Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are 997 brake lines stainless steel braided?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:28 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I am in the process of working with Essex to get a six line set made for a 997.2. Using Spiegler Stainless Brake lines, and lengthening the rigid line that is connecting the line to the caliper. I have GiroDisc 350mm rotors, and everytime the rotors are removed, you need to remove the small screw that holds the line to the spindle. It is a real pita. I sent three lines to them to do some measuring and make me the initial set. I will be doing a few photos when I do the change.

Read about the six line kit:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9418...ard-lines.html
Old 10-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
The difference between a set of stock and SS brake lines is about $60 vs $100. Hardly anything to loose sleep over.
Point Is that whoever told you brake lines last 10 years is wrong so you don't have to spend any money at all
Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Point Is that whoever told you brake lines last 10 years is wrong so you don't have to spend any money at all
I drove 197K miles on my 2000 Boxster S lines.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed my StopTech SS braided lines today..haven't been out for a drive yet so I can't comment about any difference in feel but I noticed the inside diameter seemed to be smaller on the StopTech than the OEM lines. Both the fronts and rears are exactly the same on the 997.1. Oddly you'll need a different size line wrench for the fitting attached to the car(7/16th) than the fitting attached to the caliper(10mm)...go figure right? Italian calipers attached to a German automobile.

Picked these up for ~$64 from Rock Auto.

Here's a few shots:

Stock:

StopTech SS Braided:

Differences

Differences

Rear (no plastic protective coils on the rear lines)

The connection point behind the rear caliper
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Looks great. Everything I'm sure you'll feel a firmness difference.

The fittings are a different size intentionally do you can hold one with 1 wrench while holding the other with a different wrench so as not to twist the metal hard line.
One issue with factory rubber brake lines, even if they are reinforced, is that they're rubber inside, and from contact with the brake fluid makes the rubber swell up over time, narrowing the passageway. The good stainless lines are Teflon inside so they don't have this issue.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nice job! Thanx for the pix...... now cut that old line open !!!

Did you need a flare wrench? Were the nuts corroded?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks great. Everything I'm sure you'll feel a firmness difference.

The fittings are a different size intentionally do you can hold one with 1 wrench while holding the other with a different wrench so as not to twist the metal hard line.
You missed adding the crazy theory emoji.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitten
You missed adding the crazy theory emoji.
knows alot more about computers than about mechanics
Old 10-04-2016, 01:04 AM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Nice job! Thanx for the pix...... now cut that old line open !!!

Did you need a flare wrench? Were the nuts corroded?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Nope, no need for a flare tool or any other "special" tool. Just line wrenches and open ended wrenches will get it done. Flare tool is for making hard lines. All I did was replace the flexible lines with SS Braids.

The nuts were not corroded though one of my caliper bleeders was plugged up with crap..had to remove it and clean it out because it wouldn't bleed. Will probably pull the caliper this winter and give it a going over to make sure there isn't more crap in it. The fluid did eventually run clean though.

Took her for a spin tonight and the brakes felt great! I get a bit more feel out of them..if that makes any sense. It's not really firmer or softer..they just feel like I can modulate them more precisely. I did also change pads and fluid though so obviously this isn't a 1 to 1 comparison.

Here's a pic of the inside of the stock lines.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

From the pic, it seems the answer to the OP's question is that the stock hoses are not metal braided. That winding looks like a textile, not metal.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Fabulous..... thanx so much for this..... looks like nylon braid. So....... is steel braid any better than nylon? Me thinks not.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-05-2016, 12:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

brake systems can reach 1200+ PSI. Someone smarter than I can do something with that info to gauge tensile strength of nylon vs SS.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

obviously rubber tube not teflon
Old 10-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another option to consider:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...-p/por1700.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 104K miles

Thanks Tom! I just installed the exact same StopTech lines as Tom (same part number) and I flushed using my new Motiv bleeder.

Why did I put on SS lines? I dunno, they cost me $80 for two packs of two via Amazon (Tom got a way better deal) and I wanted to have some fun. I had to replace the rotors, pads and flush fluid in my wifes Lexus IS250, I needed to re-flush mine too... well it got out of hand and I ordered the Motiv and lines. Don't drink and surf Amazon at the same time.

Result? Best brake feel I ever had... more solid. So the SS lines are better? Naw, I can't believe I can really tell..... my brakes were getting mushy so I guess I just don't remember what a solid pedal was.... but my pedal sure is hard now.

Tip: Tom shows that the old Porsche springy-thing can be easily removed from the old lines and installed on the new.... very easy to do.
Tip for dopes: If you do just your rears, then your fronts like I did, then remove the pressure from your power bleeder or you will have a big puddle of fluid (like I did).

The Motiv bleeder is really nice but honestly, if you have a friend to pump the pedal, you will get your job done faster than dicking with the power bleeder. But, if you don't have a friend, then the Motiv is a must.
Tip: I needed to get an additional Motiv cap for my other car.... oddly, it was cheaper to get the Euro bottle with the add on Lexus cap, than the other way around.

Those Porsche hoses are really well built. The nylon mesh is a multi-layer thing and I suspect very strong and I can't believe they would expand at all. The inner tube is just rubber.... I understand Teflon tubes to be more harder plastic-like. Does an inner rubber tube make things not good? Naw, I ran 197K miles on my original Porsche brake lines on my Boxster and never had an issue.

So.... should you do SS lines? Sure! If you like being entertained by this stuff, otherwise, forget it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-07-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Are 997 brake lines stainless steel braided?