Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best glue to shore up convertible window seam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Best glue to shore up convertible window seam?

Hey all - so, finally took the hard top off the car yesterday. The PPI told me the window was "delaminated" from the top, but I hadn't seen it with my own eyes yet.

Well, I was surprised by two things - first, the top was covered in dog hair. Apparently the previous owner had a mutt who enjoyed riding in the car. Kids had fun removing it with strips of tape.

Second surprise, I imagined the window would be literally falling out of the top. On closer inspection, it appears that while the bond is letting go, it isn't completely torn away yet. It still looks like it wouldn't let water get in too badly.

I've searched other threads but couldn't find any definitive advice. I am thinking I can use some sort of canvas glue/caulk/sealant to fill in the gap.

I don't need it to protect through torrential downpours, but would be nice to not have to replace the top completely, because it is in really good condition. Worst case I guess I could grab my wife's sewing kit...

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to sew the bottom up fairly easily. Took some heavy thread, canvas needles, and a few pliers to push and pull the needles. The sides and top at that time weren't coming off so I'm not sure if there is good access to get to them or not. Some regular clear silicone seems to do the trick to seal it back up.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chiamac
I was able to sew the bottom up fairly easily. Took some heavy thread, canvas needles, and a few pliers to push and pull the needles. The sides and top at that time weren't coming off so I'm not sure if there is good access to get to them or not. Some regular clear silicone seems to do the trick to seal it back up.
Thanks Chiamac - yeah, I saw you made that happen in one of the threads I searched.

I think I will test it's weather resistance integrity first. If the seal isn't broken, hence not allowing water to drip in, I might try a glue base followed by clear silicon layer on top.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodman71

I think I will test it's weather resistance integrity first. If the seal isn't broken, hence not allowing water to drip in, I might try a glue base followed by clear silicon layer on top.

You can try, but that's not likely to work. Plus, before fixing, the bottom of mine went from just a few holes an inch or so big, to the whole thing pretty much coming undone. Took not even a summer of parking it outside at work. So I'd just sew it up, and if it's still together you will have a easier time doing it.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chiamac
You can try, but that's not likely to work. Plus, before fixing, the bottom of mine went from just a few holes an inch or so big, to the whole thing pretty much coming undone. Took not even a summer of parking it outside at work. So I'd just sew it up, and if it's still together you will have a easier time doing it.
This is true.

While we're talking tops - I know most convertibles, general consensus is it's better to store/park them for longer times with the top up.

Is it the same for these? Or is it irrelevant, due to the design of the top/folding system?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I've had three convertible cars and if anything I've learned about these fancy convertible mechanisms is to use them as much as possible. Motors lock up, moving parts get rusty, etc. etc. etc. And so, IMHO, one of the best things you can do is cycle the top open and closed on a regular basis. This is one major reason reason why I prefer NOT to install a hard top during the winter months because the convertible top system in dormant state can lock up thus causing all sorts of issues when you go to use again. Just my 2 cents worth.

Now... regarding glue. I wouldn't recommend it; rather, you best bet is either tackle sewing it properly or.... go with a newer top that has a real glass window. There are many aftermarket versions, but I'd still advise you to get a professional to install it to safe a mountain of frustration.

Cheers!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:16 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Now... regarding glue. I wouldn't recommend it; rather, you best bet is either tackle sewing it properly or.... go with a newer top that has a real glass window. There are many aftermarket versions, but I'd still advise you to get a professional to install it to save a mountain of frustration.

Cheers!
+996
Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

I've had three convertible cars and if anything I've learned about these fancy convertible mechanisms is to use them as much as possible. Motors lock up, moving parts get rusty, etc. etc. etc. And so, IMHO, one of the best things you can do is cycle the top open and closed on a regular basis. This is one major reason reason why I prefer NOT to install a hard top during the winter months because the convertible top system in dormant state can lock up thus causing all sorts of issues when you go to use again. Just my 2 cents worth.

Now... regarding glue. I wouldn't recommend it; rather, you best bet is either tackle sewing it properly or.... go with a newer top that has a real glass window. There are many aftermarket versions, but I'd still advise you to get a professional to install it to safe a mountain of frustration.

Cheers!
Thanks for the input, b3freak. I was very happy when the top worked beautifully after being folded away for 4 months, and will definitely be cycling it more now.

Say you were parking it in the garage for a week - top up or down, or does it matter?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Again, just my humble opinion... Because moisture is a contributing factor to causing all the moving parts to lockup and deteriorate, I'd say, it would be a good idea to at least cycle it through once a week. You'll thank me! Plus, unless you have a durametric, shop manual, proper tools, and a butt load of patience, then I would recommend going to a convertible shop that specializes in Porsche convertibles. It's expensive, but of course, you know we're all are subject to the "porsche tax" where ever we take our cars.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Again, just my humble opinion... Because moisture is a contributing factor to causing all the moving parts to lockup and deteriorate, I'd say, it would be a good idea to at least cycle it through once a week. You'll thank me! Plus, unless you have a durametric, shop manual, proper tools, and a butt load of patience, then I would recommend going to a convertible shop that specializes in Porsche convertibles. It's expensive, but of course, you know we're all are subject to the "porsche tax" where ever we take our cars.
I mean, I can replace my tire stem caps and replace my pumpkins, but no way in hell would I ever try to do a top.

I have a guy who is handy with a needle and thread...
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I used E6800 glue to hold it in place, followed by a proper stitching to make it secure. Use waterproofing spray and avoid the silicone. The silicone just makes a mess.

6 years later, it's still holding up like a champ.

Here is my extensive write up:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...epair-diy.html
Old 08-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I used E6800 glue to hold it in place, followed by a proper stitching to make it secure. Use waterproofing spray and avoid the silicone. The silicone just makes a mess.

6 years later, it's still holding up like a champ.

Here is my extensive write up:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...epair-diy.html
Awesome, thanks frisbee!

Still have any more of that thread?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 PM
lomax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saying I have had great luck with Stormsure.

https://www.amazon.com/Stormsure-Fle...ords=stormsure

But if you can get some stitches in there it sure could not hurt.

Marc
Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

I tried repairing mine a couple of years ago. I glued, clamped, and sewed it. It is a really unpleasant job and unless you're very good at it, it won't look very good and your hands will suffer multiple puncture wounds. My repair got me through the season but I had a new top installed the following year. Even if the top looks good at first glance, it is still a 15+ year old top and is likely due for replacement.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
I tried repairing mine a couple of years ago. I glued, clamped, and sewed it. It is a really unpleasant job and unless you're very good at it, it won't look very good and your hands will suffer multiple puncture wounds. My repair got me through the season but I had a new top installed the following year. Even if the top looks good at first glance, it is still a 15+ year old top and is likely due for replacement.
This is also a good angle to consider, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Best glue to shore up convertible window seam?