Sponsored by:

Should i trade my 997 for Macan GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ksozay
Had same dilemma. Fortunate enough to be able to keep the 997 and get the wife a Macan GTS for the baby mobile.

The Macan is not a 997. The Macan IS a Porsche. Probably the best all-around SUV I've driven for OUR needs. Traded in our Cayenne GTS on the Macan GTS and love it! Drive one, you'll likely understand.

Best of luck!

KS
Wait, what? You traded your Cayenne GTS (what year?) for the Macan GTS? The Macan GTS is better?

Do you do any towing?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTIN SHARRY
I think you will regret it and will soon be purchasing another 911. They're only rear facing for a short while. I have your same car and take all three of my kids with me any chance I get and they love it. Something special about the 997 that isn't present in the suv's despite carrying the same badge. FWIW, my 2 year old (almost 3) sits in a booster seat in the back beside his 5 year old brother, and their sister rides up front.
For how big a kid are the rear seats usable? I picked up an E92 M3, primarily for the usable rear seat (it fits a six footer comfortably). I'm in the sports car AND SUV camp, btw, but traded my vette for something w a rear seat.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I'm with some others here and don't really get the point of the Macan sized vehicle. I sat in one at the Miami auto show and for what it's supposed to be, the back seat is too small and it doesn't have much cargo capacity - it really doesn't offer much more space than a 997. If you need more space, the Cayenne is the right size. We downsized our SUV from an Infiniti QX56 to a Cayenne Turbo S and it's the right size for our family of 4 with kids that are 9 and 12. Have the roof crossbars stored in the Yakima Skybox and both can be installed in about 15 minutes for the longer family vacations.

No way I'd trade the 997 on any suv, even one as fast and great handling as our CTTS. With a 2 year old you're almost to the point where they can ride in a forward facing booster in the rear seat. Also, isn't 2006 the first year of the weight sensor for passenger airbag - if so, and rear facing seat can go in the front seat. If it wasn't in 2006, I actually have a brand new kit for the 997 I bought and never installed to manually deactivate the passenger side airbag with a key from the passenger side dash end cap. If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:47 AM
lege77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your input. I probably should have shared that I already have a second vehicle for the kid and dog. It's a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My thought was, I could trade both the 997 and the Jeep and my monthly payments stay the same. The Macan seems like a mash-up of utility and sports car...which happens to be exactly what I would be trading. I realize it wouldn't be great at either though and that is where I struggle with the idea of the move.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by lege77
I already have a second vehicle for the kid and dog.
This conversation is over.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS

true indeed. if there is already another car but youre still thinking of trading the 911 on a CUV... maybe ya just dont want a sports car.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you all for your input. I probably should have shared that I already have a second vehicle for the kid and dog. It's a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My thought was, I could trade both the 997 and the Jeep and my monthly payments stay the same. The Macan seems like a mash-up of utility and sports car...which happens to be exactly what I would be trading. I realize it wouldn't be great at either though and that is where I struggle with the idea of the move.
Originally Posted by nwGTS
Originally Posted by Fined

true indeed. if there is already another car but youre still thinking of trading the 911 on a CUV... maybe ya just dont want a sports car.
These two guys speaketh the truth, haha!

Seriously though, everyone is different, but in my opinion you already have the ideal scenario. A sports car and a SUV/family hauler. Trying to combine both of those in to one "do it all" vehicle is going to result in you owning a single car that is a total compromise all the way around. If financially this is a necessary move, then there is no arguing with that. Do what is financially in your budget. But why in the world would you get a vehicle that is neither as good at being a sports car as your 911 nor as good at being a family hauler/utility vehicle as your Jeep?? What would be the point in that, other than saving money...and in your scenario it doesn't sound like it would even save you any money.

So to paraphrase: Don't do it.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This whole series of posts should be re-labelled "The Emily Litella Thread".
Old 09-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly enough my son is two and we will be putting him in the car this weekend for the 1st time. Im actually looking for kids sized leather aviator helmet to put on him as a joke/fun

(My two daughters, under 8 love the car).
Old 09-07-2016, 03:07 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

What a twist?!?
T
Old 09-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My father has a Macan S, I take it out occasionally, it's a very nice handling SUV but it's no sports car. If that is what you want, than go for it.

Quick Reply: Should i trade my 997 for Macan GTS?