Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Jack Point Jack Stands - Wow! The best tool I purchase in a long time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 PM
thin_concrete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bal
$1549 for the 16" restyler? That's close to lift money. And what if you don't want the wheels on?
Yeah - I wasn't looking at anything that heavy duty. I was thinking more for oil changes, not brake jobs or suspension changes. I'm also curious if you could use something like that is a flood threat occurred, but that's just paranoia.

I do like the u-shaped device to protect your tires when storing the car for the winter. I'm curious if it's effective or any better than scraps of thick carpet. I have the Sumitomo III and have read they flat spot easily in storage.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:00 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those jack lifts look great. Can I get some thoughts on what tool I should use to jack the car up? I have what you'd optimistically call a 1.5 car garage. I've got about 2 ft of clearance on each side of the car, a little bit more if I play musical vehicles. Pic below.

I think floor jacks are out of the question (I'll still buy one for lowering the engine). I think I'm going to go with a hydraulic bottle jack. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

I want this but will have to wait until I can justify the cost http://ezcarlift.com/index.html
Click on the photo album and then Porsche...you can see how they work.
Currently I have four regular jack stands and I have never felt uncomfortable under the car with those. Those stands look pretty stable but I usually need the car up much higher than those look like they will go.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:32 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Joe... this instead of the ezcar thang....

https://www.eagleequip.com/product/M...HHZhoCQKfw_wcB
Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm not sure if you have the clearance to get getting bottle jacks underneath it. You almost have room for a good low profile floor jack turned at an angle.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:24 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

just make a rising wood base for the jackpoint stands to get more clearance.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:44 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

Something like this?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

I bought my JackPoint jack stands from the manufacturer full price and have never been happier! They are perfect for simple maintenance and, in my opinion, put the car higher in the air than it looks. I was skeptical on height until I used them. Even leaves room to scoot around on a "low-rider" creeper. Wished I would have known about the "log procedure" above prior to purchase...not!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I want this but will have to wait until I can justify the cost http://ezcarlift.com/index.html
Click on the photo album and then Porsche...you can see how they work.
Currently I have four regular jack stands and I have never felt uncomfortable under the car with those. Those stands look pretty stable but I usually need the car up much higher than those look like they will go.
Yeah, I was actually thinking about the ones from Bendpak because you can drive over those. These look like you might have to scoot them in from the side? If so, I think it would be a delicate operation - and I don't really have the space to put in anywhere.. I'd need to keep it under the car in the garage.

DBJoe, that would be ideal, but not in the garage I have now. For me it would be a pain to get the bikes in and out. Not to mention I'd probably ding the door at some point.

Slakker, good call on the clearance. I'll be sure to measure the height of the jack point and compare it to the the height of the jack. I just don't think there's clearance for the floor jack unless there's one where you can turn the handle portion so that it's more parallel with the car. I think the perspective of the picture is making the garage look bigger than it is.

Worse comes to worse, I'm just going to have to use my parents two car garage to do maintenance.It'll suck if I can't finish something in day, which is very likely with my forgetful mind...I'll probably forget something like the crush washer on an oil change or something.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:03 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have had jackpoints for years now. best investment ever.

Quick Reply: Jack Point Jack Stands - Wow! The best tool I purchase in a long time!