958 Cayenne Turbo faster than Tesla p90d

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 958 Cayenne Turbo faster than Tesla p90d

= dream garage?

not to 60, that was insane. But on the highway? No doubt the CTT was much faster from 60-90

had the chance to drive new p90d at my local tesla dealer so I took it. The torque is amazing, instant go at all speeds, and from 0-60 it was MUCH faster than the CTT. Which is why I was so disappointed in the 60-90 acceleration. It immediately jumps forward, then kind of slows down accelerating to a passing speed.

Now I will say the CTT only gets that power when I use the paddle shifters to go down to 3rd and put it in Sport mode. If I don't touch the shifters or sport button and I'm loafing around in 8th gear at 60mph and floor it the Tesla would hand me it's rear bumper without ever changing gears or pressing a button because the Tesla has no gears. But if I know I need to get around someone, and usually I do, the Cayenne easily wins

= WINNER!!

= maybe next time...

Last edited by boxsternewbie; 03-22-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Hey BN, I understand your propensity to "compare" given your new purchase, and the opportunity to drive the p90d. And I ENJOY the fact that you posted this here. So don't get me wrong, I am loving that you did this,... because I certainly do benefit from hearing the performance comparison for sure,... so thank you in advance.

but just know that my real-world opinion is that for the many immediate buying population are out there, my eye brows raise when I hear them comparing a SUV to a Sedan. If they are doing so, they need to get the rest of the life style priorities in line, before getting to that conclusion.

Lol. Just sayin'.

But I enjoy your enthusiasm!! You are a better man than I,.. since I don't really have the ***** to head down to a Tesla dealership & ask to drive. Did you already know them there?

=S
Old 03-20-2016, 11:37 AM
dave911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright...my 2 cents....I'm moving to LA area in a couple months, and need to simplify, as I grow my own business again. Solar panels and recharging sound nice. Sooo...I took a test drive in the top of the line Tesla...thinking I'd sell both my Targa and Cayenne GTS to afford. The car was incredibly quick, but had ZERO soul. It felt like an Infinity (sorry Infinity owners). Like an appliance, not a companion. I'm now thinking of just keeping the Cayenne and eating the gas prices to hold on to the "fun" factor that seems to be missing from the battery only set. More on the quick tho...When I punched the Tesla throttle it would peel the tires, retard a bit then peel the tires again, then retard a bit (i guess that's an ignition timing thing, but you get my drift), and then one more time ALL before hitting 60 mph. It was like the hand of G-d shoving us. Truly incredible. If speed were the only factor in my affinity for a vehicle, the deal would have been done!
Old 03-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Tesla's instant torque always gives it the off-the-line advantage. Watch videos of it smoke the Lamborghini and Ferarri at launch....only to be crushed, on final drive.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey BN, I understand your propensity to "compare" given your new purchase, and the opportunity to drive the p90d. And I ENJOY the fact that you posted this here. So don't get me wrong, I am loving that you did this,... because I certainly do benefit from hearing the performance comparison for sure,... so thank you in advance.

but just know that my real-world opinion is that for the many immediate buying population are out there, my eye brows raise when I hear them comparing a SUV to a Sedan. If they are doing so, they need to get the rest of the life style priorities in line, before getting to that conclusion.

Lol. Just sayin'.

But I enjoy your enthusiasm!! You are a better man than I,.. since I don't really have the ***** to head down to a Tesla dealership & ask to drive. Did you already know them there?

=S
I know I know, they're not exactly in the same league, guess I was only comparing them because I was considering a Tesla before getting the 958 CTT so this is really for my own benefit and anyone else that might have been in the same position I was in.

