Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50k Miles and....surprise!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My rear bumper was damaged sometime ago. Had the car repaired in a Porsche certified shop. Their rates were higher than those who bid to be the insurance companies recommended repair shop. The insurance company of the the other driver was giving me a hard time on the rates. I used the fact that I was entitled to a rental car equivalent to my car, and did not take one. I used this to leverage the payment of the higher rate.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:17 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
My rear bumper was damaged sometime ago. Had the car repaired in a Porsche certified shop. Their rates were higher than those who bid to be the insurance companies recommended repair shop. The insurance company of the the other driver was giving me a hard time on the rates. I used the fact that I was entitled to a rental car equivalent to my car, and did not take one. I used this to leverage the payment of the higher rate.
Careful using the word leverage, you will likely get accused of suggesting fraud like I did.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Careful using the word leverage, you will likely get accused of suggesting fraud like I did.
The difference though is he was entitled to a rental car. He wasn't making anything up.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dock
The difference though is he was entitled to a rental car. He wasn't making anything up.
he was entitled to go to the doctor as well.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

he was entitled to go to the doctor as well.
But not to go to the doctor when not hurt, for the purpose of leverage.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

But not to go to the doctor when not hurt, for the purpose of leverage.
im done trying to explain to you that i didnt suggest he lie or commit fraud. If you dont get it, you dont get it and im fine with that.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

im done trying to explain to you that i didnt suggest he lie or commit fraud. If you dont get it, you dont get it and im fine with that.
I fully understand what you said...

"go to your doctor and start a medical claim. this will give you more negotiating power with the other drivers insurance company"
Old 08-12-2016, 06:10 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

I fully understand what you said...

"go to your doctor and start a medical claim. this will give you more negotiating power with the other drivers insurance company"
like i said you dont get it and im cool with that. we can agree to disagree and move on.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ducnine
Whoa...just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about your car bud. Glad to hear you guys were ok. Hope everything gets worked out.
Thanks man. Yeah it is a little rough to take. Hopefully it will be out hanging around with your turbo soon!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:34 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Mtrboatvr6, I'm not sure if it was posted above but you should ask your insurance company for a value adjustment since the car was in an accident.

Sorry about the damage. That sucks.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Well finally just over two months later this whole process is finally over! Despite my initial thoughts about the other drivers insurance policy, they were extremely helpful, and easy to work with. I was given EVERYTHING I asked for with no questions or fighting. It did take a good amount of time to get it into the shop and get the repairs finished however (good shops generally take time).

The total cost of the repairs were just over $9,000. Bumper was re-sprayed, black bumpers replaced, and all crash structure replaced. A new exhaust was also fitted, as well as a new right tail light due to a cracked clip on the inside. I was able to successfully negotiate an extra $5,000 for the diminished value claim! They did not fight me at all on the DV claim. They came to my office, took some pictures of the car after it was repaired, and asked me what I wanted. They cut me a check 3 days later after it was approved by their management! All of the claims adjusters, and their management were very apologetic, and very quick to answer communications.

Many of you will notice that the exhaust was replaced with a Speedtech 2.5 X-Pipe with 100 cell cats, no mufflers. I can honestly say that John D's reputation for being a true class act did not dissapoint. He was very quick to answer my emails, and get the X-Pipe on the production schedule to meet my repair times. He even took about a 30 min phone call with me to discuss my sound requirements. John was spot on will all of his recommendations. Thanks again John, it was a pleasure!

My hope for this thread was to bring up some helpful discussion about these types of accidents, and what to expect through the process. I hope none of you ever have to go through this with your turbo, but in my case I was able to be made "whole" by the process. Thank you for everyone's helpful responses through this process.

Last but not least, Pics!! Enjoy

Last edited by Mtrboatvr6; 10-08-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:22 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks great! Glad it all worked out
Old 10-09-2016, 12:35 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

So refreshing to hear a good experience with an insurance company. Got hit when stopped in my Boxster 2-1/2 years ago. Still have not heard from the insurance company's adjuster (Hartford). They communicated exclusively with the repair shop and the extent of the repair was equivalent to this one.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:01 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the 5k diminished value aspect work? Do they cut you a check for the loss?
Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Love the happy ending to your unfortunate story. I hope you are enjoying your car again!

Quick Reply: 50k Miles and....surprise!!