Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to port intake mani on 8v n/a?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:58 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Best way to port intake mani on 8v n/a?

I've read about people cutting the intake to gain access but then I wonder about turbulence caused by the seam (from cutting/weld)... what's the best method?
Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
I've read about people cutting the intake to gain access but then I wonder about turbulence caused by the seam (from cutting/weld)... what's the best method?

Grind & Match the ports to the gaskets and get it Extrude Honed..

Then send the head to LR for porting.....

This is not your average cylinder head. Lindsey Racing heads are professionally machined and ported to perfection and then flow tested to prove it, each and every head, guaranteed! If you want the best, you found it.

Our "Flow Guy" has, for almost 40 years, been in the business of flowing cylinder heads and intake manifolds primarily in the drag racing industry. He uses a Super Flow SF600 flow bench for measuring the air flow within the port. His skill and understanding of what makes air do things inside a port was quickly recognized by us. We began working closely with him flow testing on the cylinder head as well as many other components in the air intake system.

He has the latest in flow bench technology which incorporates computerized sensors that measure the velocity at which the air is passing through the port.

Airflow through the cylinder head is the biggest single variable in engine performance. Huge gains in performance can be obtained by precise head work. Some engine builders rely on intuition when it comes to port shape on engines. Flow bench testing while porting will show you that intuition is often a very poor guide. Many "improvements" they make can actually reduce the flow. If every port and valve is not checked and optimized on the flow bench, there is no way to guarantee the engine will be a top performer. Lindsey Racing cylinder heads are top performers. We guarantee our advertised flow numbers on all cylinder heads. Some companies claiming porting and polishing will not. Ever wonder why?

Another FIRST from Lindsey Racing. In our never-ending quest to perfect an already good thing, we have managed to make another break through not available anywhere else. Have you heard about port velocities? In recent years, factory engineers as well as high performance engine builders have started to look at not just the CFM that a head flows but also the speed at which the air is traveling. This is evident in the number of factory cars now being offered with 4 valve cylinder heads. Not only do they flow greater numbers but the port velocities are much higher as well.

R
Old 10-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Per vers
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

it's not that difficult. the weld will be longitudinal.

And after welding.

But next welding project will be straightning the bend after the trottlebody. And maybe shortning the runners.
All this work, just because i am a lazy bastard. Who have not jet finished my ITB project.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Great photos!! Thanks.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

[QUOTE=924srr27l;13653093]Grind & Match the ports to the gaskets and get it Extrude Honed..

Then send the head to LR for porting.....

I'm done with high dollar for the time being. I can weld aluminum & we have a bandsaw at work.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Per vers
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the head your selve. There is a lot of photos on the net. Print out the best. And use common sense, don't go overboard in widening ports.
When you are at it. You can widen the runners about 1,5 mm.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:25 AM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From the picture the casting looks pretty dense. With that said, it would be good to have a junkyard manifold to setup weld parameters and procedures. The last thing you want is to spend a lot of time porting and have to setup on the fly. Best of luck!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:03 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Per vers

But next welding project will be straightning the bend after the throttlebody. And maybe shortning the runners.

I thought that too, and took off the "Swan neck"

Stock and modified 2.5 N/A Comparison

Before Extrude Hone

And After......

Powdered up ready to go, after it's trip to the other side of the world!

Throttle extension

Polished TB & a serviced AFM

R

Quick Reply: Best way to port intake mani on 8v n/a?