But the Tesla is a 7 seater with those two rear facing seats in the trunk, and with that front trunk it probably has more room than many SUVs. Add in the AWD, the luxury "look at me" brand and amazing acceleration and I could see see why someone might cross-shop Porsche and Tesla
Old 03-21-2016, 01:08 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by dave911
Alright...my 2 cents....I'm moving to LA area in a couple months, and need to simplify, as I grow my own business again. Solar panels and recharging sound nice. Sooo...I took a test drive in the top of the line Tesla...thinking I'd sell both my Targa and Cayenne GTS to afford. The car was incredibly quick, but had ZERO soul. It felt like an Infinity (sorry Infinity owners). Like an appliance, not a companion. I'm now thinking of just keeping the Cayenne and eating the gas prices to hold on to the "fun" factor that seems to be missing from the battery only set. More on the quick tho...When I punched the Tesla throttle it would peel the tires, retard a bit then peel the tires again, then retard a bit (i guess that's an ignition timing thing, but you get my drift), and then one more time ALL before hitting 60 mph. It was like the hand of G-d shoving us. Truly incredible. If speed were the only factor in my affinity for a vehicle, the deal would have been done!
Really? That might have been the tires, I went on several 0-60 runs, never had a problem with the tires breaking loose in the manner you're describing
Old 03-21-2016, 01:10 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Tesla's instant torque always gives it the off-the-line advantage. Watch videos of it smoke the Lamborghini and Ferarri at launch....only to be crushed, on final drive.
Yes you are correct, I've seen those videos, but there's almost nothing showing 60-90 which is what I care about far more than 0-60. It's very rare I'm at a stoplight and need to get to 60 quickly
Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dave911

About no soul :
You make me think about a guy that used to tell me "my son say to me that my Lexus is not a car, ..it is an appliance !"
I love the Tesla's, the line (of the "S") is absolutely beautiful, but, ..I'm not going to change my Panamera (4S) even, if a free swap would be offered to me !
Btw, I'm curious that no body ever nicknamed the T ..an "Appliance" !

And, Yes, the CTT is incredible, when you are in sport mode and have some rpm under the foot, but the problem on ours, is that it is INCREDIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE, i.e.: not any better than my track car, that has PSS9 on each corners !
Now, almost a year and the dealer is not able to find any reason, and keep saying, "this is normal" !!!!!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the Teslas and the S sure is fast, but in the real world everyone drives them gingerly to get usable range. If you went hard off the line at even a few stoplight, you would get nowhere real quick.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:16 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Old 03-22-2016, 10:20 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by morrisdl
I love the Teslas and the S sure is fast, but in the real world everyone drives them gingerly to get usable range. If you went hard off the line at even a few stoplight, you would get nowhere real quick.
I wouldn't say that's true, at least no more than any other performance vehicle. In my experience driving it fast resulted in roughly half the range, which is about how much any vehicle I've ever driven loses in range if I race around in it. Also since this was a 24 hour test drive I drove it harder than I would have if it was mine all the time, so it might do better if it was my daily driver.

Surprisingly 0-60 did not use nearly as much electricity as 60-90 runs. Not sure why, gearing perhaps? More power needed to spin faster at higher speeds?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:27 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO

About no soul :
You make me think about a guy that used to tell me "my son say to me that my Lexus is not a car, ..it is an appliance !"
I love the Tesla's, the line (of the "S") is absolutely beautiful, but, ..I'm not going to change my Panamera (4S) even, if a free swap would be offered to me !
Btw, I'm curious that no body ever nicknamed the T ..an "Appliance" !

And, Yes, the CTT is incredible, when you are in sport mode and have some rpm under the foot, but the problem on ours, is that it is INCREDIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE, i.e.: not any better than my track car, that has PSS9 on each corners !
Now, almost a year and the dealer is not able to find any reason, and keep saying, "this is normal" !!!!!
yes yes, 958 CTT is incredible, but I will say it was nice to just press the pedal and GO in the Tesla. No sport mode, no paddle shifting to 3rd, just foot down and GONE

oh and the self-driving was AMAZING. To watch it stay in the lane and take corners and maintain distance from traffic was impressive. I grabbed drivethru dinner in the CTT today and was really wishing I had self-driving in the Porsche while I was eating and driving

Would I replace the CTT with a Tesla p90d? uhh..... that's a tough question, but I'll say this is probably the only vehicle I would consider, and I would only do it if I had another porsche in the garage because I never want to be porscheless
Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Tesla Model S will now beat the Hybrid 918 accelerating from 0 to 60

Old 11-20-2016, 12:15 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I understand, a Tesla can't even make it around a track. They overheat and go into limp mode. So yes, they are faster 0-60, but they have serious limitations beyond that.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Quick, yes...

But they are also top end limited to, I think, 152 or 154 mph. So pretty much any car in the category will beat the Tesla over anything more than a half mile or so.

So the 60-90 grunt in a car that's going half its max isn't that much of a surprise. Plus, the additional drag of going 60 (vs 0) certainly works against that instant go.

Quick Reply: 958 Cayenne Turbo faster than Tesla p90d