Sponsored by:

991 TTS owner, just test drove a 991 GT3 *swoon*

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 991 TTS owner, just test drove a 991 GT3 *swoon*

Hello everyone! My first post on Rennlist!

I wanted to share my experience with the GT3 on a test drive my dealer up here in Seattle was kind enough to arrange for me. I'm currently an owner of a 991 TTS and have always wanted to know what the Porsche GT car experience is like. I'm currently 8th in line for an RS allocation but the urge is strong with wanting to trade in the TTS... That's a separate conversation, heh. Anyways, my initial impressions (obvious for all of you but wanted to offer my perspective coming from a TTS):

– First off, those 918 buckets. I find them more comfortable than my 18-ways, at least for the 30 minutes we were out and about. The level of support is incredible. I equate it to finding the right bicycle saddle that actually fits your body than one that may not but has generous amounts of padding. I brought my helmet and find that the seat may be slightly too upright.

– This one had the front axle lift system. It's my first experience with any sort of lift system and it seemed to operate quickly and quietly. It brings the car's front splitter about an inch to an inch and a half *lower* than my TTS. So, it's still fairly low but will clear most driveway ramps (not mine though lol) and speed bumps. At the standard ride height, the front splitter sits at a little over half the height of an iPhone 6.

– With the car being a good bit lower than the standard 911s, it felt like a pretty big difference when going around bends. Planted, no roll whatsoever, that go-kart feeling from being closer to the ground.

– Damn, the PDK-S. It's so fast in the upper rev ranges and the engine speed changes instantly. Turning on the PDK Sport mode and shifting at redline under full throttle gives a really, really satisfying nudge as it slams into the next gear. I know Chris Harris has particular views around this computer-pretends-to-not-drive-properly mode, but DAMN SO GOOD. The steering wheel paddles are also quite a bit stiffer with less travel.

– Speaking of redline, I envy everyone with high-revving engines. Right between 8000 and 9000 RPM it absolutely wails and the metallic scream gives you goosebumps. Quite different than what sounds like a really angry vacuum cleaner, heh.

– The car rides, dare I say, better than my 991 Turbo. The dampening in my car has a very faint hollow feel, whereas in the GT3 it's firm but much more direct — direct as in communicative but not harsh whatsoever. It's like when you hit a bump, the tire sticks to the road and around the bump where my Turbo feels like it very slightly loses contact. Even with the dampers in the stiffer setting, comfort wasn't really sacrificed. It's freaky how well-mannered this car is just noodling around town. Going over things like railway tracks obviously things are harder-riding.

– This car has an aftermarket exhaust (not sure what the brand is). UUUUGGHHHHH so good.

– Cabin noise while on the freeway, surprisingly not that much louder than my TTS!

These Porsche GT cars really are special machines. Y'all are so lucky!!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM
murph85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Best. Car. Ever.

Get one!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:18 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Asking price for this is $166k, used with 12,000 miles :\
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by francisluu
Asking price for this is $166k, used with 12,000 miles :\
That's steep. Got my 2015 with 900 miles for $148k when she was 9 months old. Yours has more options however.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:11 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Welcome to rennlist. I am rather captivated by your profile picture, what was the context? Now that you have been bitten by the GT-bug, it is only a matter of time till you succumb or risk assuming the fetal position.

*That rear center section appears to be one of our GMG WC-GT pieces.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-06-2016, 08:14 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmgracing
I am rather captivated by your profile picture, what was the context?
Like all of us, we look back at our cars as we park them and walk away. The lights hadn't turned off yet and it seemed like a cool photo. So, snap and then on to Instagram!

That exhaust, so good!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice succinct thoughts - appreciate it. And welcome to the GT club. Love my gt3. Though the TTS is something else as well - different, but very nice.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will not regret it, buy it and smile all day long.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Before test driving a 2015 Porsche Turbo S the sales man described to me as "video game fast"... I thought what the hell does that mean...until I pushed on the gas pedal! Did you feel the GT3 was faster? They're 2 different animals, i have the bucket seats and you do feel like you're sitting on the ground, it's awesome!
You nailed it with your description, it's really a special car.
P.S. That one looks like it has the iron rotors.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 531 Posts

The 991 GT cars are amazing.

That said, 90% of the time I look at my TTS and GT in the garage and feel like going for a fun drive on public roads I will take the TTS over the GT. It's faster, more comfortable, and with an am exhaust even sounds half way decent ... plus I had many an expensive drug in my shameful youth that didn't make me as high as launching the TTS ten times in a row. Conversely I'll pick the GT 90% of the time I head to the track ... 'horses for courses' and all that.

Both cars are amazing in their own way ... it sounds like the GT3 is the better fit for you.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

I really do love my TTS. I've got a few mods coming (Akrapovic exhaust, open element intake system, IPD plenum and Y-pipe) that hopefully brings things in the sound department up a notch or two. It obviously is no match for what the GT3 offers. I think I'm gonna wait and enjoy the TTS a bit more (only six months of ownership) and then re-evaluate if/when my turn comes up for an RS allocation.

Or I crack and just do it now lol.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

FWIW I didn't buy my GT3 (was also heavily considered the TTS) until I knew I wanted it. It took me about 6 months to say that. I live at altitude, so the Turbo is much faster here. In the end, I subjectively chose "special" over very, very fast. I think I would have been happy either way.

You can't go wrong with either car. Both are awesome in their own way. But right now it sounds like you are not in that mindset where you know for sure what you want. I would just wait until you know.

And you will eventually know. The process of figuring that out is half the fun. No need to rush it.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:33 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

hey francisluu, great first post and observations , welcome aboard here , The GT has bitten so it's only a matter of time . For me I put a deposit down at the Geneva roll out and had never driven
a 991 car and intentionally turned down many offers to drive a 991 car and held off a year and a haft till I drove my GT3 off the lot ; the full shock and awe was achieved !!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey OP
Porsche day at Redmond Town Center this sat July 9,rain or shine. Should have almost 200 cars there. Get there early with your car.

Quick Reply: 991 TTS owner, just test drove a 991 GT3 *swoon*