Sponsored by:

991.2 Radiator Air Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 991.2 Radiator Air Flaps

I have been struggling to find a good picture of the radiator air flaps in closed position. I found this and thought it was worth sharing.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested in also knowing exactly when they open and what parameter it is based on? Oil temp, water temp, air temp? Are they speed dependent etc?

Anybody know?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

I think I read somewhere that they were speed dependent
Old 10-27-2016, 09:05 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think I read somewhere that they were speed dependent
from the brochure:

The active air intake flaps in the front air intakes act to reduce fuel consumption during everyday trips and to achieve superlative performance on sporty drives. Already proven on the 918 Spyder, the flaps close automatically while the car is in motion and thereby reduce drag. On demand or in SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode, the flaps open and help to provide optimum engine cooling.

This means that cooling air is supplied only to the extent that it is actually needed. That’s efficiency. Of the intelligent kind.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (01-23-2023)
Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
On demand or in SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode, the flaps open and help to provide optimum engine cooling.

This means that cooling air is supplied only to the extent that it is actually needed. That’s efficiency. Of the intelligent kind.
Yeah....but most of us are driving in Sport or Sport+ almost exclusively....thus negating any efficiency intended. ;-)
Old 10-27-2016, 08:20 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Yeah....but most of us are driving in Sport or Sport+ almost exclusively....thus negating any efficiency intended. ;-)
Yup, only drive in sport mode, first thing I do when I get in the car is turn the dial to S.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:29 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

"I bought my new 911 for the gas savings" -no one ever
Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My drives are frequently on Tollways and Expressways in ACC, Auto Stop/Start ON (Coasting Function). Rarely do I use Sport and Sport + only on Track.
I have only used the 'Push to Pass' button once on road and instantly regretted it's usage as very quickly I was at 'Go To Jail' speed!
I have no idea of what those flaps are doing?-Richard
Old 10-29-2016, 07:12 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Does the center grill feed air to anything? Dependence on base vs. S, manual vs. PDK?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:30 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
My drives are frequently on Tollways and Expressways in ACC, Auto Stop/Start ON (Coasting Function). Rarely do I use Sport and Sport + only on Track.
I have only used the 'Push to Pass' button once on road and instantly regretted it's usage as very quickly I was at 'Go To Jail' speed!
I have no idea of what those flaps are doing?-Richard
Sounds like what you lack is a good radar detector and laser jamming — don't let someone else determine how fast you can go.

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Does the center grill feed air to anything? Dependence on base vs. S, manual vs. PDK?
Center grill is actually completely closed off, though that photo doesn't make it look like that. You can kind of see it in this photo:

Old 10-30-2016, 04:43 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Sounds like what you lack is a good radar detector and laser jamming — don't let someone else determine how fast you can go"

The C4S is my 'daily driver' and I drive mostly in the Chicago/Milwaukee Corridor and even though enforcement is limited in Illinois, the State Patrol is visible on the Tollway just about every time I drive it but the real concern is the congestion and aggression. I usually cruise at 75 unless I follow a 'train' in the hammer lane. In Wisconsin going more than 75 will guarantee you a ticket in Kenosha and Racine counties as they keep Sherrif's deputies whose full time assignment is I-94 along with the State Patrol.
BTW I have V1's on both cars and monitor WAZE. I have used V1 units since 2003.
But these do not make you safe from the traffic and congestion on the roads.
My forays to Road America and Blackhawk help my 'Need for Speed'!-Richard.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Radiator Air Flaps