Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hifi speakers (option 490) into a non hifi rear deck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:15 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Rear Hifi speakers (option 490) into a non hifi rear deck?

Hi - I thought I read a thread about this before but now I cannot locate that thread. My 993 has the base non-hifi stereo.
I would like to ask - is it possible to put these from Gert - http://www.carnewal.com/products/P93...s-for-P93-Cars Into my car?

Would I need to enlarge the screw holes in the rear deck, or enlarge the actual speaker holes, or both? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:39 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,061 Posts

You may want to make a template from the replacement frame to mark the added holes you will need to put in the deck. I suspect the wiring harness is the same. No speaker in the deck will produce mid to low frequencies well due to the lack of an enclosed space behind the speaker. I would consider a basic set of aftermarket speakers as paying a premium price for the speaker components won't translate into improved sound beyond this. An inexpensive option if you want to go for the OE premium sound look is to buy a set of speaker units from a dismantler and with a little modification mount an aftermarket speaker in its frame.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Gert also let me know through email --- the rear Hifi speakers fit a standard rear shelf just fine ---- no holes need to be expanded --- neither mounting holes nor the hole for the actual speaker magnet.

That means good things --- if one wishes to replace the rear deck (say with one covered in leather) then one can use a rear deck from any car (hifi or non-hifi).
Old 08-06-2016, 02:07 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Thanks. Gert also let me know through email --- the rear Hifi speakers fit a standard rear shelf just fine ---- no holes need to be expanded --- neither mounting holes nor the hole for the actual speaker magnet.

That means good things --- if one wishes to replace the rear deck (say with one covered in leather) then one can use a rear deck from any car (hifi or non-hifi).
Yes, but not the other way around. The original hi-fi shelves have larger openings which a standard size 4x6 won't cover completely. That's why I needed to source a shelf from a non hi-fi car when I installed my a/d/s 200is.

I've got a leftover hi-fi shelf with speakers in classic grey if anyone is looking for one.

Cheers
Joe
Old 08-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Ah --- good point. Joe - you speak from experience!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not bottom mount aftermarket speakers using the existing hole & speaker covers? Might need to fabricate a thin wood trim ring to mount to worst case. Are you going for authentic? I'd guess modern speakers are going to be higher quality than the OEM stuff after all these years...
Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks. My original query was poorly worded. I was trying to find out if the Hifi rear speakers could mount to a standard deck without modifications - of which I now know that they can.

This is what I have done - Focal component speakers in the Hifi grille/assembly mounted to a standard fidelity deck.

I did end up hogging out the 4 screws holes in the deck a little bit and removing the blind nuts because the studs that project from the Hifi assemblies are thicker than the original screws/blind nuts.

PS do you still need the gratis door tweeters? If you pm me I can email you photos.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:29 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

nice work jlaa. How is the sound improvement? We have similar setups. Audio wise that is. Interiorwise your classic grey is starting to look better than mine
Old 08-07-2016, 12:25 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Hi JB!

The sound improvement from what I had before is, shall we say, moderately subtle. What I had before were inexpensive Kenwood 4x6 coax speakers in the rear with 2-way Focal components in the front doors. I never felt that the Kenwood speakers were a good tonal match for the front door Focal 2-way set. It seemed always to sound subtly goofy to me. Granted the rears are just for fill so changing out the rears are not going to make a ginormous difference.

Swapping out the rear Kenwood 4x6 speakers with Focal 2-way component 4" woofers / tweeter makes for a system that I think is more tonally matched --- another benefit I think is that high frequencies coming from the rear speakers are now particularly pleasant.

This is what I have in the front doors ---- note that the OE tweeters are disconnected.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:29 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
This is what I have done - Focal component speakers in the Hifi grille/assembly mounted to a standard fidelity deck.
PS do you still need the gratis door tweeters? If you pm me I can email you photos.
PM sent. Email inbound as well.

What rear component speakers did you use from Focal? Either of these?
Focal K2 Power 100KRS
Focal ES 100K

Quick Reply: Rear Hifi speakers (option 490) into a non hifi rear deck?