Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

what's this wireless receiver that is hanging down next to the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:28 AM
happyclam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's this wireless receiver that is hanging down next to the clutch?

shouldn't be hanging down should it?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:31 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Obama's NSA's device !!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Lo-Jack?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WiFi Booster or extender. Used to extend the distance of a weak WiFi signal.

As for antenna orientation that's a complex subject.

It could be used to extend the WiFi capability of a phone in tethering mode, or as a extender for a home base router to get the WiFi out to the car and area around the car. Whatever WiFi it's linked to will be extended.

[edit; It's actually a transceiver, as it both transmits and receives. ]
Old 07-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Definitely not stock. There should be a model # or at least an FCC registration number on it.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

My insurance company (Nationwide) keeps asking if I want to participate in a program to lower my rates. Essentially they put some type of GPS tracker in the car for a period of time (30 days maybe) then review driving habits (acceleration, speed, sudden stops, time of day driven, total driving time, etc) and depending on what they see will potentially discount my insurance. My agent has assured me that it can't impact my premium by increasing it, only decreasing. I have my doubts so I haven't opted to participate.

I don't believe the unit has broadcasting capabilities, but I've never seen one in person. Perhaps its something similar?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Is it plugged into the OBDII port?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:59 PM
happyclam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell. I'll have to get in there and examine. It takes contortions.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:11 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
My insurance company (Nationwide) keeps asking if I want to participate in a program to lower my rates. Essentially they put some type of GPS tracker in the car for a period of time (30 days maybe) then review driving habits (acceleration, speed, sudden stops, time of day driven, total driving time, etc) and depending on what they see will potentially discount my insurance. My agent has assured me that it can't impact my premium by increasing it, only decreasing. I have my doubts so I haven't opted to participate.

I don't believe the unit has broadcasting capabilities, but I've never seen one in person. Perhaps its something similar?
I would read the disclaimer very carefully. It's possible that they won't raise your rates, but they might drop you or decline coverage in the event of an accident. Progressive offers this tool as well. I know nothing about it, but you can be assured that if an insurance co is offering it to you, it's not for your best interest, it's for theirs.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 PM
kingfred
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92

I have Nationwide and I signed up for their SmartRide program on previous cars in the last 2 years. They offer up to 15% discount based on how far you drive, but in reality if you barely drive your car you will see around 7-10% off your bill. The device they send you connects to your ODBII port and has a built in mobile phone that reports your daily driving habits back to their control center, where you can view how many miles you drove on their website. You have to keep the device connected to your car for at least 6 months. In California they only report mileage driven and your discount is based only on that, in other states your discount is based on how you drive and the more times you slam on the brakes or floor the accelerator will lower your discount. Now that I sold my other cars that had the discount and bought 2 Porsches I have not signed up for the program again.
In regards to this thread, the device pictured is nothing like what the SmartRide device looks like.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:41 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Welcome kingfred - strong first post. How's about an intro thread with some pics?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:43 PM
kingfred
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Welcome kingfred - strong first post. How's about an intro thread with some pics?
Thank you. I've been lurking around for a while. I actually have a '17 Macan and Boxster, but I saw this thread and thought I would comment since I had more information. I'll post up an intro thread soon.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Miss a payment and you'll maybe find out?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:44 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Big brother is watching you...

Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,003 Posts

My vote it's a GPS tracking devise. What you're seeing is the transmitter.

My nephew purchased a used Lexus on craigslist and paid cash money. The person that sold him the car had put a tracker on it and he came and stole it back in the middle of the night. The car was originally stolen from the lease owner out of Florida. The FBI/GBI got involved and caught the thieves. They are currently sitting in prison.

Again, I think it's a GPS transmitter for tracking the vehicle in case it was stolen, but I could be wrong. Without better pictures, this could be one of many types of electronic devises.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 07-25-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: what's this wireless receiver that is hanging down next to the clutch?