Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

How important are fresh stickers in SPB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Default How important are fresh stickers in SPB?

I used two new sets of tires for 4 races but I see a lot of guys running a new set each race, so I wonder if they are as important as they were (VERY) when I ran Hoosier's on my 911 D car? The thing with these Toyo's is they take a looooong time to physically wear out, I ran the set that came with my car for practice at Limerock and they had a 2014 date, at least one full race weekend, several DE's, along with Limerock practices, Cups and Saucers DE at the Glen, and Glen practices before I took them off at TBolt to make room for my new tires (for NJ and Summit race). They still looked great and I hated tossing them! Doing the thumbnail test vs. new rubber it was obvious they were substantially harder but they still performed pretty well..
Old 10-04-2016, 04:47 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's track and weather dependent for me but by default I usually like to 1-4 heat cycled tires over older ones and use the older ones for test/tune and practice. There are some tracks like Mid-Ohio, TWS, MSR (in the cold) that like older tires (4-8 heat cycles) because slip angle is incredibly important and you don't want too much grip.

But the thing to be cautious of is heat/pressure management. Fresh rubber is best for the first several laps but does create more heat/pressure and falls off at the end of the race more. Older tires take longer to build up but maintain speed towards the end of the race.

I believe the reason why there's a lot of new rubber out there for races is mostly because of the qualification style of PCA that the best lap qualifies you for the next race. So I try to qualify on the 2nd or 3rd lap and then I'm racing and managing the tires for the remaining.

My tires are toast at 10 HC and could be because of slip angle being created of amount and/or camber/toe I have on the car.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Guess i'm just cheap because I hate taking off tires that aren't worn out/flat-spotted/or shredded!
I asked Streak and he told me to never buy tires, just use other peoples take offs and i'll be fine...
Old 10-04-2016, 05:16 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Agree with Drake, the sweet spot is HC 2-4. Beyond that there is some drop-off, and equally important inner shoulder wear which reduces your effective camber. The big exception in the northeast as Chris mentioned is Mid-O.

If you setup your car (and your driving) to steer the rear first then you will simply go through more tires
Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Guess i'm just cheap because I hate taking off tires that aren't worn out/flat-spotted/or shredded!
I asked Streak and he told me to never buy tires, just use other peoples take offs and i'll be fine...

I still have not figured these out to be honest. Yes fresh tires are best but I've also run some laps very very close to fresh tires on ooooooold tires. They seem to drop off in the middle (7+ cycles) then come back. Last race at SP I put on 3 HC tires and was slower than the prior set which had well over 10 so I felt stupid throwing out what were apparently good tires.

I just dunno.

The point of SPB is to control cost so if RR's are only good for Qualy's and two sprints then they are sort of missing the point.

Last edited by Streak; 10-05-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Soooooo, I agree with Matt and Drake.....Mostly...

I find, mostly, like they do, that newer seems to result in fast lap times, at the expense of drop off. Balance that as needed and you have helped that little bit more...

Having all said that, I still only mostly agree....

You will never guess what HC the WGI lap is at........
Old 10-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Soooooo, I agree with Matt and Drake.....Mostly...

I find, mostly, like they do, that newer seems to result in fast lap times, at the expense of drop off. Balance that as needed and you have helped that little bit more...

Having all said that, I still only mostly agree....

You will never guess what HC the WGI lap is at........
LOL.. Next year will be my best year in SPB, so i'll do whatever I can to be more competitive.

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-05-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
LOL.. Next year will be my best year in SPB, so i'll do whatever I can to be more competitive.
What, this year was try-outs for you?

I am slow no matter what, so it doesn't really matter if they are old or new............
Old 10-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
What, this year was try-outs for you?
This year was a learning year, and i'm a slow learner...
Old 10-05-2016, 07:59 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I am still a rookie to this racing world, but I must say these tires are so confusing to me.

The wisdom on WC is, HC them once gently then let them sit for 24 hours then you are good to go

I have tried just going out and hammering on HC once and they are a tad slower for me

I have either retired or corded any set over 15 HC, but I know other quick folks that have set lap records on HC20

I also was recently told these tires love 4 degrees of camber which completely surprises me as I have been slowing increasing camber and notice that lap 1 and 2 tend to be bit slow then after they go fast whereas before I could go out lap one and hammer on under 3 degrees of camber.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If you guys want, I'll be happy to heat cycle tires for you.
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
If you guys want, I'll be happy to heat cycle tires for you.
lol
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Beats me, I haven't quite figured them out either. I went with the two race strategy this year too. At Summit I ran two sets of last years tires right up to 21 cycles each. The one thing I have learned for sure is to scuff up the rains before using them in the rain.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:29 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These tires are incredibly durable (my spb understeers), and I was within half a second of my time on new vs 21 hc tires.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

So how many wheel sets (excluding rains) each shod with how old tires does everyone bring to a standard race weekend? I'm assuming no one counts on (re)mounting and balancing tires on rims during the weekend?

Quick Reply: How important are fresh stickers in SPB?