Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any dragstrip racing tips/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dragstrip racing tips/advice?

What's up guys.

I might be heading to the dragstrip track tomorrow evening. I'll be looking to do some runs and was wondering if I should be on the lookout for anything and any tips.

It's Englishtown NJ test and tune night and there might be other 997 turbos there too.

I have a 100% stock 997.2 turbo s. Down to the stock tires crappy Michelin pilot sport 2s.

I apologize if this has been created before. A Google search didn't yield me much so please advise me otherwise. In addition if anybody wants to go and meet up and run let me know.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:48 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 180 Posts

Use launch control. I honestly wouldn't paddle shift... put it in Sport Plus and let it shift itself. Burnout not necessary, but I'd let a couple pounds of air out of the tires. Car should do well. Enjoy!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Use launch control. I honestly wouldn't paddle shift... put it in Sport Plus and let it shift itself. Burnout not necessary, but I'd let a couple pounds of air out of the tires. Car should do well. Enjoy!
Thanks!

My rear tires sit around 37 cold and over 41 warm.. front tires in the mid to high 30s psi.

I should let out some psi lol
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Not sure what your experience is, but these are general things to remember...

Don't drive through the water box, drive around it to avoid pulling water onto the staging lanes.

Focus on staging... You're better off not staging deep, meaning roll very slowly to turn on the second staging light and no more.

Learn your car's reaction to the lights. If you're waiting for the green light to come on before releasing the brakes...you'll be sitting at the tree by yourself... Learn to anticipate the green. To soon you'll red light...to late you're sleeping...this takes practice and patience. Using Launch Control, will provide the most consistent 60 ft times.

When stopping, learn to squeeze the brakes progressively, not slamming them on....

Safety gear, helment, etc... You could be fine until the racer next to you gets a late start then colides with you at full speed...as you're almost stopped.

Check your tires very closely....have a flashlight, check the inside walls too.

Watch the racer next to you...as much as pratical.

If for some reason you break on the track, carefully take the car to the far side of your lane closest to the wall and stop. Otherwise you'll **** everyone off if you're dropping fluids on the track...

Have a backup plan to get your car home...

Learn what works for you and repeat...the best runs feel smooth.

Last thing..you're there to have fun...lots of people forget that...

Let us know how it went....

Enjoy,
JB
Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 238 Posts

when at a test and tune to learn the craft and the car , i wouldnt even bother paying attention the car in the other lane or the lights on the tree , that gives you time not under pressure to get it right, your time DOES NOT START until you start moving , reaction time means nothing unless you're racing the guy in the other lane . leave whenever you want after the light turns green , breathe and have fun !
Old 10-20-2016, 12:23 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
when at a test and tune to learn the craft and the car , i wouldnt even bother paying attention the car in the other lane or the lights on the tree , that gives you time not under pressure to get it right, your time DOES NOT START until you start moving , reaction time means nothing unless you're racing the guy in the other lane . leave whenever you want after the light turns green , breathe and have fun !
Yea, his first run I concur, but afterwards you're gonna make this guy in his Awesome Porsche be the laughing stock of the evening, especially at this paticular NJ Track.. When he gets blasted by a 13 Second Mustang...he'll be driving to the pits via the shame lane. Why even bother going to the drag strip, if you're not going to even try to cut a good light...damn.
He's in a high tech beast with launch control, AWD, and PDK, so what's to learn about his car...other than hold the heck on!!! He can show the NJ Mustangs and other goobers that a 997TT is no slouch or he can sit at the light and be completely comfortable and leave when his nerves settle or just take a nap...ZZZZZZZZ. He stated he wanted pointers on drag racing...not how to be embarrassed at the strip. Disappointed in your post. JB
Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Yea, his first run I concur, but afterwards you're gonna make this guy in his Awesome Porsche be the laughing stock of the evening, especially at this paticular NJ Track.. When he gets blasted by a 13 Second Mustang...he'll be driving to the pits via the shame lane. Why even bother going to the drag strip, if you're not going to even try to cut a good light...damn.
He's in a high tech beast with launch control, AWD, and PDK, so what's to learn about his car...other than hold the heck on!!! He can show the NJ Mustangs and other goobers that a 997TT is no slouch or he can sit at the light and be completely comfortable and leave when his nerves settle or just take a nap...ZZZZZZZZ. He stated he wanted pointers on drag racing...not how to be embarrassed at the strip. Disappointed in your post. JB
100% agree!!! These are fantastically built cars that can excel in multiple tasks... especially drag racing. In my opinion, if you're gonna go "race" try your best to be representative of this solidly built platform and TRY to win. You learn by testing your limits, and feel the car out. I'm not saying drive dangerously, but I saying this car can impress if you let it do it's thing!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:27 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

