Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Track Precision app: Collect "custom" tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:48 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche Track Precision app: Collect "custom" tracks?

Yes, the Porsche Track Precision app is not great currently... primarily due to it's crappy reliability. But I still have hope (especially with now the GT3, GT4 and GT3RS supporting it) that this will improve with software updates.

So I thought it might make sense to build a custom database/download spot for tracks people have created themselves because they weren't part of the built-in map database (e.g. Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, etc). Given that tracks can be exported/imported in the app it might make life easier for some and will allow for better comparison.

Or does anyone know if a collection like that already exists?
If not: If you have a custom track created please attach it to your post in this thread (or send it to me and I'll start a central download repository).
Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No replies?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 AM
cmanquat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea !
Old 09-14-2016, 01:40 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I follow planet-9 forum, so just joined rennlist today to post about this. I tried the app and am frustrated. I have a GT4. When using a custom track (defined in my neighborhood), I can get it to say "REC" but it does not save data. Very frustrating to see so little information on web about this.

I went to Porsche.com > Contact Us and complained today.

Have you ever found a track posted by someone? I have made VIR, but since I have not tested it yet, shouldn't post it.

Last edited by aryork; 09-14-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added VIR blurb
Old 09-15-2016, 03:24 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did record a test track at a big parking lot. It worked pretty well. Just added a FIA track that is not in their database. Will have an opportunity to test it next month.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:59 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Default tpa

Originally Posted by qbix
I did record a test track at a big parking lot. It worked pretty well.
Did your custom track show up with a diagram? See screen shot below - mine do not have a diagram. I am wondering if that is an indication I have done something wrong with the track layout.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:40 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I used the record track this week at WGI and it worked great ony iPhone.
Make sure you use latest version of app.

Just click start when passing start finish and next time around it will start recording automatically.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I used the record track this week at WGI and it worked great ony iPhone.
Do you see the outline of WGI course on the Track Management page? I definitely have the latest app version.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Do you see the outline of WGI course on the Track Management page? I definitely have the latest app version.
The diagram will show up after you have completed a logged session of the circuit. If you edit the segments afterward it will also remove the icon outline view of the track until it is run again.

This was essentially the feedback I received from someone who identified themselves as a P employee after reporting this as one of the bugs experienced. If desired I could go back and dig up the exact quote from their e-mail.

I have created WGI and VIR-Full maps along with transferred for another user to import and it worked for him to log a session.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:53 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

ARYORK, did you ever get a chance to test your VIR track. I have a PCA event their in March, and would like to set things up as best as possible. Would you mind posting or sharing your map? We are doing the full course.

thanks
Old 02-12-2017, 01:08 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mlkissel1
ARYORK, did you ever get a chance to test your VIR track. I have a PCA event their in March, and would like to set things up as best as possible. Would you mind posting or sharing your map? We are doing the full course.
Great news - there is an updated version that has VIR as a pre-selectable track! I am doing the THSCC HPDE in two weeks and will use it then. I will try to remember to post the results. Have not tried it anywhere yet, but might try the new version on my custom "neighborhood track." I am hopeful it will work as advertised! I was seriously considering a smarty cam and AIM data acquisition unit, but will try the app and see how it works. I will also be at the March PCA DE!
Old 02-12-2017, 01:10 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

sweeeeeeet. Thanks and I will look for you in March. Ill be in a dark blue GT3 and wife in a white Cayman GTS.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Wow - your wife in a CGTS?! If my wife showed any interest whatsoever, I'd get her a car in a split second. At the THSCC DE, they will allow non DE participants to ride with instructors, so my plan is to do that with her. I have one of the rooms above the garages for Fri and Sat night and will try to get her up there Friday night. Don't have a room for March yet, but need to get one. I'm in Raleigh
Allen
Old 02-12-2017, 01:39 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

last DE we did at VIR, we stayed at the Lodge, it was heaven. Late to the show this year, so all was full on the track. Event sponsor said most stay at the Holiday inn in Danville. Booked their. My wife rode with an instructor and had a blast. Good fun. Feel free to PM me at 443.822.8503 if you have questions about the VIR event. Did update app and found VIR! Hope it works!!! See you their. Mark & Laura
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 PM
aap1
AutoX

i am also very unhappy with the porsche app and i am back to harrys laptimer with extrenel gps sensor and obd2 dongle.
it works great!!!
and the price is quiet nothing.

Quick Reply: Porsche Track Precision app: Collect "custom" tracks?