Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Coupe Mule Spotted: FML

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Sgt Beavis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an Engineering Mule using a Panamera's body panels. The final product isn't likely to look like that.

I'm not saying it will look good, just saying it won't be that monstrosity.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:08 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by KWP1911
Everyone wants their version of the BMW X6.
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I can't imagine why since no one even wants the original..
This.

My neighbor bought a X6 a year ago. When he was first looking he said he "feel in love with it",.. then he bought it.

Now he hates it. I was surprised it took a full year.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:06 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the BMW 5 GT is the ugliest car on the road, it rivals the Aztec from years ago. I can't imagine Porsche would try to duplicate it.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
It's an Engineering Mule using a Panamera's body panels. The final product isn't likely to look like that.

I'm not saying it will look good, just saying it won't be that monstrosity.
^This.

Given the huge disparity between the front clip and the rest of the body, it's pretty obvious that this is just a test mule.

Besides, if it was anywhere near close to what the body will actually look like, they'd have an "overcoat" on it to hide it.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

It's clearly a chassis mule hidden by another body, but the main point is why create an suv coupe monster? I really hold out hope for a panamera wagon
Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
This.

My neighbor bought a X6 a year ago. When he was first looking he said he "feel in love with it",.. then he bought it.

Now he hates it. I was surprised it took a full year.
I'm not a fan of them either, but Mercedes' new GLE stole the body style too.

I read somewhere that this was a full electric test mule.
https://electrek.co/2016/08/07/all-e...upe-test-mule/
Old 08-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Geeze, not that bad. A lot of people (including myself) said the same thing about the Cayenne when it first came out. Now, I love the first gen body/look.

As long as they create a car as impressive as the Cayenne in terms of overall performance, driving emotion, etc., I don't really care. Not that I can afford it until it's a decade old used car, but either way... Also, whatever makes them boatloads of money.

That said, I would love to see a 944-esque entry-level (yes, more entry than the now-premium priced 718) car, but that is the great unicorn that I will never see.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:03 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by KWP1911
I'm not a fan of them either, but Mercedes' new GLE stole the body style too. ...
Interestingly my neighbor still loves the X6 body "Style", and I even like it too (including Mercedes GLE).. from the outside..... BUT, it's the interior that is just unusable.
Almost no back cargo area, and with the rear seat console, it's still just a 4 seater sedan similar to the Panamera (which is the majority of negative feedback Porsche is receiving on that vehicle, right?)

To me, if it's not a nice big SUV with room to haul, carry 5 or 6 people, tow, etc,... then I might as well be driving my 911 (or some low slung sports car). These cross-over sized vehicles seem a "Fad" to me. Soccer moms who can haul minimum sports gear (a lacrosse stick or baseball bat), along with their toddler or early teenager, and want to sit slightly higher than everyone else out on the road, but still drive something that resembles a sports car. They will not become collectibles or even something that people who buy used SUV's will look for after 10 yrs of being on the road (unlike the Cayenne which clearly people are STILL buying even after they've been used for 8+ yrs & 75k miles or more!!).

But even though I don't "get it", there are clearly a lot of people willing to separate from a lot of money to drive one of these,... so as Matt O said above,... whatever makes them boat loads of money!! Go for it.

I'm just willing to bet that the aggressive depreciation (that even we see on our Cayenne's) will be even MORE SO with these crossovers. Has anyone kept tabs on the depreciation rates for the Panamera's? I'm interested.

I also agree that if this mule is a Next Gen Hybrid, and comes with some serious mileage capabilities & quick charge technology,... then it will sell very well.

Hey Btw, nothing against Soccer Mom's. I was one once (but used a 4Runner)... although never as gooding looking as some of the soccer mom's running around here.

Last edited by bweSteve; 08-12-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The X6 still has some good looks to it. Honda's entry into the crossover market a few years ago produced one of the ugliest-looking vehicles since the Ford Edsel.

Now that I look closely at this eyesore, I can see where Porsche's design staff may have gotten some of their inspiration for the 1st gen Panamera...
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Originally Posted by Andy E.
The X6 still has some good looks to it. Honda's entry into the crossover market a few years ago produced one of the ugliest-looking vehicles since the Ford Edsel.

Now that I look closely at this eyesore, I can see where Porsche's design staff may have gotten some of their inspiration for the 1st gen Panamera...
I can see that!
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I'm just willing to bet that the aggressive depreciation (that even we see on our Cayenne's) will be even MORE SO with these crossovers. Has anyone kept tabs on the depreciation rates for the Panameras? I'm interested.
Panamera depreciation is brutal. On par with the Cayenne, maybe a bit worse. 10s, 11s &12s well under $50k all over the place. Some are under $40k.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Panamera depreciation is brutal. On par with the Cayenne, maybe a bit worse. 10s, 11s &12s well under $50k all over the place. Some are under $40k.
...which is a better reflection of their true value in the market. I love barely used cars like this to purchase and pile on the daily miles.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:05 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
...which is a better reflection of their true value in the market. I love barely used cars like this to purchase and pile on the daily miles.
Agreed.

I don't mind slightly used cars with big discounts off new.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.

I believe the Panamera was here first. Honda copied them, not the other way around. And that particular crossover actually looks nice in a black exterior, all the funny rear wing stuff sort of disappears. Any other color and it looks horrendous.

Of course you have Mercedes making a hearse:

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coupe Mule Spotted: FML