Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet sanded through clear coat - any 95% options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016 | 11:43 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Default Wet sanded through clear coat - any 95% options?

I got a bit carried away with 2000 grit wet sanding a paint defect and went right through the clearcoat.

Needless to say I am quite upset with myself - I was trying to take a break from the horrible job of removing interior carpet and now I have made my project yet more involved.

The area is dime sized in front of the rear wheel. I have new stone guards handy can can always replace these OE stone guards. Does anyone have any experience in SF with one of those mobile high end guys that come to you abd do localized small paint job/repairs ... Like for high end f cars abd other folks who generally want to avoid bodyshops?

Just wondering if I can get away without the trauma of leaving the carat a bodyshop / overspray mess everywhere/ etc... And reshooting the whole quarter panel.

Advice welcome.

:

Old 07-03-2016 | 11:55 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

The base coat is super thin and the grey underneath is the primer. Shops CAN do spot repairs but you will always see them. To make things even more interesting you have pearl in your paint, which is a PITA to match properly.
An option might be for them to try and mask to the door, mask to the stone guard and maybe mask up above somewhere and try to blend it in. Even IF they nail the color matching you will still see a flaw as a ridge or a splotch that just doesn't look right.

Sorry, not trying to be a bummer. I would probably opt for this compromise fix as well, knowing I could do it right later down the road.
Old 07-03-2016 | 11:56 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

It all depends on what you are willing to accept.
Old 07-03-2016 | 11:59 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

you are not alone my friend. do not fret
I was hand compounding a spot of bird poop damage off a friends A-pillar and went right through the clear, and the paint! I took the truck to a local body shop, they had to spray and blend it. came out perfect though, and only took them about two days....
Name:  A10D0F8C-4F56-407A-9CE3-7D376AC0342E.jpg
Views: 3761
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 07-03-2016 | 12:14 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

THANK YOU. And I am really appreciative of the words of commiseration / do not fret. My wife does not share my heartache, as many I am sure can relate. :-)

I am willing to accept a small area down on the QP there that is not exactly right - maybe 90 prcent right ... Because it is down there and not easily seen....

I am not sure if I have gone thru the base coat to the primer (below)

Old 07-03-2016 | 01:13 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Default Rear gender guards

To add insult to injury, the OE gender guards want to come off in little bits, even after using a hair dryer / steamer. :-)

Old 07-03-2016 | 03:34 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Man taking the carpet adhesive out really sucks. That was not a fun job at all.

--Michael
Old 07-03-2016 | 03:56 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

PM sent.
Old 07-03-2016 | 03:58 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Man taking the carpet adhesive out really sucks. That was not a fun job at all.

--Michael
Yeah now because the paint issue i am tackling twoof the most tedious jobs in parallel - interior carpet and removing the stone guard. When frustrated with one, I switch to the other for a different kind of frustration.

Btw credit cards dont work well with the rock guards that like to splinter into a million pieces ... I think plastic drywall tools work better. Carpets are getting there ...

Old 07-03-2016 | 04:00 PM
95_993
Race Car

If the base coat is intact, a
Good shop may be able to wet sand rest of panel and reshoot clear only. Not sure if it's an option.
Old 07-03-2016 | 04:57 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Yeah now because the paint issue i am tackling twoof the most tedious jobs in parallel - interior carpet and removing the stone guard. When frustrated with one, I switch to the other for a different kind of frustration.
Ugh, I'd rather pull and re-install 10 engines that do those two jobs.

Sorry about your paint. My suggestion is to take it to good shop to get an opinion. I've have good experience with B&S in Dublin.
Old 07-03-2016 | 10:07 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JM993
Ugh, I'd rather pull and re-install 10 engines that do those two jobs.

Sorry about your paint. My suggestion is to take it to good shop to get an opinion. I've have good experience with B&S in Dublin.
Joe, I'll gladly take off your stone guards and strip your carpet out in return for 10 engine drops!!

I can do brainless mindless repetition. Or anything electrical. Complex mechanical work -- not part of my repertoire.

Old 07-04-2016 | 01:05 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Keep us updated. I have a bird poop spot on top of rear fender that bugs me. I've been told that the whole quarter panel would need to be shot. Then I ask myself where do I stop....
Old 07-04-2016 | 10:07 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Well, that sucks.

I agree with EMBPilot - don't fret. This is all part of the learning process.

I have to say, I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw the "95% option" from you. Something tells me your 95% = the average RLer's 99% = the average Joe's 99.9999999%. I mean come on... you still have a tape deck!
Old 07-04-2016 | 02:02 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
Well, that sucks.

I agree with EMBPilot - don't fret. This is all part of the learning process.

I have to say, I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw the "95% option" from you. Something tells me your 95% = the average RLer's 99% = the average Joe's 99.9999999%. I mean come on... you still have a tape deck!
Well thank you. You have my brain pegged. :-) and the tape deck is awesome, especially when I listen to all my Columbia House and BMG cassettes - especially the Billy Ocean ones.

I will report back what I find out. Ive consigned myself to the possibility of a body shop. It is the idea of a body shop that bugs me - overspray, car in other's possession, possibility for collateral damage, etc....

Anyways, I finally got the stone guard removed. Geez that took about 4-5 hrs total with 3M adhesive remover and the spackle scraping tool.

I am loath to do the other side...

Quick Reply: Wet sanded through clear coat - any 95% options?