
658 Power Steering Plus
672 Navigation Module
A1 Black
AZ Black leather interior
EEJ Carbon interior package (for leather interior and PDK)
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18*way)
P3A Burmester® Audio Package
P3G Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18 way)
UN1 Online Services
X51 Carrera S Powerkit
XAA Aerokit Cup
XES Preparation door entry guards, illuminated
XEX Bi*Xenon™ headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
XFR Instrument dials in Racing Yellow
XHL Multifunction steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating
XHM Center console trim in Carbon
XHN Seat belts in Racing Yellow
XRP Wheel spacers, 5 mm
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests
XWK Sport Seats Plus backrests shell in leather
XXD Door sill guards in carbon, illuminated
XYB Fuel filler cap with Aluminium Look finish

Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmedude
i'm not too sure what one would consider white exterior with black interior. I kept my options limited to the performance options and the premium plus package(the led headlights are a must).
And I hate the look of the LED's and find the Xenon's perfectly adequate. Good to have options!

Quick Reply: How to build it?