Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Odometer at 999,999

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:53 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Odometer at 999,999

At Daytona last weekend, my 1999 Spec Boxster got pulled for a random safety inspection by the scruts. They had me run the engine to 2,500 rpm, then pulled the emergency cut-off. It worked fine. They reset it, and I started the car and drove away.

But I noticed that my speed was now in KM and the temp was in C. Even worse, my trip odo had reset to 000 and my odometer was at 999,999 and didn't budge.

All of the "best minds" at Daytona made suggestions, and the two-part problem was eventually solved.

1- To toggle between metric (KM/H) and U.S. (MPH), twist the stem above the right instrument gauge to the LEFT and hold it for three seconds.

2- To reset the odometer to the original mileage, (a) Put the key in the ignition (if you have no key, just leave the power switch in the OFF position), (b) Disconnect the negative cable from the battery, (c) Turn the ignition key one position (if you have just a power switch, turn it ON), (d) Turn the ignition key back to the original position (or the power switch to OFF), (e) Reconnect the negative cable to the battery.

It will seem like nothing happened when the ignition key is turned. The car seems dead. But after you reconnect the battery, the odometer will have returned to the original mileage. Thanks to Todd Lamb at Atlanta Speedwerks for this brilliant solution.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:08 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad you got it working properly - such a bizarre "feature" by Porsche.

Quick Reply: Odometer at 999,999