Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP Lightning: Oct 7-8 Any instructors here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,149 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by por29
Thumbs up for the Fairfield. If you possibly can, do both days. If you don't, you'll be wishing you did.
Lightning has a great flow. As with any track it has it's nuances. I'll guess that Henry, the track chair, schedules a track walk. Walking a track is very informational. I'm also in favor of a classroom for the Blue and White drivers. Green drivers have a class each morning before going on track. I can personally vouch for the quality of instruction given by each Metro Instructor. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Pcargirl31
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do we sign up? Didn't see in motorsportsreg.com
Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcargirl31
Where do we sign up? Didn't see in motorsportsreg.com
Clubregistration.net
Old 09-06-2016, 09:01 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

I am going to be leaving home about 7am, arriving millville about 11:30 on Friday.

Since I have never been there, I would like to come see the track and facilities, mostly so I don't have to get behind any schedule for Saturday.

Any one know if tech could be done on Friday for Saturday runs.

Are there any dinner plans for Friday?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 AM
jlanka
Drifting

They usually have a tech session after the track goes cold.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:38 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Is it difficult to find where I am supposed to go into facility and area where DE will be?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 AM
jlanka
Drifting

When you go in the main gate and past the entry booth, make a left at the T. Then look for the bridge (pretty much stay right, you'll pass some condos). Go over the bridge and head for the garage.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:12 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Thank you
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff, I think he's talking about the Lightning DE event so. After the main booths you make a right. Follow the road to the circuit. It's all easy.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:20 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by por29
Jeff, I think he's talking about the Lightning DE event so. After the main booths you make a right. Follow the road to the circuit. It's all easy.
oh, oops you're correct. Sorry about the mixup there.

Make a right after the entry booths when you get to the T. Then just follow it all the way around to the end.

Nice catch Bill.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I looked for you today but didn't see you. Did you make it down?

Jeff
Old 10-08-2016, 11:33 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
I looked for you today but didn't see you. Did you make it down?

Jeff
Hello Jeff

On Thursday afternoon, after emailing with my instructor, i asked to change my one day to Friday, instead of Saturday. Metro PCA said no problem, so I did.

Wow, I hit the Philadelphia traffic at 4:30, I now know why they make PDK cars, driving a 996 with LWFW in that traffic was

I looked for a white GT3, but the ones I saw were painted with accents/stripes, I did not see yours on Friday.

I parked in first row closest to the fence all the way at the end, that where my instructor was parked also.

The NJMP is really an outstanding facility. Even the lawn was groomed perfect.

People were very nice, and the event was well organized. The fella that did the green group classroom was really good, I think his last name was Rudtger.

This was only my second track and second DE, there is a lot of difference for a novice between Watkins Glen and NJMP Lightening.

It seemed to me the MPH was slower at Lightening, but yet the track seemed faster, if that makes any sense.

Before the event I had watched a bunch of videos from Lightening. One blind apex, with the rise, I think it is turn 5, had me somewhat concerned.

Well, 3rd or 4th lap of first session, the car started to side out from me, but caught it, so did not even leave pavement.

I purchased a Roadhawk camera from Matt R., I have all the videos, but cannot figure out to upload to Youtube.

I did not recognize any cars from the pictures here on rennlist.

I was surprised how many times the Meat Hook had to go out and pick-up a car.

David
Old 10-09-2016, 12:29 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Hello Jeff

On Thursday afternoon, after emailing with my instructor, i asked to change my one day to Friday, instead of Saturday. Metro PCA said no problem, so I did.

Wow, I hit the Philadelphia traffic at 4:30, I now know why they make PDK cars, driving a 996 with LWFW in that traffic was

I looked for a white GT3, but the ones I saw were painted with accents/stripes, I did not see yours on Friday.

I parked in first row closest to the fence all the way at the end, that where my instructor was parked also.

The NJMP is really an outstanding facility. Even the lawn was groomed perfect.

People were very nice, and the event was well organized. The fella that did the green group classroom was really good, I think his last name was Rudtger.

This was only my second track and second DE, there is a lot of difference for a novice between Watkins Glen and NJMP Lightening.

It seemed to me the MPH was slower at Lightening, but yet the track seemed faster, if that makes any sense.

Before the event I had watched a bunch of videos from Lightening. One blind apex, with the rise, I think it is turn 5, had me somewhat concerned.

Well, 3rd or 4th lap of first session, the car started to side out from me, but caught it, so did not even leave pavement.

I purchased a Roadhawk camera from Matt R., I have all the videos, but cannot figure out to upload to Youtube.

I did not recognize any cars from the pictures here on rennlist.

I was surprised how many times the Meat Hook had to go out and pick-up a car.

David

Oh, I didn't realize you had switched to Friday, I would have looked for you then. Oh well, next time. Who was your instructor? I know some of the guys that were parked down there.

I don't track the GT3 any more, I only track my spec boxster number 988 (gray).

Funny you mention turn 5, I had on off there Friday morning. Learned a lot from it, among them: Turn 5 gets unweighted similar to the uphill at LRP. You need to straighten the wheel a bit when that happens. Also you need to really grab the apex curbing there, it helps a lot. And you need to get to the left earlier on turn in so you have less of a turn to make toward the apex. You can't really see the apex at turn in, so I was looking at the grass. You do however have a lot of grip on the way up the hill due to the compression.

Anyway, here is the video of my off:

And here is my best lap Sat afternoon (1:22.3) which I was very happy with as my goal for the 2 days was to get under 1:25

Old 10-09-2016, 09:52 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Oh, I didn't realize you had switched to Friday, I would have looked for you then. Oh well, next time. Who was your instructor? I know some of the guys that were parked down there.

I don't track the GT3 any more, I only track my spec boxster number 988 (gray).

Funny you mention turn 5, I had on off there Friday morning. Learned a lot from it, among them: Turn 5 gets unweighted similar to the uphill at LRP. You need to straighten the wheel a bit when that happens. Also you need to really grab the apex curbing there, it helps a lot. And you need to get to the left earlier on turn in so you have less of a turn to make toward the apex. You can't really see the apex at turn in, so I was looking at the grass. You do however have a lot of grip on the way up the hill due to the compression.

Anyway, here is the video of my off:

And here is my best lap Sat afternoon (1:22.3) which I was very happy with as my goal for the 2 days was to get under 1:25

That is exactly what happened to me.
Still trying to figure out how to get my video uploaded.
Your lap looked really fast.

I think I saw your boxster,
I am a long way from that level of driving.

Quick Reply: NJMP Lightning: Oct 7-8 Any instructors here?