Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:59 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I changed the oil a couple weeks ago before heading into hibernation soon and received the Blackstone report today.
The report is great and detergents are high since this was changed with fairly low mileage.
I still don't like how low the viscosity is at temp especially since I track the car so I switched up to 50% Mobil 1 0W/40 - 50% Mobil 1 5W/50 to use up what was left of the 0W/40. I'll go full 5W/50 next year and research into the +/- of switching from Mobil to another oil manufacturer.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:36 AM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound quality of your Autobahn track video is amazing. Where are you placing the microphone? and which microphone are you using?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:51 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bml376
Sound quality of your Autobahn track video is amazing. Where are you placing the microphone? and which microphone are you using?
Thanks!
I'm using this microphone, an extension cable and a dead cat (be sure to get an extension cable meant for microphones and video cameras.. standard headphone extension cable wont work.. ask me how I know):
Olympus ME-51S

I ran the cable out the driver's side window down the side of the car and into the engine bay. The mic sits just above the left hand side Engine mount here:

I'm assuming we're hearing mostly intake and belt noise which gives it a cool mechanical sound as opposed to being near the exhaust tip.

Protip:
When running cables over paint first put down painter's or detailer's tape over the paint where you'll run the cable. Then run the cable and put another strip of tape over the cable sandwiching the cable between the tape. This will prevent chaffing and scraping of the cable on your paint from wind and road vibrations. Works every time!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:16 PM
bml376
Instructor

Thanks for the info regarding the mic and mic placement!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I place one mic next to the license plate (high dynamic range pro lavalier) and another behind the passenger seat in the wind null. I then mix these down afterwards. I find if there is no other soundtrack (like the music in the referenced video), it helps a lot to have some ambient noise/sound. Too much exhaust or engine noise makes things sound a bit artificial. With a soundtrack behind it, the more engine/mechanical, the better.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:42 AM
bml376
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions on the mic placement. Here is one of my recent videos, where the mic was placed behind the rear bumper near. It was clipped right behind the driver side exhaust tip. Car is a 997.2 with PSE on and Sharkwerks center muffler bypass.

I was disappointed in the sound and in this video and much prefer the sound from nwGTS' video.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:51 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Here is a video using a mic on the rear bumper and another in the cabin behind the drivers seat. I mixed the two for the most representative sound. Granted, bumping the gain on the rear bumper mic is way more racy sounding, but not realistic. Lots of traffic and long video - last few laps from the last run of the weekend - forward to about 18:45 for some open track. NHMS is quite turny, so not many WOT parts.

Last edited by dbbarron; 11-08-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

^^^ Interesting. Still a lot of wind noise from one of those mics. I'll continue to use the mic in the engine bay and then maybe mix a mic with one placed elsewhere in the cabin away from direct wind and with a dead cat.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:56 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

The wind noise is all from the ambient mic behind the passenger seat. I have the level adjusted to what I feel is 'just enough' to make it sound authentic in cabin. Again, if I run almost all plate mic with some compression it is a wicked racy sound, but unrealistic. Would sound great against a soundtrack.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Tires pumped to 50 PSI
Battery tender plugged in
Full tank with fuel stabilizer added
Covered until April
Wept

Name:  photo814.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  817.6 KB
Old 12-09-2016, 02:21 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I'm there with you. See ya GTS April 1.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:08 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't not drive my GTS that long.....kudos to you both.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (11-22-2021)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:22 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Threads like this (and many of nwGTS's others) make me want to subscribe to his life.

Expecting a particularly dry April this year, might be the C2S back a month early

First order of business: install Eibach springs. Question: for street purposes, are the adjustable LCA's and rear toe links required?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:41 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Threads like this (and many of nwGTS's others) make me want to subscribe to his life.

Expecting a particularly dry April this year, might be the C2S back a month early

First order of business: install Eibach springs. Question: for street purposes, are the adjustable LCA's and rear toe links required?
Thanks for the compliment but I beg you to raise your standards. Lol.

If just lowering on Eibachs you do not need adjustable LCAs for street driving. Many have gotten away with keeping rear toe in spec without the adjustable rear toe links but some have needed them when lowering. With Eibachs I think you will be fine without them. Full disclosure, my opinion on rear toe link requirements was different a year ago but I've seen enough cars now that I can say you probably don't need them with Eibachs or Techarts. H&R springs willnlower more and would need adjustable rear toe.

Youll still need an alignment but should be good with just the springs.

Cheers.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Thanks for the compliment but I beg you to raise your standards. Lol.

If just lowering on Eibachs you do not need adjustable LCAs for street driving. Many have gotten away with keeping rear toe in spec without the adjustable rear toe links but some have needed them when lowering. With Eibachs I think you will be fine without them. Full disclosure, my opinion on rear toe link requirements was different a year ago but I've seen enough cars now that I can say you probably don't need them with Eibachs or Techarts. H&R springs willnlower more and would need adjustable rear toe.

Youll still need an alignment but should be good with just the springs.

Cheers.

Figure I'll also swap out the compensating plates for the shorter ones for a subtle increase in drop:
Front: 996 343 511 00 (3mm from 6 mm)
Rear: 996 333 511 02 (0.5mm from 4mm)

I'm making the assumption that my car has the taller plates based on it being a Canadian (US spec) car... does that make sense? Or will it already have the shorter plates as it's an S?

Leaning towards installing the toe links while I'm in there; they're more reasonably priced than the LCA's.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT