996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coffins and Wishbones

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016 | 12:51 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Default Coffins and Wishbones

I have searched but cannot find a thread on rear suspension overhaul or specifically rear wishbones and coffin arm replacement. I was half through tracking the car after new tyres and the tech found the rear adjusters were seized solid and the rubber was twisting if he used force. I wondered how hard it was to over haul the rear track control arms. This is still a 98 C2. Anyone done a thread on this or got any word or pictures.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2016 | 01:03 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Not sure if over haul is the right term. Remove and replace may be better understood I am not looking to re bush - just replace!
Old 10-10-2016 | 01:29 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

It's all relatively easy. When you say rear adjusters, what are you referring to? What problem are you trying to address?

I would upgrade the components in this order. As you go down the list it becomes less relevant which one to do first:

1. Track Tires Front and Rear (NT01 or equivalent)
2. Rear Toe Link (#13) - This one is essential to get a decent track alignment, especially if the car is lowered.
2. Coilovers (front and rear of course)
3. Sway Bars
4. Adjustable Upper control arms (#8)
5. GT3 Lower Control arm (#21)
6. Torque arm - #17 (though this will get you the least bang in the rear, but adjustables on the front have value).
Old 10-10-2016 | 01:34 PM
ditto
Racer

I replaced some of my rear suspension. Pelican had a good description for how to. All the bushes on the parts I used are molded in, if that is part of your question.
Old 10-10-2016 | 02:18 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Thanks Slakker - The tyre (tire) place was trying set up the tracking and the rear bolts - I think it was part 22 (but could have been 15) in your diagram - were seized in the bush and it was not adjusting / not possible to adjust, so it will be camber adjustment they were trying to do I assume. If I can swap the bits myself they will happily finish off the tracking and charge me once. If I get the indy to do it It will be tracked by the Indy and I will have to pay for what was done at the tyre shop so double whammy - it looks straightforward if I can get the bolts out!
Old 10-10-2016 | 02:19 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Originally Posted by ditto
I replaced some of my rear suspension. Pelican had a good description for how to. All the bushes on the parts I used are molded in, if that is part of your question.
I will have a look on the Pelican and see if it helps Thanks. Normally about 1000 vids on you tube - not one I can find on this subject!
Old 10-10-2016 | 02:54 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oil_Slickrick
Thanks Slakker - The tyre (tire) place was trying set up the tracking and the rear bolts - I think it was part 22 (but could have been 15) in your diagram - were seized in the bush and it was not adjusting / not possible to adjust, so it will be camber adjustment they were trying to do I assume. If I can swap the bits myself they will happily finish off the tracking and charge me once. If I get the indy to do it It will be tracked by the Indy and I will have to pay for what was done at the tyre shop so double whammy - it looks straightforward if I can get the bolts out!

#15 is an eccentric bolt with a groove in it and a washer with a point that rides in the groove. You have to loosen from the nut side. I bet he tried to loosen the bolt and bound it up with the washer. You will need to get the nut loose first and then work to get the washer lined back up.

I bet when you get it off you will find where the "tooth" in the picture below is digging a channel through the threads on the bolt instead of riding in the slot.

Old 10-10-2016 | 03:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ditto
Originally Posted by Oil_Slickrick
I will have a look on the Pelican and see if it helps Thanks. Normally about 1000 vids on you tube - not one I can find on this subject!
Should have that here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...htm#suspension.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-11-2016 | 05:03 AM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Can I assume the principal of the rear set up is the same as the front without the steering. Strip down follows the same process.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Coffins and Wishbones