Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving from GTS Cab to Turbo S or GT3 - anything to consider

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I love the cool freebies from PCNA. My 911R posters are going to perfect for my mancave!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:58 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
If you want more of a raw feel and engaging driving experience, don't get a TTS. It's blazing fast but you may find it lacking emotion. I went from a .1C2S 7MT to a .1TT because I wanted more torque. Found the TT to be uninspiring so I traded it for a .1GTS 7MT. Couldn't be happier.

Try a .2CS and see if that does it for you.
I'm listening. I've driven a tts that the dealer had in stock and it felt blazing fast but my internal meter knew that the torque and accessible power was what made it feel faster than the other variants. The power is acessable at every RPM and is easy for anybody to drive fast. Sure it will pull on a GTS but not as much as one would think. Driven properly, a GTS is also very fast.

I've personally raced a Nissan GTR and beat it. If your caught out of gear a Prius will give you a good run. No doubt. The magic is within the driver. It's much more challenging to extract the power out of the N/A. It much more on/off. Very dosile when off but that is the beauty of it. In the correct hands it's a weapon and in the wrong hands it's a dud. It's about afluancy and it will reward the better driver and punish the novice. It's not for everyone. I'm in love and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I'm going the other way, had a turbo s cab and gt3 sold them both to look for a gts cab. I'll buy yours ! PM me!
Ditto (well, not the GT3 part; the Turbo part). I had a Turbo, glad I got to enjoy one for awhile. Every red-blooded American car guy who had one of "The Posters" back in the day ought to own a Turbo at some point. But after two years I realized I missed the NA experience of working it to get your power. Thought I'd just add a GTS and keep the Turbo. Nope. Kept the GTS, sold the Turbo after a short time of owning both.

Obviously that's not everybody's opinion, or they wouldn't keep selling Turbos. But you're not alone in your thinking.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Excellence Magazine June 2016 pp 55....."Top Gun Turbo" ('17 991.2 first drive/test)

"Most people would assume that the Turbo makes up a very small percentage
of 991 sales. In reality however, it has accounted for an astonishing 25% of sales over
the last two years, underlining the draw of the non-GT flagship model...."

Old 11-14-2016, 09:22 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 244 Posts

To elaborate, like others I bought the TTS in awe of the power and handling but honestly it wasn't really that fun unless you were stomping on the gas and being thrown back into your seat, so doing that a lot also racked up a fair amount of warnings and tickets.

I didn't like the turbo lag and the awd system, I enjoy a naturally aspirated motor and a acceleration feeling that is linear and controllable. but the rear wheel steering is crazy good that is the only thing i miss.

On the GT3 I just find the car to be too unrefined (in a good way) to use as a daily. I actually think my RS is easier to drive than the GT3 day to day. it loved to be driven hard and unless you were doing that it was just not that great of a car to drive at low speeds.

Sell me your GTS!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 PM
305M3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are close to PEC - Atlanta or soon to open (may be open already) in LA, they have a package where you get to run each back-to-back. I got that package and it was eye opening how different the cars were. That's what I'd do to help me decide.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:01 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for feedback guys. Yep, Im in Atlanta and my dealer has setup an experience the PEC to drive the two in question. Really good feedback on the 991.2 as well - hadn't really considered it.

That GT2RS - yeah that does check all the boxes for sure!!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:24 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Your quest is over:

Raw as road rash. Thrust like a Saturn V. Aero doodads out it's fat, sassy ***. Pick 3.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Haha, GT2RS, good choice!

Spendy tho...
Oh, so now you want a Pick 4???

Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by philipatl
Thanks so much for feedback guys. Yep, Im in Atlanta and my dealer has setup an experience the PEC to drive the two in question. Really good feedback on the 991.2 as well - hadn't really considered it.

That GT2RS - yeah that does check all the boxes for sure!!
Good to drive them both on the track........and on a country road, to compare both cars.

I enjoy power and almost bought a 911 turbo, but I'm so glad I ended up with a GT3. You feel 10X more connected to the car and to the road than a 911 Turbo, and also more connected and raw than a 991 Carrera of any stripe.

Two things to keep in mind regarding power.

1-The GT3 has unique lower gearing, different from the gearing in the regular 991 models, and that low GT3 gearing is a torque multiplier. You'll be surprised how powerful it feels compared to a 991.1 GTS.
2- Not that you bought it for this reason, but 0-60 was mentioned by another poster and the GT3 is a stoplight/drag race monster, mainly due to PDK-S, and the lower gearing. I drag race with some car buddies and the 0-60 time of my unmodified GT3 is 3.0 seconds flat. I have beat in the quarter mile a 991 GTS, M3, Tesla, Corvette (even the Z06), mustangs, Ferrari 458, and tied with a Nissan GTR. Only cars faster in the quarter mile were a Mclaren and a 911 Turbo.

991 GT3 is very fast off the line, but feels light, raw, and connected to the road. And the sound is 100X better than a 911 Turbo. GT3 will also hold its value much, much better than a 911 turbo.

991 GT3 is very compliant and enjoyable even on long trips. It's firmer and louder than a Carrera for sure, but I daily drove mine for a month with no problems, and have driven across large states on a few trips, and didn't regret it. I would never have done either in a 997 GT3, but the 991 GT3 is much easier to live with.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-17-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Moving from GTS Cab to Turbo S or GT3 - anything to consider