Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Ahhhh, just replaced my Braille battery a month ago! Good info for the next time around.

Battery technology has been getting better and better. I have one of those jumper batteries that can crank my truck if the battery dies. It is the size of a remote control for the TV!
How did you like the Braille ? how do you think this compares?
i remember trying to justify a $500 battery for the 10lbs of weight, but almost pulled the trigger and then didnt. the saftey margin when you lose an alternator scared me... but maybe the technology is here now to totally replace the Lead acid AGM batteries. and if under 200bucks, is a no brainer ... almost.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:24 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been very pleased with the NAPA Power Sport Battery - PSB 16CLB from NAPA Auto Parts - $70 - I trickle charge it on the motorcycle setting. Cranks my 2.5L Spec Boxster perfectly. One year, so far. No problem.

http://www.napaonline.com/p/SBB16CLB

Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Jack & others using smallish Shorai or Battery Tender LiFePO4 batteries, how about an update?

I've been using a Shorai on my KTM 950 motorcycle for several years and it has worked out great, but would love to hear how they worked out in 911 applications.

My 94R battery is near end of life, thinking of making the switch.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Two years and four months, no drama.

And while I'd like to say I'm a guy who keeps it on the tender and never leaves the car door open with the dome lamp running the battery down to nothing... well, I'm not that guy. It's been fully discharged a couple of times and has come back fine.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

My car came with a Shorei battery and it's been excellent. We run a few accessories and it's always cranked over.

One time my mechanic completely drained it, but called the vendor who gave him precise instructions on recharging it and it's as good as ever.

Think it's been 3 yrs or so we've had it. That's good for a lightweight. I've had others that did not hold up.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Similar story to my KTM moto Shorai... No drama, neglected, still works great. Just wasn't sure if a more demanding application might kill it prematurely.

Just need to finalize which one to pick up...

Battery Tender BTL35A480C for $229 on Amazon, specs listed as: 480 CCA; Lead-Acid Replacement Range: 26-35(Ah), 3.75 lbs

Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 , $252 on Amazon, specs listed as: 540 CCA, 36Ah PbEq, 5.75 lbs

Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 , $245 on Amazon, specs listed as: 405 CCA, 27Ah PbEq, 4.95 lbs
Old 08-31-2017, 11:45 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Any idea what the distance is between your monitor and camera?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

what about the charging rate concerns. 10amp max that was mentioned is kind of low, and what if the alternator was to die, is there 20amps available for about 20-30min ot keep the car racing.

i use the odyssey now, (480) which is basically a motorcycle battery and it has near 4-500cca as well as about 14Ahr capacity. sounds like the lithiums are 2x that capacity.

how does the higher voltage effect computer electronics?

Mk

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Two years and four months, no drama.

And while I'd like to say I'm a guy who keeps it on the tender and never leaves the car door open with the dome lamp running the battery down to nothing... well, I'm not that guy. It's been fully discharged a couple of times and has come back fine.
Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
My car came with a Shorei battery and it's been excellent. We run a few accessories and it's always cranked over.

One time my mechanic completely drained it, but called the vendor who gave him precise instructions on recharging it and it's as good as ever.

Think it's been 3 yrs or so we've had it. That's good for a lightweight. I've had others that did not hold up.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
what about the charging rate concerns. 10amp max that was mentioned is kind of low
Shorai's specs show a 24A max charging rate for their larger 24, 27, and 36 A/Hr batteries. Much higher than the 10A max charging rate mentioned by Battery Tender for their batteries, though I suspect the higher charging rate is also fine for the BT batteries?

what if the alternator was to die, is there 20amps available for about 20-30min ot keep the car racing.
20 Amps of consumption sounds high, but theoretically a fully charged 36 A/Hr battery would provide 1 amp for 36 hours (2,160 minutes) or 20 amps for 108 minutes. Sounds like plenty of headroom to finish a 20 minute race with failed alternator.

...how does the higher voltage effect computer electronics?
Virtually all digital devices running off '12 volts' are going to use an internal voltage regulator to step down the voltage to a digital friendly 5V and accept anything between 4V-24V as acceptable voltage input, so unlikely you will have any problems in this area.

The biggest issue I see in reading the Shorai documentation is that while they feel a typical battery tender charger is fine for charging, it is not something that should just be left on the battery, as many of us tend to do parking/storing a vehicle with conventional batteries. The Shorai BMS charger, however, CAN be left on the battery for extended periods, so probably just budgeting an extra $68 for a dedicated charger makes sense.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

My battery is less than 10 lbs, costs about $50, and if I kill it, is available at Tractor Supply, Sears, many Walmart...., but it's going on 3 yrs without issue. Yes, it's a tractor battery. My biggest draw by far is the fuel pump.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:53 PM
wellcoached
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
My battery is less than 10 lbs, costs about $50, and if I kill it, is available at Tractor Supply, Sears, many Walmart...., but it's going on 3 yrs without issue. Yes, it's a tractor battery. My biggest draw by far is the fuel pump.
Exactly what is it ?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:13 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

It's this one. Only $31.99. Note the reverse terminals for easy fit in stock location. The hardest part was bending a custom tie down bracket.
Name:  photo217.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  515.0 KBName:  photo859.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  160.1 KB
Old 09-01-2017, 07:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Odd since this is the Spec battery for the Global MX-5 Cup cars that run in ten Battery Tender series.

Originally Posted by smarlow2
Was very interested in this battery until I talked with a Battery Tender rep today when I was getting ready to order one. He said these batteries are not suitable for use in automobiles because the max charging rate is 10 amps, which is obviously much lower than a standard alternator puts out. Here's their product description:

Product Summary

This unique Deltran Battery Tender® 12V Lithium Engine Start Battery is up to 80% lighter than comparably powered lead-acid batteries, making transport a breeze. The 26–35Ah long-life battery delivers 480 CCA and is ideal for use with motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, lawn mowers and generators. Not for use in automobiles. CE and UN 38.3 approved.

Features + Benefits
Top of page

Super lightweight design for exceptional portability
Quad terminal configuration makes it very easy to install, allowing it to be mounted in any direction
Delivers 2000+ deep cycles at 80% depth of discharge
Lithium battery won't accumulate damaging lead sulfate on the plates like a standard lead-acid battery
Delivers up to 5X the life of a comparable lead-acid battery
Designed to operate in 32° to 140°F temperatures
Max. charge rate of 10 Amps
6.49in.L x 3.38in.W x 5.11in.H
Includes heat-resistant foam blocks for custom fitting the battery into an OEM battery box

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'd love to run this battery in my NASA ST3 class BMW.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery