Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50k Miles and....surprise!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:59 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Starting a medical claim in the beginning is to protect you in the future in case you need future care. Going to your PCP for a checkup after a car accident seems quite honest to me. I never suggested to commit fraud.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:01 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

If you're not at all hurt...feeling nothing after a couple of days, you're likely fine. I was 21 and in an accident with a semi truck. I thought I just had a stiff/sore neck and it would go away. Signed off for $500 (like an idiot). At 46, I have severe neck problems now. In this case, the accident looks like it was so minor though...nothing like my wreck.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Starting a medical claim in the beginning is to protect you in the future in case you need future care. Going to your PCP for a checkup after a car accident seems quite honest to me. I never suggested to commit fraud.
Crazy that a grown adult can't just admit they misstated something and it was not their intention, instead rewording their entire thought process and building a straw man to dodge responsibility.

It was probably everyone else's misunderstanding when you state "to gain leverage against the insurance company" as the reasoning to get checked out, we should have known you MEANT TO SAY "get a checkup from your doctor to protect yourself in case you need future care due to the incident".

Obviously it was our mistake.

OP, sorry to carry this off topic and glad you are upfront with your desire to be made whole and not take advantage of a crappy situation. I will quit posting in this thread as an attempt to get it back on topic.

Any update on your search for a Porsche approved body shop? Some great info from Macster regarding proper repair.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This does not look bad at all, new bumper maybe and an excuse to get painted bumper warts.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Atrox
Drifting

This does not look bad at all, new bumper maybe and an excuse to get painted bumper warts. The damage was focused to the area that's designed to take impact. This car isn't made of glass.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:04 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Crazy that a grown adult can't just admit they misstated something and it was not their intention, instead rewording their entire thought process and building a straw man to dodge responsibility.

It was probably everyone else's misunderstanding when you state "to gain leverage against the insurance company" as the reasoning to get checked out, we should have known you MEANT TO SAY "get a checkup from your doctor to protect yourself in case you need future care due to the incident".

Obviously it was our mistake.

OP, sorry to carry this off topic and glad you are upfront with your desire to be made whole and not take advantage of a crappy situation. I will quit posting in this thread as an attempt to get it back on topic.

Any update on your search for a Porsche approved body shop? Some great info from Macster regarding proper repair.
Look dude you can carry that BS back Oxford. HAIL STATE!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Well not surprisingly the insurance adjuster came out and offered under a thousand dollars for the repair.... I just chuckled and told him we will see what it ends up being once they take the bumper off. Being fair, he has to go on what it "looks like" to his eye, which from the pictures surely doesnt look like a whole bunch. We will see what they do when we actually get a look at the damage underneath. He said he understood about my interest in a dimished value claim and said to do one. The way he said it, he should have just said "good luck with that". I have a bad feeling this is going to involve some legal action to get sorted out, which is a shame. I hope im wrong.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Well not surprisingly the insurance adjuster came out and offered under a thousand dollars for the repair.... I just chuckled and told him we will see what it ends up being once they take the bumper off. Being fair, he has to go on what it "looks like" to his eye, which from the pictures surely doesnt look like a whole bunch. We will see what they do when we actually get a look at the damage underneath. He said he understood about my interest in a dimished value claim and said to do one. The way he said it, he should have just said "good luck with that". I have a bad feeling this is going to involve some legal action to get sorted out, which is a shame. I hope im wrong.
That s because the car isn't totaled.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
That s because the car isn't totaled.
I will be pleased if that is the outcome. I happen to enjoy this turbo quite a bit.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 AM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Under 1k?! Good lord that is almost an insult. I hit a deer on a front fender of my Cherokee, not much damage at all, other then the fender, some trim pieces and a slight dent in the door (that I initially didn't even see) and it added up to 2.8k already.

I agree with you, these things are always worse when you start to take panels off. Btw a new exhaust should be more than that.

Leon
Old 08-09-2016, 02:51 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar hit in my boxster 6 years ago. The initial estimate was less than $1k. But, once the bumper came off, the cost went up to $1.6k. In my case, the hit was at 5 mph.

I am guessing yours will cost more than $2k since you got hit at a higher speed than I did. Take pictures and save it for your records in case you need to show them to the future buyer.

All this because some idiot was not paying attention. Good luck!!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

His offer isn't offensive at all - it is his job to try to have his company pay as little as possible. That's why you should never take the first offer and get a thorough inspection done - it's like a game, and if you have the time, you'll be made whole. They are counting on you biting on a lowball offer.

If the dealer does their thing and the costs to repair come in at $6k, then that is what the insurance company will have to pay. No need to get offended or upset - just don't settle and insist it gets done right by a Porsche approved facility. The liability is theirs and the leverage is yours.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
His offer isn't offensive at all - it is his job to try to have his company pay as little as possible. That's why you should never take the first offer and get a thorough inspection done - it's like a game, and if you have the time, you'll be made whole. They are counting on you biting on a lowball offer.

If the dealer does their thing and the costs to repair come in at $6k, then that is what the insurance company will have to pay. No need to get offended or upset - just don't settle and insist it gets done right by a Porsche approved facility. The liability is theirs and the leverage is yours.

Just got an estimate from an actual Porsche shop last night and it ended up being $8,400. The damage got into the exhaust so that was $4,600 worth right there for a new one.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

You don't settle up front.

You let the body shop/dealer investigate and offer their estimate.

Even then my experience is as the repair progresses further damage will be found and the cost can go up by in the case of my Turbo by around another 20% to 25% from the body/dealer service department estimate.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Just got an estimate from an actual Porsche shop last night and it ended up being $8,400. The damage got into the exhaust so that was $4,600 worth right there for a new one.
Did the body shop check the car's rear hard points for position?

As an aside, you have to be careful. When I took my Turbo to a shop in Livermore the owner was pretty upset my insurance company was fighting his desire to fix the car to Porsche standards. A problem was the owner received around 40% of his business from this insurance company -- his was a "preferred" shop or something like that -- and was using this 40% as leverage. Fortunately the owner was honest and fought this but could see it was a losing battle. He advised me to "get mad" and yank the car out of his shop and take it to another shop so it would be properly repaired. He even recommended another shop, one that was independent of my insurance company. I did as he suggested and the car was fixed as per Porsche guidelines and the insurance company had to pay.

I get some flack for stressing this but Porsche calls for this check to ensure the car is properly repaired. The wheels have to come off the car then the car is placed on a Celette bench and these hard points checked. If any are out the body/chassis/tub must be pulled to bring these into proper location.

Given the impact to the rear a proper check might require the engine/transmission be removed to do a proper check on the bench.

A shop might have the bench -- if it doesn't you shouldn't use the shop -- but it won't have the gages. Celette doesn't sell the gages but rents these. They are precision items and Celette retains possession of them to ensure they are kept within spec.

Insurance companies balk at this expense but tough you know what.

My answer to any complaints about the the cost is if an insurance company doesn't want to pay to fix my Porsches tell your insured not to run into my Porsches.

Quick Reply: 50k Miles and....surprise!!