Sponsored by:

Moving from GTS Cab to Turbo S or GT3 - anything to consider

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving from GTS Cab to Turbo S or GT3 - anything to consider

So..last year I specced a GT Silver 991.1 GTS Cab - I love it; however, two things that I find missing - I really like the aero package of the GT3 and to a lesser extent the Turbo. Also, I really would like to have more torque and/or raw feel.

I think I would like to upgrade to a Turbo S but wanted to get the feedback of any of you who have considered moving from a 991 to a 991 Turbo.

Also, while I'm asking..anyone gone from regular 991 to a GT3? This is intriguing but I won't be tracking..so it seems to me to be a waste of a wonderful car.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Why not just add the aero package?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the big decision is whether you want more torque Or more raw feel. The TTS will give you the first, the GT3 the second, but each won't give you much of the other...
Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by philipatl
So..last year I specced a GT Silver 991.1 GTS Cab - I love it; however, two things that I find missing - I really like the aero package of the GT3 and to a lesser extent the Turbo. Also, I really would like to have more torque and/or raw feel.

I think I would like to upgrade to a Turbo S but wanted to get the feedback of any of you who have considered moving from a 991 to a 991 Turbo.

Also, while I'm asking..anyone gone from regular 991 to a GT3? This is intriguing but I won't be tracking..so it seems to me to be a waste of a wonderful car.
You didn't exactly ask, but have you thought about a 991.2S? I had a 997.2 TT and test drove the 991 GTS, in my hopes of liking it. Having been driving a TT with lots of torque, the GTS wasn't for me. I then drove the 991.2S, and was amazed at how much torque and acceleration it had. Obviously the 991 TT will be more so, but the 991.2S may be all you need, so if you haven't driven it yet, give it a try. It could meet your needs for torque/acceleration, albeit you won't be able to check the box for aero package (at least not OEM).
Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I think the big decision is whether you want more torque Or more raw feel. The TTS will give you the first, the GT3 the second, but each won't give you much of the other...
This...

TTS & GT3 are both sublime but for very different reasons.

TTS is also superior if you have the Mod bug.

You won't find a more visceral feeling than the GT3.

Have you considered adding a DSC module doohickie and the aero that you're looking for? That won't net you the torque but it sounds like you have 3 requirements and will need to pick 2.

1. Aero 2. Torque 3. raw feeling

Pick 2.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Man, I started to type a response, and then deleted it. You seem very confused. You're talking about the two very opposite ends of the 911 lineup. One is all about torque, and absolutely bludgeoning the road into submission with AWD, torque vectoring, etc, etc. The other is a high RPM screamer that's made for precision, not comfort.

Need to decide this first. Given the fact you seem bored with your GTS, I'd say a Turbo isn't going to do it for you. Will be like your GTS but faster.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

If you find the GTS boring I recon you'll find the Turbo S to be a flying sofa. Faster than just about anything out there but not a whole lot of emotion. The GT3 on the other hand is a triple shot of espresso in the morning. It's not as fast as a Turbo (but faster than your GTS cab) BUT has personality and attitude.

For me, I'll take personality and attitude any day over a flying sofa.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Need backseat?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Man, I started to type a response, and then deleted it. You seem very confused. You're talking about the two very opposite ends of the 911 lineup. One is all about torque, and absolutely bludgeoning the road into submission with AWD, torque vectoring, etc, etc. The other is a high RPM screamer that's made for precision, not comfort.

Need to decide this first. Given the fact you seem bored with your GTS, I'd say a Turbo isn't going to do it for you. Will be like your GTS but faster.
Agree with this ^^^. OP You should decide what you really like or don't like about your GTS because the GT3 and Turbo are almost complete opposites.

Turbo is very torquey and quick to accelerate but heavier and somewhat disconnected from the road. This car is blindingly fast and torquey, and a little scary when you nail it if you are not ready for that level of power.

GT3 has poor low torque until you wind it up but is lighter in weight vs Turbo and has a very connected feel to the road but comfort is not its strong suit. In other words the stop light grand prix is not what the GT3 is for. The track is its game and you will really never be able to appreciate it until you can drive it in anger on a track. Yeah it does look really cool.

I moved from a 991.1 C2S to a 991.2 C2S with a more performance oriented build because of the weak torque on the .1. Maybe look at the .2 C2S as well with Sport PASM, Sport Package.

Drive a bunch of cars and decide what you like best....good luck. I say this frequently but I really believe it helps...go to Porsche Sport Driving School. You will get to drive several different models at speed on a track and get to see how they feel and some of their nuances. Really gave me insight into what I really wanted in a 911...that is why I moved from a .1 C2S to a .2 C2S. I daily drive my car.

BTW, if you have a couple of hours you should read about what an aero package is supposed to do and the use of a wind tunnel to get it to do that. Admittedly it looks very cool but most people get it for cosmetics. It doesn't add any HP or get you around the corner faster on the street.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely in the same boat. Love the GTS, but could also use more torque. Considering upgrading to the TTS. I've decided to go to the Porsche sport driving school as Driven911 suggested to make my final decision.

With regard to the GT3, if the GTS doesnt do it for you, then the GT3 wont either especially if youre not tracking.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:00 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Your quest is over:

Raw as road rash. Thrust like a Saturn V. Aero doodads out it's fat, sassy ***. Pick 3.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Your quest is over:

Raw as road rash. Thrust like a Saturn V. Aero doodads out it's fat, sassy ***. Pick 3.

Haha, good choice!

Spendy tho...
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm going the other way, had a turbo s cab and gt3 sold them both to look for a gts cab. I'll buy yours ! PM me!
Old 11-14-2016, 04:24 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want more of a raw feel and engaging driving experience, don't get a TTS. It's blazing fast but you may find it lacking emotion. I went from a .1C2S 7MT to a .1TT because I wanted more torque. Found the TT to be uninspiring so I traded it for a .1GTS 7MT. Couldn't be happier.

Try a .2CS and see if that does it for you.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Went from new '13 C2S (owned for 2 years) to new'15 991TT (1 year now)

Rear Axle steering + 4WD & unlimited power.

You will not be disappointed if you jump.....

This marketing book came out a few months ago for the '17's - will give you the "wants"

Quick Reply: Moving from GTS Cab to Turbo S or GT3 - anything to consider