Sponsored by:

Couple of new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:48 AM
snurf
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of new owner questions

I got a 997.2 TTS cab recently and it's a great car. I have a couple of questions though:
- when I accelerate and let off or shift up around 3-4K rpm there is sometimes a gentle metal scratching sound coming from the back. Usually less than half a second. It's not all the time and not easy to reproduce, but if it's a transmission or engine issue I'd like to take care of it before CPO runs out. Normal? Is it the turbo spooling down or something like that?
- I can't figure out how to show the boost pressure gauge. What's the secret?
- Passenger seat sometimes triggers the check seat adjustment/airbag warning. I've checked under the seat and it's clear. It's very intermittent. Take to dealer? Some other secret?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by snurf
I got a 997.2 TTS cab recently and it's a great car. I have a couple of questions though:
- when I accelerate and let off or shift up around 3-4K rpm there is sometimes a gentle metal scratching sound coming from the back. Usually less than half a second. It's not all the time and not easy to reproduce, but if it's a transmission or engine issue I'd like to take care of it before CPO runs out. Normal? Is it the turbo spooling down or something like that?
- Passenger seat sometimes triggers the check seat adjustment/airbag warning. I've checked under the seat and it's clear. It's very intermittent. Take to dealer? Some other secret?
The airbag light is on in my Boxster. Based on what I was told I've sent the instrument cluster out twice now and the last time it came back with a report that no problem found and the suggestion the problem is probably in the wiring. A new airbag controller was tried and didn't help. (And fortunately I didn't have to buy this as the controller wasn't mated to the car.) The tech managed to borrow a cluster from another car -- with the other car owner's permission -- and its air bag light remained dark (which is one reason why the cluster was sent out twice to be repaired).

I'm not looking forward to having the wiring problem traced down.

My best advice is to know how to reproduce the behavior/noise and take the car in. You paid for a CPO. Use it.

If the 997 Turbo is like my 996 Turbo the boost can be called up using the OBC stalk. I think I move the stalk up or down to cycle through boost, outside temperature, range in miles to empty, and something else.

Now you might have to work your way to the menu to select boost and remove something else though. Been too long ago I can't recall but I kind of remember playing with that shortly after I got the car and then have never touched it since. I'd have to refer to the owners manual I think to remember how to do this.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:56 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t?
I bought a 12 TTS recently...I've not heard the noise you're referring to, nor have an issue with the passenger seat. I'd recommend using your CPO and take it to the dealership. At least to have it documented if they can't duplicate it.
The Boost Pressure Indicator can be selected by using the lower left stalk and while observing the display on the lower portion of the tachometer, either press downward or upward (not forward or towards you) to cycle through, Navigation, Tire Pressure, Fuel Milage, etc.. until you see a "0" ....BINGO that's it!!!
Hope this helps. "LugNut"

Last edited by johnbelk; 09-05-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbos shouldn't be making any "metal scratching" sounds. If I had to guess, then I would guess it is transmission/clutch related. Probably a worn out clutch not completely disengaging, or maybe something more insidious inside the transmission.

Quick Reply: Couple of new owner questions