Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Sweet 550 Spyder!!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I left the Werks Reunion about 4:45 pm and headed east on Carmel Valley Road to escape from Monterey traffic using Laureles Grade to Salinas. It only took 43 minutes to go the 1.6 miles past "The Quail" following an older Rolls-Royce. Heading the other way towards Monterey was also gridlock . . . saw two Lamborghini Muiras and several vintage Ferraris idling by in "caterpillar crawl" traffic.
Heavy traffic the whole five hours to get to Novato. After 50 years Porsche has finally made a comfortable air conditioned 911 to sit in traffic.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:26 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife booked a room at the Portola Hotel just a week before Monterey Car Week for Tuesday and Wednesday night. I was shocked that Sotheby's was holding their auction there and the rates were very reasonable despite the late reservation. We were greeted by a group of Ferrari's under wraps which were later previewed. My son and I went to the driving range at Poppy Hills late Tuesday, then played 18 at Laguna Seca for less than any place in Marin the next day. Course was wide open. Russo and Steele preview lot was right next door.

I was always intimidated by Monterey Car Week assuming that it required early reservations and involved heavy traffic and limited access. At least early in the week, you can enjoy all the cars and scenery with relative ease. The Russo and Steele preview was free at certain times and although the Sotheby's preview was $40 but their best cars were in the hotel lobby anybody could check out. Then of course there are all the cars you can imagine driving by or parked in some random lot.

Pics from the Portola Hotel/Sotheby's Preview . . .
Attached Images      
Old 08-25-2016, 01:33 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Pics from the Russo and Steele preview lot

First pic was from Eduardo's only recommendation that we made it to, the Cantina which I believe was by the Quail Lodge that my oldest kid loved because there was over a dozen Lamborghini's parked out front. The outside of the Catina looks just like the inside with a cool outdoor area and sweet indoor bar.
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Monterey Car Week 2016