Sponsored by:

Any dragstrip racing tips/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Yea, his first run I concur, but afterwards you're gonna make this guy in his Awesome Porsche be the laughing stock of the evening, especially at this paticular NJ Track.. When he gets blasted by a 13 Second Mustang...he'll be driving to the pits via the shame lane. Why even bother going to the drag strip, if you're not going to even try to cut a good light...damn.
He's in a high tech beast with launch control, AWD, and PDK, so what's to learn about his car...other than hold the heck on!!! He can show the NJ Mustangs and other goobers that a 997TT is no slouch or he can sit at the light and be completely comfortable and leave when his nerves settle or just take a nap...ZZZZZZZZ. He stated he wanted pointers on drag racing...not how to be embarrassed at the strip. Disappointed in your post. JB
yeah i see your point , but i was just telling him to learn the car and the staging process first. you pile on so much info on a new racer and it can get pretty overwhelming. sorry i dont worry about being the laughing stock so much as to learn the vehicle i'm driving and how to stage and get **** figured out. his car will prove itself no matter what, and he will destroy anything in the 12 second range on the boards at the end . i'm sure you have a bunch of .000 lights in your time slip database ! disappointed in your post too ! just trying to help a newb ! yeah after the first couple of course that stuff is settled and he can focus.

congrats on the great times !
Old 10-20-2016, 10:27 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhhhh....the alusive car magazine 0-60, Quarter Mile and Top Speed reports. Most are complete Bull Sh%$, as to achive those times the reporters who "do not own" these car...destroy clutches, tires and anything else after many runs to get those times. Auto Manufacturers have been caught slipping in cars that have been "pumped up." Then there's the "altitude" corrected times... There are some mags that are more honest than others, but I never give these mags much credit.
Way too many times I've seen new Corvette Owners with their new Supercharged Monsters run in the high 12s, then whine that its really a low 11 second car according to Mag XYZ...something must be wrong with this Vette. NO! You got suckered in the hype.
Mags love to report low times, because it's sells their product...so do the auto manufacturers.
The more you go to the track, the more you'll see it...hand them a tissue when the crying starts.
You have a Genuine Low 11 Second Street 100% Stock Car...with A/C and stereo. WOW!!!
JB
Haha yeah I do. We all do!
Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
yeah i see your point , but i was just telling him to learn the car and the staging process first. you pile on so much info on a new racer and it can get pretty overwhelming. sorry i dont worry about being the laughing stock so much as to learn the vehicle i'm driving and how to stage and get **** figured out. his car will prove itself no matter what, and he will destroy anything in the 12 second range on the boards at the end . i'm sure you have a bunch of .000 lights in your time slip database ! disappointed in your post too ! just trying to help a newb ! yeah after the first couple of course that stuff is settled and he can focus.

congrats on the great times !
Thanks! Was fun for my first time. Always learning and experiencing the fun stuff.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 PM
efria
Intermediate

Don't turn.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:00 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuff

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
i'm sure you have a bunch of .000 lights in your time slip database ! disappointed in your post too !

Hi Cecil, you got me really good on that last dig... You win this time.... Hey, all in fun!!! Laugh, you know it's funny!
I was thrilled the OP had a blast...so cool. JB
Old 10-21-2016, 06:19 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Hi Cecil, you got me really good on that last dig... You win this time.... Hey, all in fun!!! Laugh, you know it's funny!
I was thrilled the OP had a blast...so cool. JB
well played !
Old 12-05-2016, 12:01 AM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Launch Control question on my 15 PDK GTS, when I first tried it it felt fast and very controlled. Now the car does a slight pull to the right when it hits second gear. The shift is noticeably harder than it was a few thousand miles ago, it how has about 6200 on the clock. Not a big deal, just wondering if this is normal.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:22 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benson Lamb
I have a Launch Control question on my 15 PDK GTS, when I first tried it it felt fast and very controlled. Now the car does a slight pull to the right when it hits second gear. The shift is noticeably harder than it was a few thousand miles ago, it how has about 6200 on the clock. Not a big deal, just wondering if this is normal.
Is there equal tire wear side to side between the two fronts and two rears. Not sure where you're at, but surface temps can hugely impact grip and it is getting cooler... How about tire pressure, are the fronts and rears where they need to be? Not a clue why the shifts are so much harder unless colder temps are helping with your car's performance, did you change tunes?
BTW: What times are you running? JB
Old 12-05-2016, 12:33 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 180 Posts

Ok... I'll give this a go for an answer. I'm told by many these cars shift power from front to rear based on which tires are biting the best... not 100% awd all the time. I know for a fact when I'm drag racing my car drifts left to right probably first 100' out, riiiight around the 1-2 gear shift. I'm thinking these cars have a tendency to hunt very quickly for traction, hence the movement or sensation of the car pulling to one side or the other. Just my opinion...
Old 12-05-2016, 12:53 AM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires are evenly worn and pressure is 38F and 41R. I think you are right about the colder air helping the car develop more power. I previously had a highly modified 94 RX7, it was much faster in the winter air.
It is a C2 GTS. Not had it to a strip yet.
It probably isn't shifting harder, just the feeling I get from increased power.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benson Lamb
Tires are evenly worn and pressure is 38F and 41R. I think you are right about the colder air helping the car develop more power. I previously had a highly modified 94 RX7, it was much faster in the winter air.
It is a C2 GTS. Not had it to a strip yet.
It probably isn't shifting harder, just the feeling I get from increased power.
Most likely just the cooler air temps. if your tires are cold they'll spin and have a harder time hooking too.

I love boost weather :-)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Ok... I'll give this a go for an answer. I'm told by many these cars shift power from front to rear based on which tires are biting the best... not 100% awd all the time. I know for a fact when I'm drag racing my car drifts left to right probably first 100' out, riiiight around the 1-2 gear shift. I'm thinking these cars have a tendency to hunt very quickly for traction, hence the movement or sensation of the car pulling to one side or the other. Just my opinion...
mine too , and it's not an "S"

Quick Reply: Any dragstrip racing tips/advice?