Sponsored by:

rear wing not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Jcporsche911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wing not working

I have a situation with the rear wing not working. I dose not move when pressing the button and when I reach 75 mph.

I little background on how this situation started. I brought this car recently. Is a 2006 c2 997. When I purchased the car it had a fixed wing installed but the owner had the original wing. So I switched the car to its original state. When the original wing was installed it was inoperable, it didn't move when pressing the dash button. The following things have been checked:

1. We feed 12 volts to the wing on the wire harness and it moves up and down. So it is not
the motor.

2. The fuse was checked and was good. To my understanding there is only one fuse . Am I correct?

3. The spoiler button was switched with another and did not work either. No light appears whe pressing the button.

4. The computer was coded to indicate that the rear wing was installed.

I do not receive any errors regarding the wing but I do have an error message "check raised brake light" and my third brake light is not working. It might be related but I don't know.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

If a fixed wing was installed the computer was programmed that it's a fixed wing or a warning would appear.

You need to get a Durametric to code it so it's not a fixed wing.
The following users liked this post:
myw (11-26-2021)
Old 11-19-2016, 08:57 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
If a fixed wing was installed the computer was programmed that it's a fixed wing or a warning would appear.

You need to get a Durametric to code it so it's not a fixed wing.
^^^This
Old 11-19-2016, 09:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

But OP said that the computer was coded to say it has an active wing in his list item #4, so I think he covered that. Edit: But it certainly seems that what the two prior posts suggests might be the problem. It would be good to double-check that it was programmed correctly before going too far. Who did the programming with what device?

Let me ask you a lot of questions to clarify things:

When you say wing, do you mean the spoiler (the grill part), or is it really a wing, like the one from a Turbo. What model of car is this? The reason I ask is the wiring harness for a Turbo is a different harness than the one for a non-Turbo and the switches and third brake light wiring are different.

What wiring harness was in the car when the car had a fixed wing? Was it the same one. Are you sure the original harness hasn't been cut or spliced somehow by the original owner? In case you don't have it, here is the wiring diagram for a 997 Carrera, assuming that is what you have.

If you look at the diagram, you'll see that there is a switch in the spoiler that switches power to the light in the spoiler when it is deployed and turns off the one below the window. If the spoiler isn't raising the spoiler brake light won't turn on.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:10 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

If you hit 75 mph and do not get a 'spoiler failure' warning on the dash OBC then it hasn't been coded by a Dura or PIWIS as having a mechanical spoiler/wing.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:36 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^ This
Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
^^^ This
This
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Jcporsche911
7th Gear

Sorry guys for not replying earlier. This where I stand with my problem. I took the car today to the mechanic and the hooked up the car to the durametric and coded in the rear spoiler. When they tried to activate the spoiler with the system, it did not moved and it still does not work with the button on the dash. Everything is set in the computer side. The mechanic recommend to run the car and go above 75 mph and wait for the error code so they can pick it up with the scanner. I did what the mechanic recommended and I did not get an error code but the rear spoiler went up and it stayed up.

Know the spoiler is up and it stilll dose not work with the button (,manual mode)..

I'm still receiving the check raised brake light error code
Old 11-26-2016, 06:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

So just to be certain, when you say "the rear spoiler went up and it stayed up", do you mean it is now up all of the time, or did it lower again when your speed dropped back down below 37mph?

Edited: Changing this part, forgot which thread I was responding to, this is the spoiler one and not the Turbo wing one. Sorry about that!

However, the question still remains: Has the wiring harness for the car been modified? Can you see splices anywhere?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Jcporsche911
7th Gear

That is correct StormRun, the rear spoiler is up, and it has not retracted. In regards to wiring harness, it looks original and it doesn't seem that it has been spliced. But I might be wrong.

Can you send me that wiring harness diagram or point me to where can I find it online so I can take a look at it tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Okay. Did the brake light on the spoiler come on, or is it still dark and the normal one just below the window is working even with the spoiler up? I ask because the switching of the light requires the sensor that detects the spoiler is up to be working. If that sensor/switch isn't working then I'd think the car doesn't know whether the spoiler is up or down.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Jcporsche911
7th Gear

I just checked and the third brake light and the light on the spoiler are not working. The only lights that are coming up are the Left and right tail lights.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Dang. This sounds unusual. I tried to look at online parts/electrical diagrams to determine if the switch itself was easy to replace and fairly cheap so you could experiment with replacing that, but from what I think I see it seem the switch may be integrated into the motor. I don't really know though and don't even know if that is the problem. I'd recommend just getting a dealership's service department to sort it out, but it's not my money on the table so maybe that is easy for me to say.

The only other thing I can think of trying before that is to make sure that all of the connectors are connected and seated well. Maybe try to identify the wires going to the switch in the diagram and trace them to the switch and make sure they are plugged in? Clearly the wires to the motor itself are working since it went up. Outside of that, I'm out of suggestions.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you look at the diagram, you'll see that there is a switch in the spoiler that switches power to the light in the spoiler when it is deployed and turns off the one below the window. If the spoiler isn't raising the spoiler brake light won't turn on.

Thanks for the diagram, doing a fixed wing conversion and nice to identify the circuits I am unplugging. Thank you. Btw - Where did you get such a nice diagram?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:50 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Is there a chance that if the other third brake light that serves the raised spoiler is burned out the spoiler won't deploy as a safety measure??

Quick Reply: rear wing not working