Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

film protection installation process and CQuartz - i'm little nervous

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:01 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

I wouldn't own a black car without a full wrap. While a fresh clean unwrapped black car will be more glossy than wrapped, the wrap means it is way way way easier to keep the car clean. Self healing wrap + a coating means you can wipe down the car with a waterless wash or quick detailer like reload and throw a cover on whenever without fear of swirls or micro scratches that make owning black cars usually such a nightmare.

I have XPEL + cquartz and it's not invincible (can still get water spots and bird stains) or invisible, but it's an awesome ownership experience
Old 06-06-2016, 06:10 PM
991PTSRS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suntek without a doubt and you can coat it after for easy maintenance.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok guys
i will go with Suntek
and apply CQuartz on top

thank you very much for the tips and info
Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

Suntek is thinner than Xpel and that is why on some cars it looks better. You must decide between better protection(Xpel because more mil) or Suntek-maybe slightly better clarity. There is always a trade-off. A lot of installers prefer Suntek because easier to work with. I can barely tell the difference in Clarity so I went for the protection -Xpel. I have had 3 cars done in Xpel and have (0) complaints. I am sure there will be better films developed as improvements are made.

In the end - If your Installer is on top of his game he will recommend the brand he likes to work with and that would be what I would go with
Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Pelo911 ~ You're in good hands with Jason and his PPF installer. I've had Jason do numerous cars of mine, and have heard rave reviews of the PPF guy that he uses. I'm sure you'll be super happy at the end result.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I just checked my install. The edge of the Suntek goes right to the edge of the bumper and the edge by the mesh. You can't tell its there. My car is Agate Grey.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Suntek is thinner than Xpel and that is why on some cars it looks better. You must decide between better protection(Xpel because more mil) or Suntek-maybe slightly better clarity. There is always a trade-off. A lot of installers prefer Suntek because easier to work with. I can barely tell the difference in Clarity so I went for the protection -Xpel. I have had 3 cars done in Xpel and have (0) complaints. I am sure there will be better films developed as improvements are made.

In the end - If your Installer is on top of his game he will recommend the brand he likes to work with and that would be what I would go with
Do you have a 991 GT3 with Xpel? I just got mine done last Saturday and I'm not happy at all.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Do you have a 991 GT3 with Xpel? I just got mine done last Saturday and I'm not happy at all.
Had (3)cars with Xpel and now on my CR GT4 and best job yet. Previous installer very good but new one excellent. Many of us GT4s have been using sameCompany here in North Shore and every one happy.

Usually never the film but the installer
Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Had (3)cars with Xpel and now on my CR GT4 and best job yet. Previous installer very good but new one excellent. Many of us GT4s have been using sameCompany here in North Shore and every one happy.

Usually never the film but the installer
Do you have a black car with the film on it? I'd like to know if you see any stretch mark/lift lines. You're correct about that is the installer but in my case I've been told "that's normal".
Old 07-14-2016, 01:45 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As many have said, most important factor is going to be installer skill. Film can be chosen by the installer for many many reasons, not all those reasons are for your benefit. Cost, ease of installation etc. all come into play. In the right hands, many of the top coated films on the market will serve you well. We choose ClearGuard Nano for its thickness, and high gloss factor shine (looks like coated paint). We also install Xpel Ultimate which is a great film. SunTek has its limitations, thickness and longevity has caused me to no longer carry this film line.

That being said it only takes one bad installation to completely ruin the value of PPF. Even many "industry professionals" some even mentioned in this thread don't produce the work they say they do. So how do you find a good installer? See the work in person, see if it meets your standards and quality you expect. Look at how corners and edges are wrapped, look at trim lines for inconsistencies. These will all show you the level of talent, experience and most importantly dedication the installer has in producing the best result for your vehicle.

Here is an example of an install done by the "best shop" in our area:

As you can see there is much to be desired. Its important to find an installer that will treat your car as if its their own.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:26 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Many of us GT4s have been using sameCompany here in North Shore and every one happy.
Jimmy-D - would you share who you used, or PM me please? Tx
Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by ezinternet
Jimmy-D - would you share who you used, or PM me please? Tx
Chicago Auto Pros- Talk to Greg. They opened a facility in Glenview but also have one in Glenn Ellyn

Quick Reply: film protection installation process and CQuartz - i'm little nervous