Sponsored by:

Scawt's 996 Turbo Track Toy Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I get what you are saying but I am hoping for a close up photo to be 100% sure.
Yep, no stiffening but not needed now

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Nice list! Have you looked into a Cup style rear wing for the car? Makes a tremendous difference. Since you have MoTec, I would use the Motec DHB fuel controller to run your fuel pump on an on demand basis. Its far superior to the factory system with built in safeties and you can bypass the OEM relay all together. Very simple hook up and relatively cheap at around $600 if I recall. Really works well, drastically reduces fuel temperatures and allows you to up the fuel flow with a larger pump for the new turbos. I was running out of fuel on my K16s with the OEM pump and injectors. The pump was OK in a straight line but would be insufficient in high G corners due to the constraint of the OEM fuel system. Pump output would also decrease once fuel got hot which made the problem worse. If you don't have a way to control it, fuel heating becomes an issue on these cars once the fuel cooler is removed.
Thanks! I wasn't planning on the cup wing this year but couldn't pass on your deal.

Regarding the fuel, I told Rothsport/Markski to keep it below 500whp per your previous posts. I'm still on stock rods and need to keep the torque low anyways until I go the 3.8 route in a year or two. The fuel upgrades will definitely be apparent then. In the meantime, I'll check out the MoTec fuel controller.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Great build. Surprised you didn't go carbon doors as you've got the cage to support them.

Will be following this as it progresses. Reminds me of Dez's car.
Thanks! Cup doors are on the list but at the very end since I just modified the stock doors and the cup doors are costly to replace.

On a side note, I made custom door pulls and working on handles after the car comes back from Rothsport.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 PM
oldturd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to see this car run in person! wow.. when are you back at the ridge =)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
Yep, no stiffening but not needed now

Thanks! I wasn't planning on the cup wing this year but couldn't pass on your deal.

Regarding the fuel, I told Rothsport/Markski to keep it below 500whp per your previous posts. I'm still on stock rods and need to keep the torque low anyways until I go the 3.8 route in a year or two. The fuel upgrades will definitely be apparent then. In the meantime, I'll check out the MoTec fuel controller.

Thanks! Cup doors are on the list but at the very end since I just modified the stock doors and the cup doors are costly to replace.

On a side note, I made custom door pulls and working on handles after the car comes back from Rothsport.

Those doors look great Scott! Very clean. We completely gutted the doors on our Spec Boxster and they are very light. I doubt much could be saved with the Cup doors and they are big money.

This is the link below to the DHB controller. We tie it to rpm, boost, and engine load and it works great.

http://www.motec.com/dhb/dhboverview/

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-21-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking build.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

Let me know how it turns out putting in that electric motorsport PS pump. I've been researching that project myself and can't decide if that is something I want to tackle or not...
Old 08-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW nice build!

-Jason
Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Scott.
Pro

Thanks guys! The next part of the build is going to take a while so I'll probably be out for the rest of the year. Paint shop and Rothsport are currently backed up for a while so the 996 is hanging out with some old friends

The good news is that the parts pile keeps growing!

Getty decklid, carbon wing and endplates (Thanks Powdrhound!)

997GT3 rear ducting and undertrays

Old 10-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Scott.
Pro

We have progress..

Motor and trans was pulled a couple weeks ago at Rothsport

I was bored during the waiting period, so I did some porting at home and had the turbo pieces coated in black by a local ceramic coating company.

While the motor is out; it was rolled over to the paint shop for the Getty decklid to be painted, final coats on the roof and the new Joe Toth spiltter. Can't wait for the cup wing to go on top!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM
bbroetsky
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Where can I source a sunroof delete from and around what is the cost. Not including paint or install.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Scott.
Pro

It's actually pretty cheap for the GT3/2 steel roof from the factory and I just ordered it from my local dealer for ~$500 (99650350100GRV). You'll also need the expensive headliner but I don't need it for a track car.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
bbroetsky
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
It's actually pretty cheap for the GT3/2 steel roof from the factory and I just ordered it from my local dealer for ~$500 (99650350100GRV). You'll also need the expensive headliner but I don't need it for a track car.
So obviously a carbon panel would be more for looks?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:04 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

No, a carbon roof can be better than a steel roof. But generally not in a street car and without a full cage. Amongst other things, carbon splinters and can be dangerous in an accident.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, amazing build!

A great thread I have totally missed because only browsing the GT3 forum and Racing forums here.

Nice to see more people getting on with the 996TT track crack pipe....

Could you tell about the weight savings with the dash? Obviously with Motec etc difficult to say.

One thing you might know well but wanted juts to point out, you will have soon issues with the gearbox (aka. the 3rd gear, the stock 3rd gear just can't take the beating with your torque, maybe it will handle one season, but be prepared for update! One tip here, after doing basic rebuilds for my box (because of 3rd gear) for too many times, I accidentally found a nice cheap new 997TT box, and am very happy - never hear 997TT folks talking about 3rd gear problems and the shorter gearing of 997TT box compensates for my larger rear tire and now have basically stock gearing). Sure installing the GT2RS stuff there is best, but by buying a 997TT box I was back on track in no time.

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
No, a carbon roof can be better than a steel roof. But generally not in a street car and without a full cage. Amongst other things, carbon splinters and can be dangerous in an accident.
Steve, don't understand why people tell CF roof is dangerous, I was the first guy to come and save my good buddy after he rolled his (similar type of) 996 badly with CF roof, the roof helped there a lot, he only had a roll bar in the car. And please have a look at all the BMW M models that have CF roof directly from the factory.

So, for the roof conversion, I went with Carbon roof, was more expensive (€500 vs. €1500 or something), saved 5+ kilos more vs. steel roof, I wanted the maximum saving with the hassle, and looks so nice!

Scawt, I am almost on the same boat with you, have a street legal 996TT with +200hp and -150kg vs. stock car, car has interior and air con etc so I call it the "poor man's GT2 RS" with a 996 Clubsport full cage. No trailering in Europe, just driving to and from the track.

Good luck with the car!! These cars are expensive to run but SO fast if you consider the total (ehh...initial) investment

Greetings from Europe,

Old 10-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

^^^^^Cool pics!

-Jason
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Very cool pics Kai!