Notices

porsche track precision -> circuit tools problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:21 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default porsche track precision -> circuit tools problem

I have a session at NJMP from this weekend I want to analyze a bit more that I recorded using the Porsche Track Preceison app in my GT4 and a VBOX Sport for external GPS

when I export the session to a vbo file and import it (using the 10hz lograte as suggested by Porsche) I have several problems using it in Circuit Tools:

I get only 6 out of 13 laps recognized; if I look at whole session data the laps seem to be all there
the lap times are 5-7 seconds faster than they are supposed to be (and I believe the Porsche app otherwise it would be too good to be true...)

I have attached the vbo file (just rename it from csv to a vbo file as I had to get around the forum file restriction)

any suggestions to get the correct laptimes and to get all the laps?
(I am specifically looking for lap 7-10 as those where the good ones even though I hit some traffic)
Attached Files
Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Marc, did you remove the card from the VBox Sport and have all the laps on that?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

I had forgotten to put my SD card back in my vbox

so I only have the Porsche Track Precision Data that I was hoping to analyze through the vbo export in Circuit Tools

reviewing sector times, lines and doing lap comparisons and theoretical optimal laps is not really possible in the TPA hence my vbo export

opening the vbo file in excel it seems all the data is there... for some reason circuit tools doesn't recognize laps post lap 6
Old 06-06-2016, 04:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm sorry, Marc. If you had the VBOX Sport generated .vbo for that session, you'd be set. But, the incomplete session on your Precision Track App is due to a corruption in the Track App .vbo file... It's an issue with the Track App. I know that doesn't help. PLEASE keep that 2 GB card in the VBOX Sport! It could record a decade of track days and still have room...
Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

I just walked to the car and put it back in the vbox..... you only learn from failure :-)

btw I send an email to circuit logic with the file and will ask them to have a look as the file looks good to me....
Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

wanted to provide an update:

racelogic has been extremely helpful in trouble shooting
they showed me how to change the start finish gate to be larger and it recognized the missing laps.

the 5-7s lap difference is being worked on as well; I had a different recording where I had Porsche files nd vbox created vbo files of the same session and they showed discrepancies as well.

They are still working with Porsche to further troubleshoot
Old 06-17-2016, 01:53 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Default solution in sight...

Porsche identified 2 major problems of which the fixes will be released together with further updates in the next month or so....

I am hoping to get a beta version to confirm some of the fixes....
Old 06-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Great work doing the testing and development on this. I know from experience how difficult it can be when working with multiple companies. You're doing the Porsche track community a huge favor.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Porsche released a new version of the Track Precision App that seems to have resolved the problems listed in this thread . version is 1.6.1.6295
Old 08-01-2016, 02:20 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good to hear. 1.6.1 also fixes the problem I was having with autofocus that made it unusable at higher video resolutions. (Well, at least for me it did.)

Your post reminds me to post this:

This is a lap of my home "track", using two devices recording simultaneously. The blue trace is a .vbo file, exported from Track Precision 1.6.1. The red trace is a .vbo file from my Vbox HD2. A Vbox Sport with an external antenna was supplying Track Precision with GPS data so, as you'd expect, it's very close to what's coming from the HD2.

I find it interesting to look at the data coming from the Track Precision .vbo file. I like how Porsche writes all the data that comes from the car into the .vbo. It shows that, for all the initial problems with Track Precision, that Porsche is serious about making it a useful tool.

You'll notice there's not much data in the red column. I think that's because Circuit Tools uses the format of the first .vbo it opens to decide what data fields will be available. If you then open a file with differently named data fields, you won't see those. For example, Track Precision uses "engine speed" in its .vbo; the HD2 uses "Engine_Speed". I opened the TP .vbo file first, so that's what Circuit Tool uses.

There's no reason to do this in the real world; I was just curious to test the new version of Track Precision so did it while I was testing something on the Vbox.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I like your "test lap."
Old 08-01-2016, 04:14 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a very famous track.... I'm not sure if my neighbors who live on the track are so impressed!

Old 08-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
You'll notice there's not much data in the red column. I think that's because Circuit Tools uses the format of the first .vbo it opens to decide what data fields will be available. If you then open a file with differently named data fields, you won't see those. For example, Track Precision uses "engine speed" in its .vbo; the HD2 uses "Engine_Speed". I opened the TP .vbo file first, so that's what Circuit Tool uses.

There's no reason to do this in the real world; I was just curious to test the new version of Track Precision so did it while I was testing something on the Vbox.
Could that be a problem if you were comparing files from different cars with different channel names?
Old 08-01-2016, 05:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Could that be a problem if you were comparing files from different cars with different channel names?
As it is a known issue with AiM, MoTeC and others...
Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 PM
brel
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that IOS version came out first. Google Play is still showing version 1.6 from March 18th. Hopefully, we'll see 1.6.1 for Android shortly.

Quick Reply: porsche track precision -> circuit tools problem