Sponsored by:

Heel/Toe options in an 87 944S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heel/Toe options in an 87 944S?

I did my first track day last week and the old girl held together.
My biggest complaint is I couldn't rev match because the two are just too far apart with the gas pedal being much lower than the brake. I'm tall (6'4") but have enough room to move.

Besides the expensive Rennline option are there any other devices or ideas others have done to solve the issue?

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-26-2016, 08:29 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Heel/Toe options in an 87 944S?

Interesting. Drive various 944 flavors on track for many years always found pedals ideally place. What technique are you using?

I place the ball of my foot on outside part of brake pedal and roll my foot over to blip the throttle.
Ross explains:

This example uses more of lower part of foot however.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What shoes are you wearing? On the street in my regular sneakers I use the left side of my foot on the brake, and roll the right side to the gas for blips. On the track with driving shoes on I have started getting comfortable doing a traditional heel/toe. The skinny shoe and heavier brake pedal application lines everything up perfectly. It is possible being your first track day you weren't using the full extension of brake pedal, so things didn't line up.

But to answer your basic question, there may be other options for pedals but the rennline kit is the most popular.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:28 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

To answer you both:
I have to do more of a toe-toe where the left most of my foot is on the brake and I roll the right onto the gas during the shift.

When I was standing on the brakes a couple times I really tried and the gas pedal was just too far away from the brake to even reach. I wear a 11.5-12 shoe so maybe I'm just too tall/big to do it properly.

Maybe all I need to do is get the pedal side extension to narrow the gap?

Thanks for the links.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's how i heel/toe on the street, most likely since you're getting full travel on the pedal you'd be able to do a traditional heel/toe. With the car stopped or off see how your foot fits with standing on the brake and trying to tap the gas with your heel. I was never able to do that on the street, on the track it only took a few laps to get it working.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have small feet and use the same technique in the video. I have attached waffle pattern plates to pedals with the throttle offset to the left. This narrows the gap to make it much easier for heal toe. When threshold braking I want the ball of my foot on the brake pedal for feel/modulation.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

It's just a question of getting used to it ... there is a big difference in feel between my 911 and the 944 !
I heel and toe everything i drive , be it my Mazda 3 or my son's Subaru Impreza,takes a little practice but you'll get it !
Old 07-26-2016, 01:36 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I extended my gas pedal over with a piece of carbon fiber I had available. (just made an overlay and bolted to the gas pedal and trimmed to my liking)

sort of like this (not mine, but just like it)

BTW - I wear 12's = so have to roll my foot to rev match - if I get it in there sideways, might not get it out.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:46 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

On a 44 you can adjust the brake pedal to line up with the gas pedal when on full brake. This will help you be able to just roll your foot almost on the same plane to get the blip.

I have 13 narrow feet and have no problems getting a good heel toe downshift.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Tilton pedal box was the solution in my 944. Had to remove one of the blower motors or my foot would get stuck.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,890 Likes on 1,773 Posts

I have an '87 944T and I have used the Rennline pedal for a bunch of years. You get what you pay for!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
To answer you both:
I have to do more of a toe-toe where the left most of my foot is on the brake and I roll the right onto the gas during the shift.

When I was standing on the brakes a couple times I really tried and the gas pedal was just too far away from the brake to even reach. I wear a 11.5-12 shoe so maybe I'm just too tall/big to do it properly.

Maybe all I need to do is get the pedal side extension to narrow the gap?

Thanks for the links.
I also have the Rennline pedal, it is a good upgrade when you get to it. I maybe unusual but I do not try to heel/toe under heavy braking. I tend to shift at the end of the braking cycle which takes a smaller blip to match.

I normally do not brake with the transmission as the clutch in these cars are a PITA to change.

I use a modified version of the video as I do not use the clutch when I hit the brake all the time. Depending on speed and the corner.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rlets
Tilton pedal box was the solution in my 944. Had to remove one of the blower motors or my foot would get stuck.

Aren't they good!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I also have the Rennline pedal, it is a good upgrade when you get to it. I maybe unusual but I do not try to heel/toe under heavy braking. I tend to shift at the end of the braking cycle which takes a smaller blip to match.

I normally do not brake with the transmission as the clutch in these cars are a PITA to change.

I use a modified version of the video as I do not use the clutch when I hit the brake all the time. Depending on speed and the corner.
Clutchless shifting??
Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by rlm328

Interesting as that's what I was trying to do in the end. I just wasn't getting used to it enough to be able to get it down to 2nd in time at the end of the straight. It doesn't like going 3rd to 2nd all that much so I ended up doing most of the track in 3rd and 4th gear...that's a whole other issue I am dealing with and not the context of this thread.

I did see a post about adjusting the brake pedal down a little. Thanks to all who have posted! I love learning about all this.

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe options in an 87 944S?