Sorry I should have clarified. I didn't mean to say drag racing as in actual competition lol.
It was my first time and I wanted some tips that's all.

So I made only 1 pass since apparently they didnt rent out Snell helmets... like I thought.. had to borrow from a friend which was a bike helmet hehe.

I left everything stock 100% and ran as is. I even left psm traction on and used launch control. Yeah my reaction wasnt the best nor was my 1.9 60 foot.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Nice job!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

Nice job!!!
Thank you! I'm gonna work on getting better as a driver haha and everything. Even on stock tires.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwu
Sorry I should have clarified. I didn't mean to say drag racing as in actual competition lol.
It was my first time and I wanted some tips that's all.

So I made only 1 pass since apparently they didnt rent out Snell helmets... like I thought.. had to borrow from a friend which was a bike helmet hehe.

I left everything stock 100% and ran as is. I even left psm traction on and used launch control. Yeah my reaction wasnt the best nor was my 1.9 60 foot.

11.2@125mph bone stock, first time at the strip? That's what I'd call a darn good start. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:00 PM
johnbelk
Pro

[/QUOTE]

DUDE!!! 11.2 that's fricking awesome!!!! Do you know how much money you'd have to dump into a new Camaro or Mustang to run low 11s??? Wait until the temps are in the low 40'...
As I said earlier in this post, your reaction and 60ft time will improve with time... Most Drag Racers and Gun Slingers win based on the first half second...or less. Repeat, repeat, repeat your successful staging techniques.

Keep us posted...

Way to Represent!!!
JB
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnbelk

DUDE!!! 11.2 that's fricking awesome!!!! Do you know how much money you'd have to dump into a new Camaro or Mustang to run low 11s??? Wait until the temps are in the low 40'...
As I said earlier in this post, your reaction and 60ft time will improve with time... Most Drag Racers and Gun Slingers win based on the first half second...or less. Repeat, repeat, repeat your successful staging techniques.

Keep us posted...

Way to Represent!!!
JB
Haha thanks! I'm 100% stock 997.2 Turbo S. Did the car magazines that originally got 10.8 seconds at 128 mph had perfect launches and conditions?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:35 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Haha thanks! I'm 100% stock 997.2 Turbo S. Did the car magazines that originally got 10.8 seconds at 128 mph had perfect launches and conditions?
I'm running a Cobb tune and Europipe and I've bested a 10.98 @ 129 mph in the hot Texas air. I recently went to an 1/8th mile track and ran an 6.76 @ 104.70 mph with a 1.55 60' time. That translates in a 10.65 @ 130 plus mph, So I KNOW there's more in my car when the weather gets better. I run a MPSS tire too, so don't get too caught up in tires and traction right now. Just try to work on consistency and most importantly, have fun!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Ahhhhhh....the alusive car magazine 0-60, Quarter Mile and Top Speed reports. Most are complete Bull Sh%$, as to achive those times the reporters who "do not own" these car...destroy clutches, tires and anything else after many runs to get those times. Auto Manufacturers have been caught slipping in cars that have been "pumped up." Then there's the "altitude" corrected times... There are some mags that are more honest than others, but I never give these mags much credit.
Way too many times I've seen new Corvette Owners with their new Supercharged Monsters run in the high 12s, then whine that its really a low 11 second car according to Mag XYZ...something must be wrong with this Vette. NO! You got suckered in the hype.
Mags love to report low times, because it's sells their product...so do the auto manufacturers.
The more you go to the track, the more you'll see it...hand them a tissue when the crying starts.
You have a Genuine Low 11 Second Street 100% Stock Car...with A/C and stereo. WOW!!!
JB

Quick Reply: Any dragstrip racing tips/advice?